Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Rams ready to part ways with Alex Barron(M.E.T.)

Ajamrani

Trade JC for Barron and swap draft positions in round 1. Draft Bradford or Claussen.

Start Collins, backup with Brennan or Jeff Garcia (in that case Brennan would be cut) and groom Bradfore/Claussen as the 3rd stringer.

Draft O-line in the 2nd round, and go from there. We could fill in on the O-line with veteran free agents thru free agency, maybe some one from Denver?

In 2011 go with Claussen.

In other words, I'm more confident with Todd Collins or Jeff Garcia than I am with JC until we get to our future QB. We need to start building Rome back up.

I think I have found my long lost twin :)

Because they thought he could play LT when they drafted him.

in 08 they had him listed as playing RT and have him ranked 65th.

i dunno. that, combined with them willing to part with him makes me think he isnt very good. is he?

in 08 they had him listed as playing RT and have him ranked 65th.

i dunno. that, combined with them willing to part with him makes me think he isnt very good. is he?

He's godawful. He's a lot more athletic but plays as bad Heyer and false starts more.

Third day draft pick and nothing higher. I have no idea why anyone on this board would want to trade a statistically "average" QB for a below average OL.

Everyone wants to say QB > OL value wise, yet want to trade an okay QB for a bad OL, I don't get it. Alex Barron is not a good player and lacks passion for the game. I'll take him for a late pick and let him compete but he's hardly a solution to any of our problems other than versatile depth.

];7330992']I wouldn't trade a 7th rounder for him.

Seriously.

I see your point in the sense that he has proved to suck and a seventh could at least have a chance at hitting on a gem but I still think I'd make the trade for a 5th or beyond. Barron is athletic but seems to lack passion. Possibly poor work ethic, maybe he's an idiot I really don't know enough about him to be making any of those claims.

What I do know is third day picks are unlikely to contribute. Many won't make their teams and if they do they will likely be buried on the depth chart and possibly play ST. Barron could be a very good #3 swing tackle with starting experience. A change of scenery might be all he needs but obviously he is not someone you trade for expecting to lock down a starting position.

I remember a couple days ago on Ram's radio they were talking about him, and how he stinks and they wasted a pick on him. I think if we were to trade him, and waste one of our top picks on him, that would be one of the dumbest things we could possibly do. They don't want him because he's an idiot and in four years (I think it's been four) he hasn't been able to figure out how not to move during the snap count. They also said he's got no passion (and, it sounded like, no interest) in football. He does it cause it's his job and he gets money for it.

If we take a chance on him, I guess okay, if we trade a pick for him, dumb dumb dumb. Sure give up a 7th, no wait we're good with 7ths, give them a 6th and throw in a Redskins gift bag. Actually.....lets just give them the gift bag, and some season tickets.

Third day draft pick and nothing higher. I have no idea why anyone on this board would want to trade a statistically "average" QB for a below average OL.

Everyone wants to say QB > OL value wise, yet want to trade an okay QB for a bad OL, I don't get it. Alex Barron is not a good player and lacks passion for the game. I'll take him for a late pick and let him compete but he's hardly a solution to any of our problems other than versatile depth.

This.

As a former FSU player, I wish Barron was at all worth anything. But he's not.

Any talk of trading picks, even a 7th round pick, is dumb. As well as trading Campbell.

The only deal that would be worth discussing would be Heyer for Barron, straight up, as someone else mentioned. That would be pretty equal.

Here's the thing... Baron is a very athletic tackle, however, he has made a lot (and I mean a freakin' lot) of stupid false start penalties. I've watched a lot of Rams games over the years (they were my favorite team from '79 until '08--until I finally promoted the 'Skins as my #1... what took so long? I don't know... stupidity I think... anyway...) and here's what I've noticed about him--he has good footwork but can get overpowered at times.

Now maybe I'm wrong, but I think his false starts are attributed to the fact that he's often too worried about power rushers beating him and he tries to get the jump on them positioning-wise, which leads to a lot of false starts. So, while he's not that strong at the point of attack, I think he might be able to excel in a zone blocking scheme such as the kind Shannahan uses.

Bottom line, I think Shanny and Co. would know best if Alex would be useful in their system or not. If they would make an offer, I'd give our new coaching staff and GM the benefit of the doubt and hold any opinion on Baron until the end of training camp.

I wouldn't trade a pick for him even a 7th rounder....I would almost bet the house on Pashos being our RT next year, long term, anyone's guess who might play RT in 3 years but I don't see Barron unless it was him getting signed as a UFA but I doubt Rams release him outright.

i think i'd rather take a gandy, pashos, tauscher or clifton (didnt he come out of retirement last year?) as UFA's than an underacheiver which will cost picks.

funny thing is scout.com has him rated as a 4 star tackle, but everything i read about him is negative. they have rabach as a 4 star center, so maybe they are grading on the curve :)

spartacus, you played for FSU? or you mean barron?

There is no point in trading for him. I think the Rams are going to cut him anyway. Bill Devaney, the Rams' GM, loathes him and claims that Barron is passionate about basketball, not football.

i was thinking that if they are already asking for 'only' a second for him (according to the arcticle, it sounds like they just want to get rid of him) why not just wait, since it sounds like nodody would give up a pick for him anyway. they clearly dont sound like they are keeping him, so he'll get cut.

kind of like the brunell situation a few years ago when we gave up a pick prematurely.

i think i'd rather take a gandy, pashos, tauscher or clifton (didnt he come out of retirement last year?) as UFA's than an underacheiver which will cost picks.

funny thing is scout.com has him rated as a 4 star tackle, but everything i read about him is negative. they have rabach as a 4 star center, so maybe they are grading on the curve :)

spartacus, you played for FSU? or you mean barron?

Haha no, I didn't play for FSU, I meant Barron. I worded that kind of strangely though, looking back on it.

I also like your list of OL to look at besides Barron.

I've never looked at the Scout NFL stuff. Interesting that they rate players with star rankings.

Archived