Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rolling Stone: Wall Street's Bailout Hustle

haithman

MATT TAIBBI is the best in the business. If you want a guy that blasts both sides of the aisle equally and has no affiliation with any interest, read his stuff.

Matt is a smart and well-informed individual, but he's definitely got an agenda. He's a liberal populist and he doesn't really make any effort at all to hide his personal beliefs and biases. IMO, he's a more intelligent version Glenn Beck. Their politics are very different, but they are both hyper-emotional editorialists who fashion themselves as the purveyors of truth.

Matt is a smart and well-informed individual, but he's definitely got an agenda. He's a liberal populist and he doesn't really make any effort at all to hide his personal beliefs and biases. IMO, he's a more intelligent version Glenn Beck. Their politics are very different, but they are both hyper-emotional editorialists who fashion themselves as the purveyors of truth.

Political agenda's aside this article does a great job of shedding light on the practices within the industry in a succinct manner. Many people know/have known what is going on and the evidence is out there to see but this article puts it in a way that is easy to understand for most people.

If it's in Rolling Stone, it's got an agenda. They are horribly biased.

Great article. It's amazing no one else is really reporting this stuff. And it's not a partisan issue.

Exactly.

Its a damn shame GS is even allowed to exist. That entire company should be broken up and its board and CEO put in handcuffs

But they also were the President's biggest contributor and have many White House connections.

Sure, Taibbi has as agenda ( as if that is a bad thing). He was one of the few voices out there that is exposing the horror of the bailouts and wall-street ( particularly Goldman Sachs). I love left-liberal populists, we could use more of them.

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion, including journalists. I just don't like how so every news article reads like an op-ed these days, even when I agree with what the authors are saying. IMO, the "Glenn Beckization" of the news media is bad for America.

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion, including journalists. I just don't like how so every news article reads like an op-ed these days, even when I agree with what the authors are saying. IMO, the "Glenn Beckization" of the news media is bad for America.

Well, I really don't consider that a bad thing. Objective reporting is impossible. Frankly, I wish our media was more like Europe's. They don't hide their biases and pretend to be objective.

Well, I really don't consider that a bad thing. Objective reporting is impossible. Frankly, I wish our media was more like Europe's. They don't hide their biases and pretend to be objective.

The most persuasive op-eds are those that weigh the pros and cons of a particular policy and tell you why they've decided X. Unfortunately, few of the Glenn Beck types do that. Instead, they tend to oversimplify and obfuscate and engage in "talking point" reporting that is heavy on platitudes and light on real analysis.

In any case, what makes a guy like Taibbi competent to determine whether the bailouts are, on balance, good for the economy? He writes about whatever is topical, including armed conflicts, Washington politics, legal developments, the economy, social issues, etc. He's essentially asked to be a jack of all trades and a master of none. It's good to have guys like Taibbi engage in investigative reporting and, if they uncover some fraud or wrongdoing, to expose it.

However, if I want to hear opinions on a subject, I'll either go to ES :) or I'll read op-eds that are written by people with expertise. For example, I'll read op-eds written by guys like Paul Krugman and Milton Friedman (RIP) to learn what people "in the know" think about a particular issue concerning the economy.

Archived