Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Norv Get Fired With Loss to Jets?

bulldog

The trouble with Norv is not that he's a bad coach. He's not a bad coach.

The trouble with Norv is that he isn't a GOOD coach.

He was hired to take a 14-2 team that couldn't win a playoff game to the next level. Three years later? 13-3 and one and done.

But it's not his fault. This guy was injured and that guy missed a kick and the other guy got old and the team he was playing was really really good and Norv just calls the plays he doesn't execute them and ...

... because Norv's just good enough to not suck people will buy those excuses. All the while no one notices you're actually spinning your wheels. For years.

No, if Norv was a lousy coach it would be easy. You just wouldn't hire him. But he's just good enough. And he's not getting fired, even though he's managed to almost exactly duplicate the result that got Marty fired three years earlier.

I thought this was pretty funny...

http://www.sportspickle.com/article:567/firenorvnet-acquired-by-google-in-1-billion-deal

January 18th 2010

FireNorv.net Acquired by Google in $1 Billion Deal

Google, Inc. has purchased the website FireNorv.net for $1 billion, a deal that gives the internet giant control of the most-trafficked and most-established "Fire Coach" website in the world.

"Since 1994 when the Internet was first coming into broad use in homes, FireNorv.net was already there thanks to Norv Turner's 3-13 season with the Washington Redskins," read Google's statement announcing the deal. "Through the dotcom bubble and beyond, the FireNorv.net's growth has continued thanks to Norv Turner's continued failure in Washington, Oakland and San Diego. We are excited to lead this growth into the new decade and beyond."

Most industry analysts say Google got a huge bargain in the deal considering Turner's now three-decade stranglehold on coaching ineptitude at the professional level. But FireNorv.net's owner says he was happy with the $1 billion figure.

"It's never been about the money," he said. "It's always been about making sure Norv Turner never gets to coach another team. I can't believe we've been around for 16 years. When we were just a start-up, most said we wouldn't last more than a year tops. Norv was that bad."

And he still is. Yet the coach keeps getting opportunities, which is why Google doesn't see risk in making the deal now, when Turner could get fired by the Chargers.

"If the Chargers let him go, he'll probably get hired by the Bills," said industry analyst Jeremy Rogers. "FireNorv.net's business model is built as much on Norv Turner being a moron as it is on NFL general managers being morons. It's very sound."

Google will immediately plug FireNorv.net into its keyword engine, bringing the site traffic when anyone searches for keywords such as "failure", "loss", "unmitigated f--king disaster", "Hindenburg", and "Is Norv really his name?".

Analysts expect Google to earn back its purchase price in the first year, especially if Turner makes another playoff performance.

How was that any different than if he kicked it deep? Either way, the first down by the Jets ended the game. That didn't change because he went for the onsides kick.

You have 1 timeout and the two minute warning to stop them 3 times. On a 4th and 1, you force them to punt it rather than give them a field position. A decision that isn't as difficult to make for Rex Ryan. Again, 4 attempts rather than 3. They never got the first down with 3 runs; they needed 4.

Statistically speaking, recovering an onside kick is very hard to do. On top of that you spot them a field position. Not to mention you just relieve them of most of the pressure.

Bad call

How was that any different than if he kicked it deep? Either way, the first down by the Jets ended the game. That didn't change because he went for the onsides kick.

If they kick it deep and hold them on first second and third down its unlikely that the Jets go for it on fourth down considering all they needed was a field goal to tie and how deep they would have been in their own territory. Essentialy making fourth down a punt.

You have 1 timeout and the two minute warning to stop them 3 times. On a 4th and 1, you force them to punt it rather than give them a field position. A decision that isn't as difficult to make for Rex Ryan. Again, 4 attempts rather than 3. They never got the first down with 3 runs; they needed 4.

Statistically speaking, recovering an onside kick is very hard to do. On top of that you spot them a field position. Not to mention you just relieve them of most of the pressure.

Bad call

Oh, I gotcha. You're talking about the onside kick making it possible for them to go for it on 4th down. You're right.

Of course, that would be a moot point if that defense didn't let them get close with a big 3rd down run. I think you have to asusme your D can stop a team that's just trying to run out the clock. And, if not, the onsides kick makes sense on a different level.

The onsides gives you a chance, however slim, to get the ball with enoguh time, and good field position. The failure of it doesn't really effect the amount of time you will have (assuming you don't get that complete failure of your defense), and will probably cost you 20-30 yards in field position.

I just wouldn't criticize the decision whether he went for it or not. Not a clear cut right decision either way. Norv had a bad day, but I don't think the onsides kick was one of his blunders.

What I really don't get is why Norv seems to be so hated around the country in a personal way, not just due to his record as a coach.

As for the argument that someone made about "how can Norv still have a job without making the Super Bowl in 12 seasons?" Here's a list of good coaches who it took at least 11 seasons to reach the Super Bowl or didn't go at all:

Martyball (21 seasons) - never went

Jim Mora (15 seasons) - never went

Don Coryell (14 seasons) - never went

Dennis Green (13 seasons) - never went

Ted Marchibroda (12 seasons) - never went

Dave Wannstedt (11 seasons) - never went

Bum Phillips (11 seasons) - never went

Jack Pardee (11 seasons) - never went

Dick Nolan (11 seasons) - never went

Tom Coughlin - 12th season

Tony Dungy - 11th season

Tom Landry - 11th season

So all of these above coaches suck?

So the whole "has does Norv still have a job after 12 seasons when he hasn't been to the Super Bowl yet" argument doesn't hold any water.

I'm not disputing the fact that Norv made mistakes in the game yesterday, but give Rex Ryan credit for being a defensive genius, like we saw from him with the Ravens. The guy can scheme the crap out of an opposing offense.

Next, the argument that Norv "got handed the keys to the Ferrari" may technically be true for the 2007 season, but the last two years the Chargers talent hasn't been anywhere close to a Ferrari. Their HOF RB is on his very last legs, their superstar LB missed 15 games last year and looked mediocre this year, and Antonio Gates has had injury problems his last few seasons. Now it would be easy to say that Norv should have gone to the Super Bowl in 2007, but the 17-0 Patriots were in their way. Not to mention that LT didn't even play and Rivers was on one leg.

If LT was still in his prime, Merriman was the stud that he was two years ago, Kaeding hadn't missed three FG's, and the Chargers had lost to an "okay" defensive team yesterday, then I'd say Norv needs to go and can't win a big game. What Norv is is extremely snake bitten.

Some people have a hatred of him to the point where they're blinded by the facts that matter. I've read articles on how he strategically prepares his team to play.

No one wins coaching for the corpse in a jumpsuit, which is why I didn't count Norv's Raider years. Chucky actually had the corpse's respect which is why he was able to pull off the success he had.

He's beaten Peyton Manning twice in the playoffs, that has to count for something since only the Hoodie has also been able to do that. He's 13-0 in December with the Chargers, the best December record of any coach in the league the last three seasons.

Norv is not a "great" coach by any means, all I'm saying is he doesn't deserve the blame and the hatred that he's gotten all these years, and he's better than half the coaches in the league right now.

Norv is not a "great" coach by any means, all I'm saying is he doesn't deserve the blame and the hatred that he's gotten all these years, and he's better than half the coaches in the league right now.

The Chargers have as much talent as any team in the NFL. I can't believe you're going to continue with that line of defense.

It's AJ Smith, btw. LJ is a TE for the Ravens.

:hysterical::hysterical:

I totally forgot. Oh well, that guy's such a douche. He's a fantastic GM, besides with coaches, and if he could ever get rid of his inner Vinny (that whole egotistical can't get along with a bigger fish thing) then they'd have been in the SB multiple times by now.

I agree with you though, Norv should never have had the job in the first place, how many so-so coaches are fired by the Skins, fired by the Raiders (where they do even worse), then get the keys to what has arguably been the most talented football team in the league, and then continue on his unstoppable journey of underacheivement as an HC.

They likely would have gotten the first down either way. However, they wouldn't have gone for it on 4th and 1 in their own territory. And I didn't understand why they didn't call a timeout right before the two minute warning either.

Well Jeff, you made this statement about Wade Phillips in another thread:

He's a perennial late season/playoff choker. If you're happy with good regular seasons and early playoff exits & choke jobs, it's amazing how Cowturd fans have lowered their standards the last dozen years.

I'm curious as to why you don't apply the same standard to Norv.

Well Jeff, you made this statement about Wade Phillips in another thread:

He's a perennial late season/playoff choker. If you're happy with good regular seasons and early playoff exits & choke jobs, it's amazing how Cowturd fans have lowered their standards the last dozen years.

I'm curious as to why you don't apply the same standard to Norv.

Norv's career playoff record: 4-4 (not great mind you, but 4 wins is pretty good)

Stay Puft's career playoff record: 1-5

Has Stay Puft beaten Peyton Manning in the playoffs twice? Has Stay Puft been to a conf. championship game? Has Stay Puft gone 13-0 in December the last three seasons?

Has Stay Puft beaten Peyton Manning in the playoffs twice?

One of those seasons Stay Puft had a better record than Norv but didn't have the luxury of cheesing into a division title with an 8-8 record and getting to play a 12-4 Colts team in San Diego and win the game based on the NFL's arcane OT rules.

And Stay Puft actually went to the playoffs in one of his two years in Denver. How long did it take Norv to do the same in DC? Norv didn't choke in the playoffs here because he'd usually choke late in the season so we wouldn't get there.

For the record, I think both coaches should keep their jobs, and by the looks of things, at least Wade is going to in Dallas for another year.

One of those seasons Stay Puft had a better record than Norv but didn't have the luxury of cheesing into a division title with an 8-8 record and getting to play a 12-4 Colts team in San Diego and win the game based on the NFL's arcane OT rules.

And Stay Puft actually went to the playoffs in one of his two years in Denver. How long did it take Norv to do the same in DC? Norv didn't choke in the playoffs here because he'd usually choke late in the season so we wouldn't get there.

For the record, I think both coaches should keep their jobs, and by the looks of things, at least Wade is going to in Dallas for another year.

Fair enough about the Chargers going 8-8 last year, Norv has to accept responsibility for that.

However, Stay Puft has always had more talent to work with than Norv has with the exception of Norv's 2007 Chargers.

And your point about Stay Puft making the playoffs in Denver? He had a HOF QB. Who did Norv have his first 5 seasons? John Friesz, Heath, Gus, & an inexperienced Trent Green. Yeah, fair comparison. When he gets a competent QB in Brad Johnson? 10-6, a division title, and a playoff win.

Look how long it took Stay Puft to win ONE playoff game with the talented rosters he's had.

So all of these above coaches suck?

No, but with the exception of Landry and maybe Dungy I wouldn't say any of them are great head coaches. Still ...

Martyball (21 seasons) - never went .613 winning percentage

Jim Mora (15 seasons) - never went .541 winning percentage

Don Coryell (14 seasons) - never went .572 winning percentage

Dennis Green (13 seasons) - never went .546 winning percentage

Ted Marchibroda (12 seasons) - never went

Dave Wannstedt (11 seasons) - never went

Bum Phillips (11 seasons) - never went .516 winning percentage

Jack Pardee (11 seasons) - never went .530 winning percentage

Dick Nolan (11 seasons) - never went

Tom Coughlin - 12th season .528 winning percentage before winning the SB

Tony Dungy - 11th season .611 winning percentage before winning the SB

Tom Landry - 11th season Took over an expansion team in the 60s. You're kidding me if you think that compares in any way to today

Norv Turner's win percentage: .479

Most of the guys in the 'don't suck' category are at least coaches that win wherever they go. Or they are at least credited with turning around terrible franchises within a season or two (Nolan, Wannstadt, Marchibroda) and then riding that accomplishment to long careers.

But yeah, I'd put Norv into the same category as some of those guys. Guys like Green and Mora and Wannstedt. Coaches that get their teams to play JUST well enough to keep them around, until 7, 8, 10 years later you suddenly realize you've been treading water the whole time.

Like I said before, it would be better if Turner just flat-out sucked, because he'd be gone in a year or two and that would save a whole lot of hair-pulling.

Haven't read the thread, just gonna offer my opinion.

No, Norv doesn't get fired.

One of the really big "things" about the Curse of Norv is it's duration. Like the Chinese Water Torture, it's not really agonizing. It just keeps going on and on and on and on and on.

He's going to be there for another 5 years or so.

Archived