Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who's a keeper?

Burgold

We're always talking about who we want to draft or trade for or acquire in free agency, but how often do we talk about who we want to keep.

I think we should divide our keepers into lists:

Must haves: These are your cornerstone guys. Guys that must be part of the team at least next year. Guys who can't be cut or traded.

No Brainers: These are those strong foundational players that it would take an awful lot for you to be okay with parting with.

I'd like to but... These are guys you hope to be on the team, but if the right deal comes along or if they're contract is a bit too pricey or the coach just feels like making a statement to get the players' attentions you'd be okay with it.

There should be no one on your list that you prefer off the team. These are all keepers.

Must haves: Orakpo (I'm not sure if there's anyone else)

No Brainers: Fletcher, Cooley, Davis, Thomas, Rocky, Haynesworth

I'd like to, but...: Moss, Carter, Hall, Rogers, Horton, Doughty, Kelly, Hunter, Campbell, Jarmon

There might be a few more, but that's who jumps out. They guys left off aren't people I think ought to be booted immediately, I just think they aren't keepers anymore.

Funny how skins fans have forgotten about Chris Cooley, arguably the greatest TE to ever wear the burgundy and gold. Trade Davis if we have to trade a TE, keep Cooley the man!!

Chris Cooley isn't probably in the top 5 of TEs in the league. He's a good player but I gotta believe there have been better TEs in the history of the Skins.

There isn't one must have player on this team, even Orakpo (though I think he could be).

I'd put Cooley in the Clint Didier rank of TEs. Mind you, he's been more productive than Clint, but Clint was competing for balls against much better receivers.

That said, Clint was an absolute favorite of mine and he and Warren made a fantastic combo. Both of those guys were undeniably keepers. Sometimes, I think we are missing Don Warren more than anyone else. An absolutely brilliant blocker who never got his due.

I agree Davis is perfect trade bait.

I wouldn't say that Davis is perfect trade bait. I doubt the Skins could get the 2nd round pick they spent on him back now. He had half of a good season on a bad team that was forced to throw the ball because they were behind and had no running game.

With that said, I want to keep both Davis and Cooley and see what Shanahan can do with that double TE set, that's a mismatch in the Skins favor against any defense. Providing the o-line can give whoever the QB is enough time to pass the ball.

Must haves: Anyone who Shanahan considers a fit.

Everyone else is expendable. :silly:

I've got no reason to not trust our leadership right now, so that's how I'm looking at it! :)

haha yeah. this time last year the fans probably had a better idea of how to run the team than the guys in charge. this year, it's definitely the reverse.

Chris Cooley isn't probably in the top 5 of TEs in the league. He's a good player but I gotta believe there have been better TEs in the history of the Skins.

There isn't one must have player on this team, even Orakpo (though I think he could be).

Cooley is a top 5 TE. He has improved his blocking and is already a hell of a pass catcher. Hes got some great after-the-catch moves for a TE. Who is better then Cooley?

I can only think of Antonio Gates, Jason Witten, Tony Gonzalez, and Dallas Clark. That makes Cooley the #5 TE in the league. Vernon Davis has to prove hes not a one year wonder, he was considered a big bust up until last year.

Witten, Gates, Gonzalez, and maybe Clark.

There is no one else in the league who can compare to Cooley. And personally, I'd take Cooley over Clark and Gonzalez.

];7282279']Witten' date=' Gates, Gonzalez, and maybe Clark.

There is no one else in the league who can compare to Cooley. And personally, I'd take Cooley over Clark and Gonzalez.[/quote']

Winslow and Davis?? They've never had a decent QB.... All the rest have had that luxury (with the stretch being Green-Gonzalez)

Must Haves: Orakpo, Haynesworth (two most dominant athletes on the team)

No Brainers: Punter Smith, Thomas, Either Davis or Cooley, Fletcher, McIntosh, Albright

I'd like to, but... :

Landry (Pos: he's just so athletic... I gotta hope there's something he can do well.)

Carter (Neg: Age)

Davis or Cooley (Cooley b/c of age:value ratio)

Moss (Pos: Speed, Sentimental affection stemming for MNF comeback)

Hall (Pos: Turnovers Neg: everything else)

Horton (Pos: Dreadlocks, Low-Round bloomer Neg: Depth Concerns)

Also: Campbell, Doughty, Rock, Jarmon, Alexander and Golston

...and Smoot as a 5th Stringer so we can still go "SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT" once or twice a game.

I wouldn't be the least concerned to hear we aren't keep any player that isn't on this list....

Cooley is a top 5 TE. He has improved his blocking and is already a hell of a pass catcher. Hes got some great after-the-catch moves for a TE. Who is better then Cooley?

I can only think of Antonio Gates, Jason Witten, Tony Gonzalez, and Dallas Clark. That makes Cooley the #5 TE in the league. Vernon Davis has to prove hes not a one year wonder, he was considered a big bust up until last year.

Heath Miller, Zach Miller, Kellen Winslow, and Greg Olsen (pre-Martz) are also in the discussion with Gates, Witten, Gonzalez, Clark, and Davis.

The biggest detriment to Vernon's career was Mike Martz. He goes out of his way to not use TEs. Watch for Greg Olsen to take a steep decline this next season.

Don't get me wrong as I think that Cooley is one hell of a pass catching TE and we are lucky to have him, but we are wasting his talents and the prime of his career if we can't turn this around in the next year or two.

Disagree. You don't even consider trading away a rookie Pro Bowler who did what he by virtue of the fact that you have to assume he'll get better.

Don't penalize a player who was one of the few bright spots just because the rest of the team sucked.

Disagree. You don't even consider trading away a rookie Pro Bowler who did what he by virtue of the fact that you have to assume he'll get better.

Don't penalize a player who was one of the few bright spots just because the rest of the team sucked.

Additionally, a rookie pro-bowler who was arguably playing out of position and at the least was learning on the go a brand new position.

That's a heck of a first step. Who knows what Brian will become (for good or ill), but that was a fantastic first impression.

I wouldn't say that Davis is perfect trade bait. I doubt the Skins could get the 2nd round pick they spent on him back now. He had half of a good season on a bad team that was forced to throw the ball because they were behind and had no running game.

With that said, I want to keep both Davis and Cooley and see what Shanahan can do with that double TE set, that's a mismatch in the Skins favor against any defense. Providing the o-line can give whoever the QB is enough time to pass the ball.

I know of no team except the Giants that uses a double TE set even occasionally. What exactly is the mismatch so often cited? The truth is that a second TE is either wasted or is a blocker.

I know of no team except the Giants that uses a double TE set even occasionally. What exactly is the mismatch so often cited? The truth is that a second TE is either wasted or is a blocker.

With Davis there doesn't have to be a traditional 2 TE formation, Shanahan will be able to move Davis into the slot or even outside with how athletic he is as an additional WR. Having both Cooley and Davis on the field at the same time will be an advantage for the Skins.

Heath Miller, Zach Miller, Kellen Winslow, and Greg Olsen (pre-Martz) are also in the discussion with Gates, Witten, Gonzalez, Clark, and Davis.

I've gottat agree. Heath and Zach Miller, K2, Gates, Gonzo, Witten, and Clark are all in the same league as Cooley with some of them being notably better blockers. Dustin Keller and Brandon Pettigrew are pretty promising up and comers as well.

Cooley is a great recieving TE, but he isn't the whole package, which very few TE's are at this point. I'd hate to see him go because he's hillarious and a good guy to have in the lockerroom but his production isn't irreplaceable.

Edit- Add Celek to that list as well as Visanthe Shiancoe. Two guys that put up good to great TE numbers while being a second or third option, as opposed to Cooley being the #1.

Archived