Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does McCoy's injury let Skins take OL and grab him in later rounds?

MCnDaHouse

Yes.

You didn't support your statement in your 1st post and the quote you linked mentions that he couldn't throw the ball due to the hit how does accuracy factor in?

By your same logic Bradford couldn't throw the ball accurately after his shoulder was hit for the second time.

No way I'd take him after that injury. It may be "only" a pinched nerve, but it was a creampuff hit that knocked him out of the biggest game of his life and left his arm hanging like a dead piece of meat.

Thanks anyway.

~Bang

No way I'd take him after that injury. It may be "only" a pinched nerve, but it was a creampuff hit that knocked him out of the biggest game of his life and left his arm hanging like a dead piece of meat.

Thanks anyway.

~Bang

I think its more of a case of bad luck.

Unlike Bradford who was rarely before his injury, McCoy has taken these types of hits everygame.

He's had over 100 rushing attempts for the past 3 seasons.

Just look at some of the Texas game recaps:

http://www.youtube.com/user/BruisingTaints#p/u/1/euhlhXA_ryk

Yes.

You didn't support your statement in your 1st post and the quote you linked mentions that he couldn't throw the ball due to the hit how does accuracy factor in?

He threw. The ball went soft and wide.

'And wide' being the key words in the above quote that you didn't read the first time I posted it.

Mel Kiper thinks he will drop to the 4th round.

No, I dont have a link, but it was on ESPN news, maybe somebody with an ESPN "Insider" account may find it.

One thing I mentioned in another thread is that Kyle Shanahan is from Longhorn U, so they may want to take a hard look at him, especially if he is there in the 4th round.

Well from what I understood he was going to fall to the 2nd / 3rd anyway. Now with the injury, I do not know if that makes him fall even further or if it solidifies him being taken in the 2nd or 3rd.

Too early to say. A lot will happen between now and the draft time. Combine, individual workouts, ....this is a wait and see situation.

Plus...who know how Shanny is going to feel about Mccoy once his QB evaluation is finished. Way too early to say.

Good News. Charlie Casserly just said his arm strength is almost back to 100% and that he will be evaluated by a doctor tomorrow. He is still projected as a late 1st round to early second round draft pick provided his evaluation is fine.

I would say if this is true...he would have enough talent/hype (depending on which side of the fence you're on about him) that the Rams would take him at the top of Round 2.

I would say if this is true...he would have enough talent/hype (depending on which side of the fence you're on about him) that the Rams would take him at the top of Round 2.

Agreed. It would be nice to trade down with say... the 49ers, who have two 1st round picks (13th and 16th). Get one of their 1st rounders plus additional picks equivalent to the value chart. I haven't seen Bradford play, but I do like what I seen from McCoy. Trading-up from the second round may be too costly in additional picks.

McCoy from the interviews I have seen doesn't seem like he is a rocket scientist, and I am using that title in an NFL comparison to the game's better quarterbacks.

We want somebody who can come in and learn quickly.

Another Heath Shuler that takes 3 years to learn the playbook would be a mistake this team will have trouble recovering from.

McCoy from the interviews I have seen doesn't seem like he is a rocket scientist, and I am using that title in an NFL comparison to the game's better quarterbacks.

We want somebody who can come in and learn quickly.

Another Heath Shuler that takes 3 years to learn the playbook would be a mistake this team will have trouble recovering from.

That's not what I have been hearing about him. His football intelligence and reading defenses is his greatest strength. I hear he is very smart. He studies defenses and can read them quickly. His college coach wants him to go into coaching. I bet he will be similar to Peyton Manning or Favre in the way that they change plays from the LOS.

If he's there in the 4th. Then sure. I think Shanny will be smart and realize taking a QB that high to pay him insane money...to sit for a few years while you need help all over, isn't the way to do it.

We need OL help, RB help, DB help, LB help. There are options.

Its cheaper to keep Campbell and tender value than a rookie QB who's going to get like a 40+ mill contract and not be ready for awhile.

Not necessarily. Not all QBs sit on the bench -- especially, 1st rounders. Eli Manniny, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez ... all played their rookie year. And, all did relatively well.

You cannot wait for 2-3 years to see if your QB is going to develop into a FRANCHISE QB. If you do so, you waste precious time making your team competitive.

McCoy suffers from the Schuler syndrome: really talented WR's during his College Career, and honestly not much in the way of competition. The Game that stood out for me was the Big 12 Championship where Suh basically owned him. I don't like Bradford that much either, in fact I don't like our options in 2010 and think that these QB's are the product of ESPN's hype machine

Not necessarily. Not all QBs sit on the bench -- especially, 1st rounders. Eli Manniny, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez ... all played their rookie year. And, all did relatively well.

You cannot wait for 2-3 years to see if your QB is going to develop into a FRANCHISE QB. If you do so, you waste precious time making your team competitive.

If you play a rookie QB, the odds are pretty high that your team is going to suck. Especially if your OLINE is a total mess like with the Redskins. You'd probably scar a rookie QB for life behind the Redskins Oline. Ruin his confidence and all that ... a la Joey Harrington with the Lions. You want the Skins to go 4-12 again in 2010?

McCoy suffers from the Schuler syndrome: really talented WR's during his College Career, and honestly not much in the way of competition. The Game that stood out for me was the Big 12 Championship where Suh basically owned him. I don't like Bradford that much either, in fact I don't like our options in 2010 and think that these QB's are the product of ESPN's hype machine

Lets not have revisionist history.

Shuler didn't have any 'syndrome' he was concensus stud QB prospect.

One of the most physically gifted QBs ever.

McCoy isn't half the prospect Shuler was neither are any of the QBs coming out.

How about the Texas vs Texas A&M game?

Colt McCoy isn't a very 'hyped' QB prospect he just happened to be the QB for an undefeated team heading into the national championship game.

Archie Manning: McCoy can look forward to solid NFL career

09:30 AM 01.08 Posted By: Andrew Perloff

Archie Manning joined the show to talk about his sons and college football.

Manning said he knows Colt McCoy very well and feels bad for him because he's such a good person. Nevertheless, Archie thinks McCoy will have a very solid NFL career. Manning said that McCoy is a very accurate passer.

Manning also weighed in on Tim Tebow's NFL future. "I don't think he'll be around that long on draft day," Manning said. But Manning said Tebow will be best served learning for a while before he starts in the pros.

Manning said that his son Eli is frustrated the Giants didn't make the playoffs, but the bottom line is that they weren't good enough.

Manning also talked about his former team the Saints. He said people are overlooking that they weren't completely healthy for their late-season slide, but they're back close to 100 percent.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/

Some of the comments on this thread are asinine.

To those who think Colt McCoy has no heart and should have been back in the game last thursday, he wanted to get back in the game but was told that he couldn't re-enter the game (which was in his and the team's best interest). Players get hurt on freak accidents all of the time. Unfortunately this injury was on the grandest stage of college football.

To those who believe he can't be a playmaker and is way too soft, I've watched McCoy play at the University of Texas for the past four seasons and he's made big play after big play without a true running game (most of the time he was our only legit running threat). He can make accurate throws on the run and launch the ball pretty far down the field. Like some have said above accuracy is better than a power arm.

Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy had similar stats in 2008 with Bradford having the edge in TDs and yards, while McCoy had the better completion percentage. Down the stretch though Oklahoma ran up the score on people which ultimately led to them going to the title game over Texas and Bradford winning the Heisman. If Texas had been to the title game instead McCoy most probably would have won. McCoy has many more intangibles than Bradford. Plus what has the guy done in a year??

And to those who comment on the fact that McCoy was Cowboys fan, please find another reason to dislike a player. Players are playing for money and a title, not what their childhood allegiances were.

I really hope the Redskins don't pass up on the opportunity to have a player like McCoy on the team because he leaves it all on the field.

Archived