Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Time to cut the cord on Portis

themurf

There are some great points you guys make there, but I'm a little hesitant to call this a divorce. Portis gained the most yards of his career in Denver, he really likes Shanahan and I see just a thread of light that gives me hope Portis will stay. If he dedicates this offseason to become what he once was Shanny might very well keep him. Shanny love young RBs, but I think even more than that in Portise he has a VET back that excelled under the ZB scheme.

If Shanny likes what he sees in Portis during camp etc, I think Portis could stay around. Beliueve me Portis is drooling at the fact that he might be able to run in his old offense.

It's really interesting to me that people seem to be ignoring that

1) Shanahan (of old) got rid of Portis in the first place when he was a 2000+ yard back just entering the prime of his career

2) Shanahan (of current) in his press conference didn't exactly give Portis a ringing endorsement.

As someone who lives in Denver, i can tell you that there were attitude issues that Shanahan had with Portis that led to the trade in the first place. So, I'm just not convinced that Portis is drooling over Shanahan's return and I'm not convinced that Shanahan is drooling over a reunion with him either.

Personally I'd like to get rid of Portis, but with his contract that's probably an impossibility so better to play him as long as he's useful. I do know that Shanahan will not hesitate to play another back over Portis if the other back is better, so the days of Portis being the only one who gets a chance are over.

Cancer is a bit strong. When I think of that, I think of Terrell Owens actively trying to divide a locker room just so he can bask in the chaos.

Portis is self centered, but his intentions aren't really ever anything other than thinking of himself. In his mind he isn't saying things about Campbell, Sellers or the offensive line because he dislikes them or anything like that. He's just "calling it as he sees it" while only thinking of how these people affect him.

That plus is lazy attitude towards practice, staying in shape, etc., are more than enough reasons to let him go, but I wouldn't call him a cancer.

He isnt a TO type cancer but his attitude is cancerous in that he's not helping the team achieve anything.

Plus, I don't think the other players appreciate his comments and would view it as cancerous, but i could be wrong on that.

Regardless, at this point i view him as a cancer.

He isnt a TO type cancer but his attitude is cancerous in that he's not helping the team achieve anything.

Plus, I don't think the other players appreciate his comments and would view it as cancerous, but i could be wrong on that.

Regardless, at this point i view him as a cancer.

agree... portis has consistently put his mouth ahead of the team and as a result has a track record of creating distractions and a divisive atmosphere... the bottomline for me towards any player's behavior is, "did it help the team?" and so often the answer to portis' antics is a fat "no"... it usually does nothing but serve his ego and thirst for attention...

http://www.adavidmooreorgans.com/pcinoz/Cut_Trade_Savings.htm

Cutting Portis will cost the franchise $6M, we are talking about Brandon Lloyd here, he is still one of the premiere backs in the NFL. The guy leads the league in rushing through week 12 last season, then his line is laying side by side in the hospital and he gets a concussion. How does that make starting Marcus Mason viable?

There are more than enough holes to fill as it is, he is not 30, let us turn our focus toward something in need of addressing before we go burning $6M and banishing a guy that goes in the top two rounds of all fantasy football drafts.

I would like to draft a Kellan Williams, Charles Scott, Toby Gerhart (don't know all the spellings), not lights out Blount, etc. to add some spice to the run game but absolving the team of one of the funniest and most talented players is illogical.

Drafting Bradford, signing free agent lineman and drafting a couple, and installing the coaches we have should put us really close next year if not this coming.

From a "salary bonus" perhaps not.

From regular pay, yes. And something should have been worked out.

His handling represents the very worst of this franchise over the last ten seasons.

1. Fleeced on the trade. Portis has made the Pro Bowl once. This year, Champ was just voted in for his 9th or 10th time.

2. A crazy contract, that was made worse and worse as time went on.

3. The failed strategy of believing that an offense should ever be built around one single RB.

4. Dan's meddling, and playing favorites over performance.

Enough already. Cut him, and we can forget he ever happened.

+1...make the locker room a better place

The anti-Portis agenda is getting just a wee bit out of hand.

Was he the reason we were 4-12? No.

Has he been used to deflect criticism away from the players who actually stewarded us to 4-12? Yes.

Cut him, keep him, whatever. The amount of drama swelling around him is ridiculous. It's a borderline witch hunt.

Portis is the "same player" as Jones just as Art Monk was the "same player" as a lot of guys unworthy of the Hall. And Thomas Jones was a top 10 draft pick who got a reputation as a bust. He's been productive of late, but he's still viewed as a disappointment and thus his salary demands have been modest.

Clinton was a second rounder who vastly overproduced. He was paid accordingly. It's just how the system works. It's not our money; why should we care?

Thomas Jones, like Cedric Benson, was an afterthought because he played for Lovie Smith's horrific offensive game plan. Thomas Jones, like Cedric Benson, is thriving because he got the hell out of Chicago.

The Jets were also smart in signing Faneca and McKinnie (both former 1st rounders) to go with early 1st rounder D'Brickshaw (best 1st name in history) and last 1st rounder Mangold. If we sign Mankins and.or Bobbie Williams (big reason Benson has had success in CIN) and Samuels comes back I think our run game works out just fine. Nevertheless, Shanny Jr. was 4th in offense last year with a terrible running game, give him a stud QB and forget about, whatever running game Portis is able to muster will do just fine. Let us not forget Shanny Sr.'s blocking scheme will help as well.

Guess what, we had guys like Betts, Mason, and Ganther running better than Portis.

Those guys? LOL they didn't exactly run through the league. Now I agree, CP is one of my favorite players and I've been JC corner since day one but CP was dead wrong but I think his comments where misunderstood (or at least I hope they were). Should we cut CP and move on, yes if he's going to be a 7 million problem but for some reason I dont think he will so I say keep em, run him into the ground this year and then next year cut him. With the new coaching staff everyone will be on notice thats the me guys and the we guys so everyone will be just guys again.

http://www.adavidmooreorgans.com/pcinoz/Cut_Trade_Savings.htm

Cutting Portis will cost the franchise $6M, we are talking about Brandon Lloyd here, he is still one of the premiere backs in the NFL. The guy leads the league in rushing through week 12 last season, then his line is laying side by side in the hospital and he gets a concussion. How does that make starting Marcus Mason viable?

There are more than enough holes to fill as it is, he is not 30, let us turn our focus toward something in need of addressing before we go burning $6M and banishing a guy that goes in the top two rounds of all fantasy football drafts.

I would like to draft a Kellan Williams, Charles Scott, Toby Gerhart (don't know all the spellings), not lights out Blount, etc. to add some spice to the run game but absolving the team of one of the funniest and most talented players is illogical.

Drafting Bradford, signing free agent lineman and drafting a couple, and installing the coaches we have should put us really close next year if not this coming.

Not true 2009 has already passed, if we go uncapped it cost no cash money to cut him. If we have a cap this year it is a savings or a wash to cut him this year (depending on if they go June 1st or not on the cut).

Prior to his injury, Portis did not hit the hole (or what should have been a hole) hard. Ganther, Betts and Cartwright were much more agressive hitting the hole THIS year.

Let him go. There are other backs out there, like Willie Parker.

Too me outside of his pass blocking he is completly replaceable. Is pass blocking worth 12 million a year cap charge in the future for a RB (That is Peyton Manning money) if the cap comes back in 2011?

Sorry, but eljeasel is wrong about another team able to eat a cap hit from a salary bonus. That can't happen. We've been over that in the past. Cap hits are cap hits. They have to be taken somewhere if the player is not on your roster.

It actually is theoretically possible. It came up during the Coles trade discussions. We give big signing bonuses, but we usually defer payment. That means that a player (like it was discussed with Coles) could simply sign an agreement that that bonus is deferred until after the new team acquires him. Of course, the player and the acquiring team have to agree to this, but again, it is at least possible to be done.

More importantly, to the central point, Portis could have been dealt at a couple of points in his time here without crippling the team under the cap. But it would have had to be done before one of the re-structures we gave him. There were points where, a year or so after said re-structure, it was pretty unworkable to do a deal, but others where he could have been dealt with a reasonable cap hit.

Either the cap will be back in 2011 or there will be no football. In 2011, Portis will either count nearly 11 mil under the cap, or cost around 5.5 mil to release.

You have to believe Portis is about to become the best back in the NFL for the next few years to think he merits that kind of hit to stay in '11. I mean, the Franchise Tag figure for RBs last year was around 6.6 mil. So, Portis would count around 170% of that amount. That is beyond superstar money.

Or, he gets released and takes up around 4% of the total cap for a team he isn't even a part of. Unless you think the team is contending for a title in 2010, there is no way you give away that big a future hit (at a point where the team might start thinking about becoming a contender) just to keep him for one more year.

Keeping him for one more year means choosing one of those paths for 2011. The uncapped year gives the team a free pass to get out of that choice, and to wipe his cap figure completely away. That's a no-brainer for a decent FO.

Archived