Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ask a car salesman thread?

skinsaddict

Not a salesman but I think "advertising fee" and "transport fee" are just expenses they think they can tack onto the purchase price. A Honda salesman tried to sell me floor mats for $250, said they didn't come with the car.

As to why they let you walk out? The cost of those two things were probably gonna give them the profit margin they wanted on the sale. I'd think about coming back at the end of the month when they're trying to reach their monthly sales quota.

i know these things:

1. January is the slowest month for car sales

2. in the three times I have been to this dealership, there has been one other customer in the showroom.

3. you are trying to sell me a car that has been on your lot since october

we are only about $1100 off what I am willing to pay, they will call. they are not the only dealership in town.

i know these things:

1. January is the slowest month for car sales

2. in the three times I have been to this dealership, there has been one other customer in the showroom.

3. you are trying to sell me a car that has been on your lot since october

we are only about $1100 off what I am willing to pay, they will call. they are not the only dealership in town.

As the Mayor said...what kind of car?

Right now by requesting 3 internet quotes from kbb.com or edmunds.com will get you the bare bones price on most cars. Of course it's difficult on some cars to get the exact option pricing through the internet unless you know exactly what you are looking for.

When you tell me you are not making a dime on this car and are actually in the hole..is that true?..:)

On nearly any dealer's lot there are certain cars that, for any number of reasons, a dealer will be willing to let go of under cost. Usually the main factor in this decision is the length of time the vehicle has been on the lot - For example, if a used car has been on my lot for 120 days then it is now worth quite a bit less than what I paid for it 120 days ago. Therefore, I may very well let it go under my cost and lose money on the deal, BUT I didn't really lose money on "the deal" because the reality is that money was lost over the course of the 120 days due to depreciation.

This "loser" scenario is far less prevalent on new cars, but can happen in the case of orphaned models or orphaned brands - Pontiac, Saturn, Hummer, etc.

In the case of the original poster, no dealer is going to take anything close to a losing deal on a loaded 10 Mazda CX-9. That would be lunacy.

How come you guys NEVER throw in a set of floor mats when I buy a car!!!!

I've never been a car salesman, but here's my understanding of this issue. Basically, they don't give a crap about floor mats. They'd gladly give up some floor mats if it makes you buy the car.

But to them, it's a bargaining chip. They couldn't give a crap about the floor mats, but they know you need/want them. So if they DO throw them in, they make you feel like you just got over on them, like you got away with something. So you buy the car. Meanwhile, they're chuckling to themselves, "Ha. Floor mats. What a dumb ***."

I've never been a car salesman, but here's my understanding of this issue. Basically, they don't give a crap about floor mats. They'd gladly give up some floor mats if it makes you buy the car.

But to them, it's a bargaining chip. They couldn't give a crap about the floor mats, but they know you need/want them. So if they DO throw them in, they make you feel like you just got over on them, like you got away with something. So you buy the car. Meanwhile, they're chuckling to themselves, "Ha. Floor mats. What a dumb ***."

New cars come with floormats from the factory. Used cars are a case by case basis. Key point to remember on used car floormats - the factory will cease production of additional stock within 18 months of the model run. For example, Chrysler still makes new PT cruisers, but has not offered gray interior since 2007...the gray factory floormat for the used 2007 you are looking at is obsolete and no longer available. Your best bet is to go to Wal-Mart or Pep Boys.

As far as the "what a dumbass" stuff...I've been in the biz, on and off for 20 years and have had my hands on literally 1000's of deals. I can't remember ever closing a deal based on a $75 dollar set of floormats, and if I did I certainly didn't call the customer a "dumb-ass" for wanting some mats.

As far as the "what a dumbass" stuff...I've been in the biz, on and off for 20 years and have had my hands on literally 1000's of deals. I can't remember ever closing a deal based on a $75 dollar set of floormats, and if I did I certainly didn't call the customer a "dumb-ass" for wanting some mats.

I based my comments mainly on a personal situation. I recall buying a brand new Ford Ranger back in '97. The dealer was prepared to charge me extra for the floor mats. When we were closing in on the deal, I asked, "will you throw in the floor mats?" The salesman sat there and sighed, thought for a few moments, sighed again, and then said, "ok, I'll throw in the floor mats."

My dumb *** actually felt like I was getting away with something. I was a 22-year-old kid at the time. I realize now that the salesman coudn't give two **** about those floor mats, but he made it seem at the time like he was giving me his first born by agreeing to throw in the floor mats.

So I walked away feeling good about myself, and I have little doubt he was thinking to himself what a dufus that kid was.

Anyway, I said in my previous comments that that was my understanding of the situation. I never said it was fact.

On nearly any dealer's lot there are certain cars that, for any number of reasons, a dealer will be willing to let go of under cost. Usually the main factor in this decision is the length of time the vehicle has been on the lot - For example, if a used car has been on my lot for 120 days then it is now worth quite a bit less than what I paid for it 120 days ago. Therefore, I may very well let it go under my cost and lose money on the deal, BUT I didn't really lose money on "the deal" because the reality is that money was lost over the course of the 120 days due to depreciation.

This "loser" scenario is far less prevalent on new cars, but can happen in the case of orphaned models or orphaned brands - Pontiac, Saturn, Hummer, etc.

In the case of the original poster, no dealer is going to take anything close to a losing deal on a loaded 10 Mazda CX-9. That would be lunacy.

PM sent. you'll be suprised what dealership i was at!

What is the dealer invoice price on the car and what price are you trying to get it for? Just to generate some meaningful conversation.

Stop holding out. :D

i really only wanted the advertising fees waived. I mean, you are going to put the name of your dealership on the back of my car AND charge me for your advertising?!?!?

only in the car business.

the invoice cost was good, way below sticker because I was doing it through work, like I said above, advertising? lunacy. call it an oil change charge or something.

most dealerships had the same invoice costs, but this fee was variable depending on the dealer.

Archived