Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

They've Ruined 102.1 The Game (in Hampton Roads)

CrazyZeb

:rant:

Anyone agree?

This station was awesome when it debuted, Redskins radio for most of the day.

Then some Einstein decided to replace Czabe's morning show with Mancow. What is Mancow doing on a sports station? Now they have to advertise themselves as "Mancow in the morning, sports all day." So, that's ruined my drive to work. (I know Czabe's show has since been canceled nationally)

I used to love to listen to Redskins lunch at noon, and although I know that went off the air when Bram left, there's a reasonable replacement right now with Sheehan/Loverro's Sports Fix. What do we get? Jim Rome, the worst host ever. In the 15 minutes it takes me to drive and get lunch, 12 of them are dead air with that talentless loser. Sometimes I watch this to cheer me up after listening to that crap. Lunchtime ruined.

Now, afternoon drive with The Sports Reporters (Polin/Czabe) has been replaced with some lame local "757 Club" show.... ugh, pathetic. Drive home now sucks.

Basically, the so-called Redskins station is devoid of Redskins. Look at their site, looks like they still advertise as a Skins station as they strip away all Skins programming.

It's also very poorly run. There are numerous occasions where you have to listen to a minute of 10-second music clips (random bumper music) because they apparently can't get any advertising and can't find anything better to fill the time. Once I heard the same commercial 7 times over 3 commercial breaks, including 3 times straight... and it was a particularly annoying one.

A little while ago I heard a promo for Czabe's morning show which had been off their air for months, and canceled nationally for weeks. Who's running this crap? Pathetic.

Am I alone in this?

:rant:

I don't listen to 102.1 anymore specifically because of Mancow. He is an idiot and my drive to school was forever changed.

I switched to the Dan Patrick morning show, I enjoy that one, and it always has me laughing.

Mancow is such a douche.

He has a list of "radio commandments" that are worth a good laugh. The guy looks down on everyone from his ivory tower and proclaims that he is what radio should be. He's a friggin hack. The dude made his living in Chicago 20 years ago doing the same type of radio Howard Stern did. He's a hypocritical moron and I wish someone would flick him in the nose. Hard.

That's a shame. When I was in Hampton Roads, I used to love that station because of all the Redskins coverage. But I guess it's not entirely their fault if some of the shows have gone away.

ETA: Do they still have Castleberry doing a show? The man knows a lot, but is clearly not a radio host.

Jim Rome, the worst host ever.

This.

I'm a bit of a radio fanboy, have been for most of my life (remember doing a book report on Stern's Private Parts in 8th grade) and thus have listened to a lot of stuff over the years. I despise Jim Rome. I agree 100% that he's the worst host ever.

It's funny, I don't mind him on TV too much. But on the radio? Oh.My.God. It was no doubt an overreaction (it is just radio) but when 106.7 here in D.C. (before the switch) put him on in the 7-10 spot (on like a 10 hour tape delay no less) there were seriously times when I wished ill will on both him and his pathetic, waste of space cancerous "Clones." Dude is that bad.

The only thing I listen to on 102.1 is the Dan Patrick show. For mornings it's Tommy and Rumble, then Dan Patrick, then music in the afternoon till I get home. Every now and then I listen to Rome, I haven't heard much that I specifically didn't like, but he does come off as incredibly pompous and high and mighty.

Dan Patrick is a good show though, IMHO

The only thing I listen to on 102.1 is the Dan Patrick show. For mornings it's Tommy and Rumble, then Dan Patrick, then music in the afternoon till I get home. Every now and then I listen to Rome, I haven't heard much that I specifically didn't like, but he does come off as incredibly pompous and high and mighty.

Dan Patrick is a good show though, IMHO

Caught some Dan Patrick today, he's usually pretty good. I think it may be on taped delay, though. Rome was on when I got back in the car to go home, so I listened as long as I could take it just for ****s and giggles. It wasn't long... Too bad Jim Everett didn't end his career back in the day. :redpunch:

• 4 weeks later...

Bump to hate on that smarmy prick, Jim Rome. He was out last week and had the Sklar brothers filling in for him. You may remember them from the "Cheap Seats" on ESPN Classic. I only found them mildly amusing on TV, but MY GOD they were funny on the radio. The segment I caught seemed to focus almost entirely on their encyclopedic knowledge of every professional wrestler in the last thirty years. They were even making up hilarious stuff like, "There's one thing most people don't know about the Iron Sheik: The Iron Sheik does not drive stick. He just doesn't like it." Maybe Rome will develop cancer of the dick and they'll take over for him permanently.

Answer: SiriusXM.

It is really that easy.

I won't go back to regular radio unless I have no choice. Right now I have it and have since the start.

Get off of your dinosaur and experience what people really want to say and can. I believe in freedom of speech. This is one of the best avenues to take.

Mancow has a huge following, and when his show became available in the area, management decided to roll the dice and pick him up (considering they still had Czaban in the afternoons at the time). Obviously that decision paid off because Czaban's FoxSports contract wasn't renewed this year.

As far as Jim Rome goes, he has the second most popular sports radio show in the country (behind Mike&Mike). It's simple dollars and cents.... and the majority wins in radio programming.

Redskins Radio/Lunch wasn't taken off the air because Bram left, that decision was made before then. It was taken off the air because it wasn't good radio (especially in the off-season). Yes, Red Zebra stations exclusively carry Redskins coverage, but let's be honest... if you're out of the DC area, the Redskins brand has fallen the past few years, and the stations have to make money.

I'm sure the choice to bring in this new afternoon drive-time show has to do with pushing more local flavor. I understand The Sports Reporters is your choice because it's a great show, but *local* stations need to have at least SOME local talent on the air. Why do you think ESPN980 got so much beef last year when they had strictly national ESPN programming in the morning? Well, the listeners wanted more local... and they got it.

If you have beef, though... send management an e-mail. They actually do read it and want to know what the listeners want. If the response is in favor of bringing back The Sports Reporters, it'll happen. ESPN950 in Richmond got rid of the best local sports talk show last year, but the listener response was so overwhelming, management brought the show back within a couple months.

• 3 months later...

Archived