Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan is "Medium"...what does that portend?

The Waterboy

According to Redskins Blog (http://blog.redskins.com/2010/01/07/stefan-fatsis-looks-at-mike-shanahan-from-two-points-of-view/) Stefan Fatsis description of Shanahan as a coach is "medium".

FTA: "WHAT THE FANS CAN EXPECT FROM SHANAHAN

"Mike is not a guy, I think fans will discover, who wears his emotions on his sleeve," Fatsis said. "He is a steady personality. He does not rise and fall with each victory or defeat. He has seen everything because he has been coaching for so long; nothing fazes him. The fans are the ones that go up and down and go crazy about wins and losses. Coaches need to be on a much more level plane. Mike understands that. "

The article could have substituted Zorn for "Mike". Sounds like a Zorn re-do. No? Yes?

I have to disagree with that. My impression of Mike Shanahan is that he is fiery,aggressive and demanding. He may not yell or shout but he would have that stern voice. Medium is good for not panicking but you need that stern authority and occasional fire and brimstone to light a fire among the guys. Discipline.

Now with game day demeanor, the late Tom Landry, the late Bill Walsh and our very own Joe gibbs had a stoic business like demeanor during games. I think they thought outbursts were a waste of time when they could be formulating the next play. You can consider that 'medium' in my humble opinion.

He talking specifically about what FANS should expect, not what players expect.

This basically tells people that he's not going into a state of depression after a loss and he's not going to think he's won the Super Bowl just by getting a win. The message I seem to be getting is that he will KEEP THINGS IN PERSPECTIVE.

He talking specifically about what FANS should expect, not what players expect.

This basically tells people that he's not going into a state of depression after a loss and he's not going to think he's won the Super Bowl just by getting a win. The message I seem to be getting is that he will KEEP THINGS IN PERSPECTIVE.

If you are speaking of the post game press conference, then that makes sense.

On the field, Joe Gibbs was stoic, business as usual. On the post game presser when we lost, he was for lack of a better word, gloom and doom.

Zorn as we know, stays medium all the time. That is his mantra.

Now Steve Spurrier, who i think is much,much worse than Zorn ever was , was just out of control and disorganized.

If you listen to the interviews (S. Sharp, Romanowski) with former players, I would say that isn't the case. He sounds like a "my way or the highway" kind of guy.

Watch the video stickied at the top. He not only sounds like he is a my way or guy, he looks one. His eyes are telling me he is here to win a SB. Be a part of the success or be gone. Nothing we don't need truth be told.

No.

Shanny is more intense. Like Die Hard. :)

The movie has nothing on me :)

There's a place for intensity on a football team. There's also a place for cerebral coaches. With the number of players on a football roster... you're going to get different types of players who respond to different kinds of coaches.

However, whether you're intense, emotional, laid-back.... it doesn't matter. In the end, you have to be good at what you do.... if you wish to achieve any kind of success.

Agreed with what Die Hard said- can't really put it much better, really.

If someone still doesn't get it, by staying medium, Shanahan is not going to go off to the public. We won't find clips of him on YouTube to rival Denny Green, Herman Edwards or Jim Mora Sr. Shanahan is intense on the field and with his players, but he's not going to be that guy to the media or the fans. That's what is trying to be conveyed here.

Archived