Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coaching Staff has changed but minus Bruce Allen, Front Office has not. Ideas Why?

The Full Monty

Typically, you probably won't see any changes in the personnel department until after the draft for obvious reasons. For example, Louis Riddick wasn't let go until May 2008.

I don't think the situation is analogous on two counts: 1) The man at the top of the FO was the same in 2008, Vinny, whereas we have a new GM and a coach who has final roster authority, unlike Zorn, heading into the draft.

2) Riddick was pro scouting director so letting him go before or after the draft was probably irrelevant timing-wise, whereas Scott Campbell was given additional authority prior to the draft, getting the Player Personnel Director title in addition to overseeing scouting.

Ultimately with the Redskins now, you have a new guy at the top in Bruce Allen partnered with a powerful coach, and they are headed into their first draft with guys that they probably have only known for a month or so. At this point I'm inclined to think the truth lies somewhere between having full confidence in the current front office chiefs as well as feeling them out and continual evaluation right on through the draft.

Scouting has never been our problem. These are the same people who found Chris Cooley when fans were saying "who?".

Frankly I'm excited about the combination of Allen and Shanahan working with our scouts. I think they can each make the other better and in turn, build a team that can win a championship.

I honestly think the scouting department is not something you clean house on. These guys have been evaluating players since the College Season had begun, and you cannot just bring in people off the street to replace them, and then expect to have a productive draft and off-season.

I think you keep people who are there currently, but bring in 1 or 2 people who you will put in charge of the department when they are ready for the change. That way those people can evaluate the current staff. Then after the draft, you make the transition. That's just my opinion, as to what I would do if I were in Bruce Allen's position.

This seems like the, "duh!", common sense answer to me.

Also, I imagine scouts are given direction as to what they should look for in players, priority wise. As others have already stated, they seem to be doing a good job.

Maybe, simply given better, more detailed direction, the group we have now will be fine, and we'll just add a few more.

Again, AFTER the draft.

I don't think the situation is analogous on two counts: 1) The man at the top of the FO was the same in 2008, Vinny, whereas we have a new GM and a coach who has final roster authority, unlike Zorn, heading into the draft.

Um, there was a new person above Riddick, and that was Scott Campbell, who was promoted to Vinny's old job.

2) Riddick was pro scouting director so letting him go before or after the draft was probably irrelevant timing-wise, whereas Scott Campbell was given additional authority prior to the draft, getting the Player Personnel Director title in addition to overseeing scouting.

Until after the draft, scouting pro players is still important, since it is still in the middle of FA. Right after the draft is a very slow time FA wise, since you know more-or-less who you are bringing into camp.

Ultimately with the Redskins now, you have a new guy at the top in Bruce Allen partnered with a powerful coach, and they are headed into their first draft with guys that they probably have only known for a month or so. At this point I'm inclined to think the truth lies somewhere between having full confidence in the current front office chiefs as well as feeling them out and continual evaluation right on through the draft.

You don't turn over your personnel staff during what is the busiest time of the year for them. Scouting of both pro and college players have been going on and will continue to go on through April. During that time, you don't really want change until all of that is done.

I never understood why Snyder just never hired more scouts. The more eyes the better chance you'll find that hidden gem. There is no cap or limit on the size of your scouting dept. And with Dannys deep pockets why not throw some money at it.

So what if you ad more people who are not good judges of talent?

I'll answer that for you. You get a bunch of bad opinions clouding your judgement.

Pass.

I'll answer that for you. You get a bunch of bad opinions clouding your judgement.

Pass.

My counter to it is this

Snyder should build the "US military" of scouting departments.

Outspending every other NFL team combined

Why?

Well, that means far fewer qualified scouts for other teams to hire.

Advantage, Redskins

I have a problem with your use of Shanallen. I thought we were using Shallen? Anyway, the point PJ was making is even if we were to make a move, no wholesale changes would be made until after the draft. He was not necessarily saying any changes would be made. He was just agreeing with my point earlier that stated it would not make sense to drop current scouts since they have been gathering information and scouting since the beginning of the College Season, so to get anything from this draft, we keep most if not all of the staff and then after the draft can make some changes if he so cared to, which I thought is what the OP was asking: Why was the Scouting Department intact?

Shanallen is the official usage as it uses four letters from each name and has a shared letter in the middle. You clearly don't read your official Redskins e-mails, dumbass. ;)

As for the rest of your post, if that's what he meant, then I am all for it and apologize for the misunderstanding.

Pass.

Who said anything about hiring people who are not good judges of talent? I just stated maybe he could hire more scouts. Reading is fundamental my friend.

I find it very interesting that with Bruce Allen replacing Vinny Cerrato as head of the front office, he by all accounts thus far has chosen not to change our College Scouting Director Scott Campbell or Pro Personnel Director Morocco Brown.

It's reasonable to assume that coming into Washington, and planning on working with Coach Shanahan closely on all personnel issues, that Allen would bring in some of his favorite college or pro scouts from his time in Oakland and Tampa. Or even since Coach Shanahan has final authority on roster decision now, that our new coach would persuade Allen to bring in some of his most trusted scouts from Denver to come in and take over for Campbell or Brown, if not both. But no.

The inaugural draft of the Shanahan/Allen regime is fast approaching and we've not heard one peep about upcoming changes in our college and pro scouting operation. No preliminary discussions with any other front office types has surfaced in the media. Certainly, they may just be keeping things quiet and maybe next week or after the Super Bowl we'll hear something, but honestly, I would have expected a change much sooner if we are to have one at all.

The most obvious explanation could be that the new regime has interviewed and evaluated our personnel department and thinks Campbell and Brown's respective teams can get the job done.

This would constitute a huge vote of confidence and is shocking, in my opinion, however it may very well be the case. Although I've gone on record as saying Campbell is probably a good college talent evaluator, I am very surprised that Shanahan and Allen have not brought in people they have previous working relationships with, given that Shanahan has largely opted for this approach in assembling his coaching staff, particularly on offense. This first draft and first offseason for the new regime is absolutely critical. For Shanahan and Allen to rely on the draft and free agent evaluations of two men with whom they have no prior working relationship speaks volumes about how much respect they command, and by extension how little they are associated with the failings of Vinny Cerrato.

Another scenario explaining the lack of additional changes in the front office may be that given the time of year, Shanahan and Allen initially may have considered plugging in old lieutenants from their previous stops, but thought it best not to disrupt the scouting operations, especially Campbell's, and will rely on their reports in the upcoming draft before making some changes later.

Yet a third possibility is that Campbell and Brown have been retained pending an evaluation year together.

I've racked my brains for ideas and am welcome to any other opinions.

Many in league circles expect Shanahan to quickly add long-time friend Jim Goodman to the Redskins' front office. Goodman was with Shanahan in Denver for 11 seasons, serving as the Broncos' vice president of football operations before he was fired in 2008, shortly after Josh McDaniels was hired to replace Shanahan as coach. His son, Jeff Goodman, formerly Denver's assistant general manager, could also find himself in Ashburn soon.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/06/AR2010010604606.html

Many in league circles expect Shanahan to quickly add long-time friend Jim Goodman to the Redskins' front office. Goodman was with Shanahan in Denver for 11 seasons, serving as the Broncos' vice president of football operations before he was fired in 2008, shortly after Josh McDaniels was hired to replace Shanahan as coach. His son, Jeff Goodman, formerly Denver's assistant general manager, could also find himself in Ashburn soon.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/06/AR2010010604606.html

Good catch, but "quickly add long-time friend Jim Goodman" has stretched out a bit, I'll go along with the notion that if change is coming it will likely be after the draft.

Happy with Campbell and brown - they were never the issue. Hire more scouts

And maybe think about bringing in not only Goodman (for the draft), but George Kokinis (for the pros) as well - Kokinis was extremely well-regarded under Newsome in Baltimore before Mangini railroaded him out of Cleveland

Archived