Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Many Teams in the Paloffs now drafted OL round 1?

hitmandm

But your thinking is to just quit taking QB's then in the 1st round??? Wow. It's good that Atlanta and Baltimore didn't feel that way huh??? :rolleyes:

We have a coach who can talent evaluate at the QB position now. If he says we should pass on the QB's, then so be it. But to just dismiss the idea totally because QB's have busted out in the first round is elementary thinking to say the least.

Clausen, Bradford, Mccoy..Shanahan will see who (if any) would be good selections at the fourth overall pick.

Where did I say that? If we had a chance at a QB that graded as high as a Matt Ryan I would be all over it. The point was that none of the QBs in this draft are good enough to be taken at #4.

Gurode (center) of the Cowboys was taken at the bottom of the first round. This list isn't very accurate.

He was taken with the 5th pick of the SECOND round. This is an easy lookup. If you dont take time to even look stuff like this up, your credibility is rather weak on anything you say.

Where did I say that? If we had a chance at a QB that graded as high as a Matt Ryan I would be all over it. The point was that none of the QBs in this draft are good enough to be taken at #4.

Maybe youre right. But if Clausen and Bradford both have good combines, both will be gone before we pick at 4. Rams at 1 and all the other teams like Seattle and SF willing to trade up to pick 3 to get one.

Maybe youre right. But if Clausen and Bradford both have good combines, both will be gone before we pick at 4. Rams at 1 and all the other teams like Seattle and SF willing to trade up to pick 3 to get one.

They would have to have damn good combines for that too happen. Maybe we'll get lucky and 1 of those teams would trade up with us to get 1 of them, but again I doubt it.

I'm not at all against drafting a QB. I'm just against drafting 1 of those guys with the fourth pick. There are no slam dunk QBs in this draft. OTOH, there are several QBs that could be very interesting prospects in the second round or later in the first if we pull a trade.

He was taken with the 5th pick of the SECOND round. This is an easy lookup. If you dont take time to even look stuff like this up, your credibility is rather weak on anything you say.

Here's some crediability for you son:

No Super Bowl winning coach has ever won a SB with another team. Yes Shanahan will bring back "crediability" to the skins, but no rings. And rings are all we care about. I'm not settling just to make the playoffs.

But I'd rather the skins address the QB position first, then use their 2nd & 3rd picks on the OL.

They would have to have damn good combines for that too happen. Maybe we'll get lucky and 1 of those teams would trade up with us to get 1 of them, but again I doubt it.

I'm not at all against drafting a QB. I'm just against drafting 1 of those guys with the fourth pick. There are no slam dunk QBs in this draft. OTOH, there are several QBs that could be very interesting prospects in the second round or later in the first if we pull a trade.

I hear ya. Im not saying youre wrong or Im right or anything. To be honest, no one knows at this point. But Bradford would have been an easy #1 overall if he didnt hurt his shoulder. Teams are waiting to see if he is healed and then you will be surprised how fast he shoots up. Sanchez was a mid first rounder even after the combine. Clausen played a prostyle offense, Weis will swear by him and he was a top prep recruit like Sanchez. Teams need QBs bad.

I can easily see these guys going before we draft at 4.

The # 1 need for this team is QB. So logically speaking, the FO will assess the QB position first and if a guy is worth the forth overall pick, Shanny will take him. The O-line can be fixed with the 2nd and fourth round picks. And if they trade Landry and get an additional 2nd round pick, and then trade down in the 2nd to pick up an additional 3rd round pick, we could fix the O-line, get another safety and have our QB of the future all in one draft. Not bad for a first season.

And they could sign Mcgahee in the off-season.

Here's some crediability for you son:

No Super Bowl winning coach has ever won a SB with another team. Yes Shanahan will bring back "crediability" to the skins, but no rings. And rings are all we care about. I'm not settling just to make the playoffs.

But I'd rather the skins address the QB position first, then use their 2nd & 3rd picks on the OL.

Perhaps...I wasn't talking about Shanahan.

I agree with your last point.

But dont go around saying people's posts are not accurate and trying to undermine what they say-esp when theyre right- and youre too lazy to look up and see that who you said went in the second round. You got called out for it an rightfully so.

Im not your son. My father can spell credibility.

Perhaps...I wasn't talking about Shanahan.

I agree with your last point.

But dont go around saying people's posts are not accurate and trying to undermine what they say-esp when theyre right- and youre too lazy to look up and see that who you said went in the second round. You got called out for it an rightfully so.

Im not your son. My father can spell credibility.

Don't mind getting called out at all. That's fine. And I can spell credibility too when I'm not typing so fast.

Also, the Panthers address the O-line two years ago in the draft and totally remade the O-line and made the playoffs. So with proper scouting, rebuilding the O-line with first round picks is a good thing. If you know how to scout.

And I sat with your dad at RFK stadium when Deacon Jones kicked the point after on a TD. Son.

Its not about drafting a player in the first round. That doesnt really matter where you get a player. What does matter is that you succeed frequently on those players you do pull in.

So while a team like the Chargers didnt draft OL in the first its incredibly misleading. Its not like they dont have 1) depth on the OL, 2)sought out linemen, 3) prioritized linemen.

Theyve got 2nds, 3rds, 4ths, 6ths, 7ths, journeymen, and UDFAs across that line. Difference is that their guys can play. Their UDFA for example is Kris Dielman, 3 consecutive probowls and 1 all pro (2nd team). Our UDFA is Heyer (who around these parts is not considered an real NFL starter).

They got guys like Dennis Norman who used to start elsewhere ready to come in and contribute. We bring in a guy like Jeremy Bridges and cut them in camp. He goes onto end up starting, and playing alright in AZ. (not a huge rant over how good bridges was, but he was a worse football player than Edwin Williams?)

My point is that I dont think it matters where you get your players, you just have to bring in quality. That takes patience, ability, and luck. Those 3 things have been in short supply round here.

And they are right, none of these teams ever have or will make the paloffs.

Its not about drafting a player in the first round. That doesnt really matter where you get a player. What does matter is that you succeed frequently on those players you do pull in.

So while a team like the Chargers didnt draft OL in the first its incredibly misleading. Its not like they dont have 1) depth on the OL, 2)sought out linemen, 3) prioritized linemen.

Theyve got 2nds, 3rds, 4ths, 6ths, 7ths, journeymen, and UDFAs across that line. Difference is that their guys can play. Their UDFA for example is Kris Dielman, 3 consecutive probowls and 1 all pro (2nd team). Our UDFA is Heyer (who around these parts is not considered an real NFL starter).

They got guys like Dennis Norman who used to start elsewhere ready to come in and contribute. We bring in a guy like Jeremy Bridges and cut them in camp. He goes onto end up starting, and playing alright in AZ. (not a huge rant over how good bridges was, but he was a worse football player than Edwin Williams?)

My point is that I dont think it matters where you get your players, you just have to bring in quality. That takes patience, ability, and luck. Those 3 things have been in short supply round here.

And they are right, none of these teams ever have or will make the paloffs.

Good post, and most premier LT's are drafted and many are drafted high. They are also the easiest to scout.

Plenty of QB's in other rounds. If the big guy is there, take him.

Here is an old article about the importance of LT's.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3385095

Good post, and most premier LT's are drafted and many are drafted high. They are also the easiest to scout.

Plenty of QB's in other rounds. If the big guy is there, take him.

Here is an old article about the importance of LT's.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3385095

Thanks, but I think if you think any position is "the guy" then you pick him regardless. If you think Bradford is the guy, you take him, if you think a lineman is better, you take him. Dont think I mean that the line isnt important, because I think its pretty vital.

I just think you have to go strict value because our team doesnt have much to work with.

If Locker declares, then I'd be for picking QB at #4, and although I really like Bradford, I just feel he's a stretch at #4. I don't think anyone at any time has ever said you need an OLine made up entirely of first round picks (that would be awesome) but no one ever asked for or realistically expected it.

But If you're going BPA, Bradford is not BPA at #4.

And on your data, one of your teams hasn't selected a QB in the first round 1971. Another since 1989. Another since 1993. The Skins have picked 3 first round QB's in the last 15 years (including one at the 3rd pick in the draft). So it just goes to show, you don't have to have a first round QB in your arsenal to go to the playoffs. You can get them through FA. And obviously having a first round, top 5 QB, doesn't mean you're necessarily going to the playoffs either.

Aren't statistics wonderful?

Everyone agrees any first round pick can be a bust. OL or QB - doesn't matter. The difference is, when an OL is a bust, he contributes little or nothing and then they let him go. With QB, if you draft your "franchise" QB, who's not much of a QB, you have poured tons of coaches and other players time, talent and money into that one person with the same little or no payback instad of using those resources elsewhere. Overall a bust QB is a bigger detriment to the team than a bust OL. So if you're picking QB at #4, you better make real sure you have a franchise QB. And Clausen, McCoy and Tebow, all great college QB's, are not it. Bradford is close, but stil not it.

So what?

Three of those teams got their franchise QB in FA and not the draft...

For all of those teams that have "Franchise QB's" only two of them are perennial playoff teams...

Only two of those teams listed have actually won a Super Bowl...

There is no magical formula for building a team, and all of those teams you have listed have each done it a different way...Not all of the Qb's on those teams on the list are first round picks...You don't have to draft a QB in the first round to get a franchise QB...He just has to have skills that translate to the NFL, be a winner, be intelligent, and fit your system, and the same as with the first round pick get lucky that it all works out...

It doesn't matter how they acquired those QBs. They were picked high and were great. That's all that matters.

I think someone else did the research. It goes to show you that you don't need a first round OL to have a good offensive line.

And how many of those teams took a QB in the first round?

Colts: Yes

Jets: Yes

Cowboys: Actually lucked into Romo sits to pee, undrafted Free Agent

Vikings: They have Farve, 2nd round QB

Pats: 6th round QB

Cards: They have Warner, Undrafted Free Agent

Packers: Yes

Ravens: Yes

Chargers: Yes sir

Saints: They have Brees, 32nd pick in the draft (that's a first round pick folks)

Bengals - Yup

Eagles - Yes

So out of the 12 teams, 8 took QB's in the first round, 2 teams lucked into undrafted free agent QB's, and one guy was a early 2nd rounder and another was a 6th rounder. In other words the proofs right there for anyone giving a crap about facts and QB vs Offensive Line first round picks if you care to pay attention. Seems too many around here with big mouths don't seem to actually care about this though and as long as they can flap there gums loud enough they can make you believe this isn't the way it is. Don't be influenced by these people. We should take a QB in round one and not doing so has shown to be a mistake. If we had done that the last time we needed one we'd have Ben Rothesberger and not Jason Campbell on the team now. I guess we couldn't actually use Ben Rothesberger and Sean Taylor (God rest his soul) was the better pick? Wake up people :doh:

Well look at the San Diego Chargers. Drafted Ryan Leaf in 98-how much of a bust was that- didnt have a draft pick the next year. Got Rivers 4th overall in 2004 and looks like a favorite to win a SB. They havent drafted 1 first round OL since before Leaf.

The Skins drafted a great LT in 2000 and meddled (wasted) with two low first round pick QBs ever since and we are worse off than a team that busted a number 2 overall QB pick but still had the balls to understand that QB is the most important position and to pull the trigger accordingly.

If you dont have a franchise QB, you get one.

Yeah. The Skins screwed up by taking the LOT than the franchise QB that year - Chad Pennington. :doh::silly:

:helmet: The Rook

Archived