Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your Redskins's Offseason Improvement Plan

darrelgreenie

What specific assignments for improvement would you give some Redskins players?

You're a Redskin's coach.

After a this long and difficult season you look at the team.

What would you direct your players to work on?

Here's mine:

LaRon Landry-

o I would ask him to slim down a little bit and focus on agility. I would ask him to spend time with Bob Slowick to learn and embrace film study film.

Fletcher+Haynseworth+Landry+Hall-

o I would also ask London Fletcher to help Landry in regards to film study and in overall leadership on the defensive side of the ball.

o I would ask them to buy in to the new defensive schemes and 'sell' it to their teammates.

o I would ask Big Al if he wanted to play NT (3-4)

o Prepare Anthony Montgomery on his pivotal role in the defense as NT

o Ask Hall to become a leader for the young DBs especially Tryon and Barnes

Offense:

Chris Cooley + Fred Davis-

Work on blocking for the multiple TE sets to work we got to be able to run the ball and to run the ball the TE have to be able to block.

Fred Davis- catch a ton of balls in the offseason, buy/rent a jugs machine if you get your hands on it you catch it

Jason Campbell-

o Ball security you can't put the ball on the ground

o Work on pocket awareness, footwork and playmaking (imo they're all linked) study Tom Brady: http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us

When I’m raising Matt, I’m showing him a lot of Tom’s film, how he handles things, how he plays the game, footwork-wise, poise-wise............

"I mean, he’s a model guy, the model player, handles himself with a great deal of class, and those are the guys that play a long time in this league and are successful. There’s nobody better for Matt to keep an eye on week-in and week-out and year-to-year......

"You’re always pulling from guys, with some of things that you do offensively," Kubiak said. "But the thing with Tom is his feet, he plays the game with some of the best feet I’ve ever seen, in the pocket, rhythm thrower, those type of things. And I think Matt’s built a lot like Tom from the standpoint of being more of a pocket player, doesn’t run around a great deal.

-grab an assistant coach or maybe even work with Kyle in a similiar program to this: http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us

The Southern California graduate worked out a few times with Patriots quarterback Tom Brady at UCLA. The location made sense because Brady has a home near the campus, and Norm Chow, the former offensive coordinator at USC, is now an assistant at UCLA.....Brady worked with Leinart on his footwork, release and other fundamentals

Clinton Portis-

o I think this has already been asked of him but come into camp in the best shape of your life, don't just give lip service into dropping some weight.

o Become a less of a negative media distraction even if it means taking some PR lessons to learn how to address the media and not get misquoted or misunderstood.

o Don't expext a certain amount of carries just be ready to run hard on the carries you do get, be reader to be the leader of a rotation and not the 'lead' back.

Devin Thomas+Malcolm Kelly

Route running, live it, learn it, love it

Devin hang out with Fred Davis by the jugs machine

Really go through the roster with a fine comb and be violently objective with the Roster. Don't coddle anyone or whimper about potential. If the player gave up on the team and showed no heart, than show them the door or begin plans for replacing them. If someone doesn't have the work ethic or discipline to succeed, cut them. Don't waste your time with them. Most motivation is internal. Decide whether this team is on the verge or if it is quite a distance from being championship quality. If it's a ways away don't be afraid to be brutal and blow up the team even if it will cause even more short term pain. If it seems like the problems were more about strategy and injury or about a few missing key players than address that.

Right now, I think more than half of the work belongs to the Front Office. Right now, we don't have a team that is competitive. At some point, fixing the old wreck is more expensive than buying a new car. I think we're very close to that point.

Landry definately needs some work on tackling and coverage. He is too aggressive and overruns things. Sean Taylor was a good example of controlled aggression and good cover skills. He wood bring the wood but he connected, not miss. He also layed back in pass coverage and played it like you are suppose to and not let receivers get past him. Landry needs to study his films. I also think Landry is dumb as a box of rocks...along with Rogers. Not sure how they made it through school. Neither one can catch a cold either.

Rocky-Played really good this year, but your gonna need to get a little bigger and stronger. Hit the weights hard because your gonna play ILB next to London in our 3-4.

Landry-Were gonna try to trade you and get as much value as possible for you. (Must be a 2nd rounder)ou are a very immature player and you're regressing instead of progressing. You have great physical tools but you have proven to be a huge liabilty in coverage. You are a SS and we feel Horton is just as good as you in that role. (Without the whiffs and missed tackles on course):silly:

Haynesworth-I want u in the best shape of your life. Seriously. You reportedly weigh 350. hmmmmm. Well we are gonna need you around 330. You are gonna play RE in our 3-4. You in Orakpo on the same side will be a huge mis-match for opposing defenses.

cut Ladell Betts,Wynn,Dainels,Are,for starters.

Trade Andre Carter for anything you can get.

Portis we are probably better off with him,than without him.Love him or hate him,when he is on the feild Defenses only respect him (even when he is outshape)With a 8 in da box formation against a MS coached offense can be deadly to your defense.With CP in the backfeild, the bootleg will kill defenses,and if you choose not to play a 8 man front CP, himself will kill you. I just hope for good sake MS dose'nt cut Marko.SMH..don't be supprise if good young players like Marko,Wilson,Jackson,are cut...No one on this staff will know how good they are based off film.This is my biggest fear

Really go through the roster with a fine comb and be violently objective with the Roster. Don't coddle anyone or whimper about potential. If the player gave up on the team and showed no heart, than show them the door or begin plans for replacing them. If someone doesn't have the work ethic or discipline to succeed, cut them. Don't waste your time with them. Most motivation is internal. Decide whether this team is on the verge or if it is quite a distance from being championship quality. If it's a ways away don't be afraid to be brutal and blow up the team even if it will cause even more short term pain. If it seems like the problems were more about strategy and injury or about a few missing key players than address that.

Right now, I think more than half of the work belongs to the Front Office. Right now, we don't have a team that is competitive. At some point, fixing the old wreck is more expensive than buying a new car. I think we're very close to that point.

cut Ladell Betts,Wynn,Dainels,Are,for starters.

Trade Andre Carter for anything you can get.

Portis we are probably better off with him,than without him.Love him or hate him,when he is on the feild Defenses only respect him (even when he is outshape)With a 8 in da box formation against a MS coached offense can be deadly to your defense.With CP in the backfeild, the bootleg will kill defenses,and if you choose not to play a 8 man front CP, himself will kill you. I just hope for good sake MS dose'nt cut Marko.SMH..don't be supprise if good young players like Marko,Wilson,Jackson,are cut...No one on this staff will know how good they are based off film.This is my biggest fear

Rocky-Played really good this year, but your gonna need to get a little bigger and stronger. Hit the weights hard because your gonna play ILB next to London in our 3-4.

Although there are some 3-4 inside backers around Rocky's listed size of 6'2 238 like Cleveland (and Marylands own) D'Q Jackson 6' 240.

Rocky would do well to bulk up to get ready for the rigors of playing inside in a 3-4 where he's gonna be less protected then as a Blache 4-3 WLB.

He probably should work on shedding blocks.

I would tell Carlos Rogers that he needed to experiment with radioactive spider bites to help him with his catching. Man needs some drastic help.

I think before we get into who to help, I'd have to evaluate who's even worth keeping. My hatchetman would have a busy winter and spring.

LaRon Landry - hang out with London Fletcher and learn how to tackle someone.

How 'bout high school? LL looks completely blind out there. He misses gaps, angles, wrap-ups, just about everything.

I remember my old rugby team tackled so bad one game that our coach made us practice the entire 2 hours on our knees. This technique was not only punishment, it taught us how to approach the tackle, engage the runner, and follow through with the wrap-up and take down.

I wonder what football coaches do to improve tackling at that level?

Improving the O-line is a must. Shanahan said he's going to watch every play of JC's career- if he thinks with a solid OL JC will succeed (even though most on ES don't) I'll trust Shanny's judgement. If not, i'd either A) sign a vet QB and draft a QB 1/2 round and O-line with the other or B) Tender JC --- drat a qb and have a competition in camp (JC may need to start the season so a rookie QB can practice/learn/develop)

Also, I think the disciplne factor will go a long way in improving this team. That was one of the main problems in the Zorn era, and i think afer his spat with Portis he decided it wasnt worth going through 2 weeks of scrutinty to discipline his players (just my theory). Had he taken, for example, Landry and benched him after he miss tackled on a "Big sportcenter esque hit attemp" --- it would have sent a message to team that execution and performance are demanded.

I'm not sure this forum is big enough to hold all the info...lol...

OK,

1} JC-- Stand out in the field, and there will be 5 players scattered across it; 1 of them will throw a rock at you, so you better check every one of them out or you'll get beaned in the head. Hopefully it will force him to check out the rest of the field, not just 5 yds to the right.

2}Smoot--duct tape across that big mouth of yours; if you played half as good as your mouth spews, you'd have 6 pics minimum. Watch other cb's and how they cover AND not get burned on moves.

63}Landry--not sure where to start here! Read safetys for dummies; you have physical skills, but the mental capacity of a 5 yr old. Flying through the air missing tackles and getting toasted on dbl moves ate your lunch, so IF theres a chance for you, it will only come from mentoring from a veteran who knows the game. P.S. stop bobbing your head before a t.e. bobbles it for ya!

4} All secondaries--practice 8 hours a day learning to catch a damn ball! I've watched countless times where a ball hits you in the numbers, only to bounce off and see you smiling. The coach should fine each dropped int. $10,000 if it was a catchable ball. If you try to put yourself away from making the int, you'll be cut. If you don't want to play, get off the field.

*Every player on the roster should be forced to watch every Redskin game from the 80's; learn about football, and how they played for the love of the game, not the paycheck. There are thousands, if not millions, of fans who watched the Skins through the 80's, like myself, and watched how players left it on the field, and played the game the way it was supposed to be played; with passion, integrity, and knew if they listened to their coaches, and paid attention to their responsibilities, the team would be fine...

Also, I think the disciplne factor will go a long way in improving this team. That was one of the main problems in the Zorn era, and i think afer his spat with Portis he decided it wasnt worth going through 2 weeks of scrutinty to discipline his players (just my theory).

*Every player on the roster should be forced to watch every Redskin game from the 80's; learn about football, and how they played for the love of the game, not the paycheck. There are thousands, if not millions, of fans who watched the Skins through the 80's, like myself, and watched how players left it on the field, and played the game the way it was supposed to be played; with passion, integrity, and knew if they listened to their coaches, and paid attention to their responsibilities, the team would be fine...

I was hoping this thread would be about positive offseason improvement specific to player development and not become an excuse to rip the players without any attempt to answer the OP.

Have you heard or read about a specific offseason program that other professional players have used to help them improve?

Sorry-- I was pretty general in my first post

JC--

Quicker release – needs to be able to step up in the pocket and use his vision to see the entire field. I know stepping up in the pocket with our current oline is like walking into a mine field, but at times he had ample time and held the ball too long after locking on to a covered receiver. Id like to se some drills where we rush Rack at him Also, 2-minute drill practice, even in a game where he plays very well (IE Saints)--- the 2-minute drill has never worked well. Id like to see him get one more shot with a solid O-line under Shanny despite the majority of fans being against that.

O-line --- drills galore have to be able to sustain a block for our 2010 QB to allow him time to read the field and get a pass off without a defender hitting him or in his face.

DB’s---- First, I think we need to bump WR’s at the line (I know theres the risk of getting beat, but we got beat giving the 15 yard cushions every time so time for plan B) also, WRAP UP TACKLING--- You don’t need to be on Sportcenter with your “Lay’em out hit”. I think we could accomplish this in basic O on D drills (obviously wouldnt fully tackle espc without pads) Finally, id have them run some sort of WR drill or have JC Bomb some deep balls to them so they can practice catching an INT.

Im not trying to bash the guys, and sorry if i came across that way--- I was trying to call out problem areas that I felt cost us 12 loses

:logo:

What would I do?

I'd move Landry to SS and have him as a run stuffing safety. He's had enough experience in coverage to be more than adequate at that when we need him to be.

Assuming we can't trade out of #4, I'd draft Okung. Ideally, I'd trade down outside the top 10 and acquire another 2nd rounder. Than I'd draft Baluga with my earliest pick, and then I'd trade my 2nd rounders for either a late first or multiple 2nd/3rd rounders and dedicate those two OL, or spend at least one of them on BPA.

This is all assuming that we retain Rogers at a reasonable price and maintain our 4-3 base, otherwise we could be looking at drafting a DB early as well as a true NT.

];7233633']What would I do?

I'd move Landry to SS and have him as a run stuffing safety. He's had enough experience in coverage to be more than adequate at that when we need him to be.

From the OP:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since you want to move Landry to SS what would you want him to work during the offseason to help him be a better SS?

My plan is to get some better fat boys. We simply could not block last season, and we will not win until we can.

Draft smart, draft with a purpose and draft with rebuilding this team's offense from the foundation up in mind.
it is already starting with coaches...next will see which players fit within Shannys system... the ones who dont...say goodbye

From the OP:

What areas for individual player development/improvement would you direct certain players to work on?

E.g.

Rocky-Played really good this year, but your gonna need to get a little bigger and stronger. Hit the weights hard because your gonna play ILB next to London in our 3-4......................

Haynesworth-I want u in the best shape of your life. Seriously. You reportedly weigh 350. hmmmmm. Well we are gonna need you around 330. You are gonna play RE in our 3-4. You in Orakpo on the same side will be a huge mis-match for opposing defenses.

Archived