Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Many Teams in the Paloffs now drafted OL round 1?

hitmandm

Colts: None since Tarik Glenn in 97

Jets: D'Brickshaw and Mangold in 2007 but none since 78

Cowboys: None since 81

Vikings: McKinnie in 2002; Stringer 95

Pats: Logan Mankins in 2005 and Woody in 99

Cards: Levi Brown and Davis

Packers:none since 97

Ravens: Grubbs and Oher

Chargers: None since before Ryan Leaf

Saints: Jamall brown in 2005 in 12 years

Only the Jets and Cards have picked an OL in the past 10-12 years of all playoff teams in the top 10- and those guys arent really considered good. Colts, Jets, Chargers have QBs that were taken in top 5 picks and Ravens and Packers also first round QBs. They all have franchise QBs.

45% of playoff teams this year had QBs drafted in top 5 picks. Philly, Colts, Chargers, Bengals, Jets.

Only 16% had a OLT drafted in top 5 picks (Jets and Arizona)- and those guys arent that great

And close to 50% of the teams that won the Super Bowl had QBs drafted in the first round.

Its not a secret. Too bad people are too concerned about "bust" potential.

So what?

Three of those teams got their franchise QB in FA and not the draft...

For all of those teams that have "Franchise QB's" only two of them are perennial playoff teams...

Only two of those teams listed have actually won a Super Bowl...

There is no magical formula for building a team, and all of those teams you have listed have each done it a different way...Not all of the Qb's on those teams on the list are first round picks...You don't have to draft a QB in the first round to get a franchise QB...He just has to have skills that translate to the NFL, be a winner, be intelligent, and fit your system, and the same as with the first round pick get lucky that it all works out...

For all of those teams that have "Franchise QB's" only two of them are perennial playoff teams...

Really?

New England, Colts, Eagles, Green Bay - Draft.

Ravens, NYJ - Draft.

Cinci - Draft

Minn, NO - Draft - let go.

Not sure your point. It's weak at best. Sure some of these teams just drafted these guys. Sure some of them have only been in the league 1 or 2 years.

Regardless, your argument is weak...not really an argument because it's factually false.

Colts: None since Tarik Glenn in 97

Jets: D'Brickshaw and Mangold in 2007 but none since 78

Cowboys: None since 81

Vikings: McKinnie in 2002; Stringer 95

Pats: Logan Mankins in 2005 and Woody in 99

Cards: Levi Brown and Davis

Packers:none since 97

Ravens: Grubbs and Oher

Chargers: None since before Ryan Leaf

Saints: Jamall brown in 2005 in 12 years

Only the Jets and Cards have picked an OL in the past 10-12 years of all playoff teams in the top 10- and those guys arent really considered good. Colts, Jets, Chargers have QBs that were taken in top 5 picks and Ravens and Packers also first round QBs. They all have franchise QBs.

Colts- Manning (no brainer) He dont need ANY lineman LOL

Jets- Top DEFENSE and top RUNNING game

Chargers- Franchise QB that carries that team and is a great leader

Ravens- Good Qb with a great RUN game and strong DEF

Cards- Best of a bad division will be 1 and done

Vikes- AP and a DEF. Missing piece but wasnt drafted by Vikes (Jackson)

Cowboys- GREAT OL w/ an undrafted FA QB

Saints- Great Qb (they didnt draft), retooled the D and added a run game

Pats- 6th round gem at QB

What is your point exactly?

are those teams trying to rebuild an ENTIRE OFFENSIVE LINE? even though they didnt use first rounders on their lines none of those teams didnt flat out neglect their line for over a decade.

Obviously no one is saying to neglect the line. The point he is making is that you don't need to have a first round OL.

i think the skins situation is a little different. alot of people think the o line may need as many as 4 new starters next year, and is the weakest part of the team.

getting everyone to agree on that point, though, is not going to happen.

so, if shanny thinks O line is the biggest issue and theres a guy there, he takes him.

I think the end result here is that there is no magic formula for building a good team. What's important is that each year the team uses their opportunities to further IMPROVE the team. For example, the Baltimore Ravens had a championship defense for the last 5 years, but were continuing to improve their offense. Therefore, they took their opportunity to draft a QB because that's what they needed. Once they found their QB through the draft, they continued building their o-line to improve their running game. Look what happened? Michael Oher has made such an impact on the Ravens that they have substantially improved their run AND pass game.

I don't understand your argument here. It is obvious that the Redskins need to improve in many areas of their offense. What's important is that we continue to IMPROVE each year rather than using first round draft picks and the FA on positions that we don't need (which we've been doing for the last decade).

so, if shanny thinks O line is the biggest issue and theres a guy there, he takes him.

Here is my problem with that logic:

If you have 2 needs, lets say QB and LT for the sake of argument, and the Redskins are picking at 4 there and they believe that YES, OL is the "larger" problem of the two and Okung and Bradford are there...if you feel Bradford is a QB that fits your system and you can build around - you pull the trigger, no question.

The QB position trumps all. HOWEVER, if you DON'T feel that the QB available is worth that pick, then sure, you go LT.

Sorry wasn't trying to get your hopes up.:laugh: I always use that semi-neutral-sex wink. :)

;)=hint and not "hey baby" :silly:

Well, between that, your sig (which I worry has a picture of me in the eye, lol) and the drooley face, I am feeling all kinds of creeped out!:silly:

I thought it was obvious. You don't need 1st round o-linemen. What are you trying to prove?

I thought it was obvious, you dont need to draft a QB high in the draft either. You can get to the playoffs with a good D and running game. Rodgers sat what 3 years before starting, do we have that luxury? :doh:

P.S Warner wasnt drafted either (Arena leaguer) and just like Brady got a chance to shine because of injuries to their "franchise" QBs.

There is NO actual bluprint otherwise everyone would follow it. :doh:

Some here think theres a "franchise" QB in this draft, some think the OL talent is better and you build the line first.

After all the hype last year how GREAT this QB class would be, I think its BLAH. How did Bama do it? RUN GAME and DEFENSE while the pretty boy QB wussed out. :hysterical:

Archived