Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wiz Fans Rejoice: Butler, Haywood and Stevenson to Mavs

skinfan2k

Michael Jordan as a Wizard kicked ass. I don't care if he was washed up, he was 40 freaking years old and repeatedly put up 40 points per game. How does that happen? No 40 year old has done it before or after those seasons.

Growing up and getting acquainted to the NBA back then I used to read the Sports page at school every day and read about the exploits of MJ, how he dominated teams. Will never forget MJ in a Wizards uniform, those were good times

Growing up in NOVA until leaving for college, I was a Bullets fan. I saw their great years.....saw them play the Supersonics live back in their glory. Unseld and Hayes.

After another decade of following that team, one thing became very clear:

They are only in the league to provide easy wins to the good teams.

That is important in sports. For every winner, there needs to be a few terrible teams for them to beat.

Unhitch yourselves from this nightmare now. It took me over ten years to realize it. And 20 years later? It was a fantastic decision.

Well said, and I agree. Fortunately I grew up only a casual Bullets fan...I wanted them to win, but didn't really care. I was a die-hard Skins and Caps fan, however.

I think I've avoided a lot of senseless pain over the years by never getting too caught up in the Bullets/Wizards.

I honestly don't know how the die-hard Wizards fans do it. The Skins give me enough heartache each season to last a full year. If I were a Wizards nut on top of it, they'd have to put me in the funny farm.

Unhitch yourselves from this nightmare now. It took me over ten years to realize it. And 20 years later? It was a fantastic decision.

This team should have folded a decade ago. They serve no purpose every season, except to get taken apart by the better teams. And like the Clippers, that isn't going to change.

Wow, for a minute I thought you were describing the Redskins! It's been almost 20 years since we've been GOOD

Which NBA player in their prime went to a team for less money?? Aging starts might, but that's not what the Wiz would be looking for anyways.

What NBA player in their prime signed a free agent deal with the Wizards?

In all honesty, name a cold weather NBA city that has signed a top Free Agent in the last 15 years.

The list is just Gilbert, right? And he's insane.

Growing up and getting acquainted to the NBA back then I used to read the Sports page at school every day and read about the exploits of MJ, how he dominated teams. Will never forget MJ in a Wizards uniform, those were good times

Could your family not afford basic cable?

You sound like some kid in the 30s reading about the exploits of DiMaggio.

There are a lot of Wiz fans that are completely delusional about this. I listen to the junkies in the morning and hear them talk about building around draft picks in the NBA. Then, today they were talking about getting Joe Johnson and Carlos Boozer this offseason. This is ridiculous.

The Wiz are going to be stuck with Gil for four more years. It won't be till after that they can rebuild again with free agents. (You can't really build through the draft in the NBA). The only way they pull out of this ****pile in less than four years is if they win the lottery the next couple years.

There are a lot of Wiz fans that are completely delusional about this. I listen to the junkies in the morning and hear them talk about building around draft picks in the NBA. Then, today they were talking about getting Joe Johnson and Carlos Boozer this offseason. This is ridiculous.

The Wiz are going to be stuck with Gil for four more years. It won't be till after that they can rebuild again with free agents. (You can't really build through the draft in the NBA). The only way they pull out of this ****pile in less than four years is if they win the lottery the next couple years.

The NBA is the easiest league to understand in terms of building a contender and probably the most difficult in which to actually build a contender.

To win a title you need - at the very least - a top ten player and probably a top five player. As a compliment, you need a top 25 player. After that, you need depth and players who understand their roles. That's really it.

Good luck finding those guys.

Even in a NeverNever Offseason where Johnson and Boozer come here, that makes you, what, a sixth in the East maybe? Is there a player currently on the roster who you can see as part of an 8-man rotation for a playoff team?

Could your family not afford basic cable?

You sound like some kid in the 30s reading about the exploits of DiMaggio.

No we didn't have cable growing up

Listened to everything on radio back in the day and still do listen to most games other than NFL on radio

Yes I know I sound like an old dude lol

What NBA player in their prime signed a free agent deal with the Wizards?

In all honesty' date=' name a cold weather NBA city that has signed a top Free Agent in the last 15 years.

[/quote']

Boston signed Kevin Garnet.

The list is just Gilbert' date=' right? And he's insane.[/quote']

Gilbert wasn't in his prime when he came here. He was pre-prime. He was still a project. He wasn't a super star yet. When he came here the team wasn't his, it was still Kowamie Browns.

The only way they pull out of this ****pile in less than four years is if they win the lottery the next couple years.

The Lottery is really hit or miss. How many #1 picks overall have become cornerstones of perenial play-off teams in this league. Lebron, is about it in recent memory.

The most reliable formula for building a contender in this league is to do what Boston and LA have done. Try to grow your own super star by having a great infrastructure and organization (Kobie, Pierce).... Then recognize what role players you have, and pick up a super star in free agency. ( Kevin Garnet, Artest, Garso. Bynum ) etc..

Free agency is the most reliable way to do the job. That's about environment and about cap space.

Boston signed Kevin Garnet.

That was a trade. Sheed actually may qualify even though he sucks.

Gilbert wasn't in his prime when he came here. He was pre-prime. He was still a project. He wasn't a super star yet. When he came here the team wasn't his, it was still Kowamie Browns.

Maybe the question is, name the last free agent signing in a cold weather city that either was or became a superstar.

The NBA is the easiest league to understand in terms of building a contender and probably the most difficult in which to actually build a contender.

To win a title you need - at the very least - a top ten player and probably a top five player. As a compliment' date=' you need a top 25 player. After that, you need depth and players who understand their roles. That's really it.

Good luck finding those guys.

Even in a NeverNever Offseason where Johnson and Boozer come here, that makes you, what, a sixth in the East maybe? Is there a player currently on the roster who you can see as part of an 8-man rotation for a playoff team?[/quote']

Exactly. They are not about to compete any time soon. You basically have to get very lucky, win the lottery AND end up with a game changing player to turn a franchise into a perennial contender.

That ain't happening any time soon without extreme luck.

Exactly. They are not about to compete any time soon. You basically have to get very lucky, win the lottery AND end up with a game changing player to turn a franchise into a perennial contender.

That ain't happening any time soon without extreme luck.

You don't have win the lottery to draft a special player. Many teams are building around guys who weren't drafted #1 overall such as, Chris Paul, Chris Bosh, Dwayne Wade, and Kevin Durant.

You're right though. The Wizards aren't going to seriously compete any time soon because they won't be able to acquire any of the big free agents.

If I were the GM of this team, I would try to acquire Chris Bosh. He's the inside presence we've lacked for so long. Add some other free agents like Raymond Felton and Manu Ginobli. Also, we need to stop trading away top 5 picks.

( Kevin Garnet, Artest, Garso. Bynum ) etc..

Free agency is the most reliable way to do the job. That's about environment and about cap space.

Garnett was traded for Al Jefferson. Artest was acquired in a S&T for Trevor Ariza. Gasol was traded and Bynum was drafted by the lakers. None of these guys were FA.

FA in the NBA is good for getting role players but you HAVE to have a cornerstone that you drafted in the top 5 or got lucky in the later rounds. The only team in the last decade to win a championship through patchwork trades and signings was the Detroit Pistons. Everyone else had a superstar that was drafted and developed by the team.

You don't have win the lottery to draft a special player. Many teams are building around guys who weren't drafted #1 overall such as, Chris Paul, Chris Bosh, Dwayne Wade, and Kevin Durant.

You're right though. The Wizards aren't going to seriously compete any time soon because they won't be able to acquire any of the big free agents.

If I were the GM of this team, I would try to acquire Chris Bosh. He's the inside presence we've lacked for so long. Add some other free agents like Raymond Felton and Manu Ginobli. Also, we need to stop trading away top 5 picks.

All of those guys were top three picks.

You have to be at least in the top three AND get lucky enough that its a year where the top three can actually become an elite (top ten) player in the league.

Archived