Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A running back to keep eye on in mid-late rounds

bubba9497

LaMarcus Coker

Height: 5-10 | Weight: 205 | Position:RB

12/29/2009 - This season Coker was the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference's leading rusher, totaling 1,027 yards and six touchdowns for the Pirates, who finished with a 5-6 record. He is hoping NFL teams will recognize the changes in his personal life. "It's hard to just say something that will make everybody believe you," he said. "The only thing I can do is keep doing the right things." In a second-floor room at the Coker family residence, there are three photos of LaMarcus scoring touchdowns at UT. In one, the closest defender is 20 yards behind him. There are two huge trophies Coker won in high school. There is also a wall with goals ??? including three pictures of Tennessee Titans running back Chris Johnson, considered the NFL's fastest player. In 2008, Johnson set an NFL Combine record by running the 40-yard dash in 4.24 seconds. At the East Coast Bowl in Petersburg, Va., last month, Coker ran the 40 in 4.28. He looks at the pictures and smiles. "If I saw Johnson on Second Avenue, I'd ask him to race me from one streetlight to another," Coker said, laughing. And who would win? "It would be close," he said. - Bryan Mullen, The Tennessean

:logo:

no.. but most of it was recieving.

depends on what type of back Shanahan wants.

a bruiser workhorse or a Sproles

1 game does not a career make, he also had big days against Florida and 'Bama.... and put up 1300+ yards and 12 rushing TD's against the SEC, while sharing carries.

If he falls to the 4th like the projection in the post on page 1, he would be a steal. His upside is huge.

Unless he puts up some monster numbers in the combine, add a few pounds on his frame and show that his blitz pickup has improved, he'll be a 3rd to 5th rounder.

LaMarcus Coker

Height: 5-10 | Weight: 205 | Position:RB

I was going mention this guy myself.

But has he changed his pot smoking ways?

If he runs 4.3/4.4 it will put teams in a second chance frame of mind.

Other late round backs with an eye toward change of pace and speed/KR/PR more then an every down back:

Someone already mentioned:

Joe McKnight*, USC

Height: 6-0. Weight: 200.

Projected 40 Time: 4.39.

Projected Round (2010): 3-4

Others:

Noel Devine*, West Virginia

Height: 5-8. Weight: 175.

Projected 40 Time: 4.31.

Projected Round (2010): 3-4.

DeMarco Murray*, Oklahoma

Height: 6-1. Weight: 215.

Projected 40 Time: 4.44.

Projected Round (2010): 4-5.

Chris Brown, Oklahoma

Height: 5-11. Weight: 208.

Projected 40 Time: 4.47.

Projected Round (2010): 5-6.

keep it coming ... I like that there are a good amount of quality RB's to be had in this draft. Although I am a Clemson alum (GO TIGERS!) ... and I have followed Spiller's entire career (as ridiculous as it was) ... there's no point in spending a #4 pick in the 1st round pick on him. I think Spiller falls at least to #12 or later in the 1st round.

That kid Ryan Mathews from Fresno St. is very intriguing ... I saw a few of his highlights and he looks pretty shifty, appears to have good hands catching out of the backfield ... and a solid 220 frame that can run in between the tackles.

Unless he puts up some monster numbers in the combine, add a few pounds on his frame and show that his blitz pickup has improved, he'll be a 3rd to 5th rounder.

I think that he will measure out pretty high at the combine. When it comes to weight, he will probably add some LBs for the combine during prep.

couldn't stay out of trouble at Tennessee :(

a fast fast rb

This is true (smoked pot) and that is why I have seen him projected from a UDFA to as high as the 5th round pick.

That being said he rushed for 1479 yds and 7 tds on a pass first team that only had 5 wins vs. 6 losses in 2009. He also returns kicks and catches passes. So if he is clean and can run a sub 4.3 at the combine some team may take a chance on him late. Could be a steal.

most have him in the 4th round

Sounds perfect.

Yep I want him also he is a projected 5th and is good at catching

Even better.

like Portis, he likes to block

How 'bout that, we agree on something!

If we can get an OT in rd 1 and McCluster in rd 2. I will be ****in pumped. This guy was unreal in the cotton bowl. just sick.

Second round?? Id like to see some more of his highlights.

Hopefully through free agency and early draft rounds we can address the o-line, and maybe a scenario like this is feasible. One can only hope.

Sounds perfect.

Even better.

How 'bout that, we agree on something!

Second round?? Id like to see some more of his highlights.

Hopefully through free agency and early draft rounds we can address the o-line, and maybe a scenario like this is feasible. One can only hope.

Apparently he is a converted WR, watching him hit people like he did at 165 he would be scary at around 190

Well, we'll get to see Hardesty in the Senior Bowl (Jan 30) along with Ben Tate (Auburn) and Anthony Dixon (Miss St). All similar size (220 lbs) and speed (~4.5 sec 40) with Dixon being beefier (235 lbs).

The good news is it's likely Hardesty would drop to the fourth. But the Senior Bowl is a real career booster and Hardesty could inch up a round if he performs well.

Schools like UT will have quality sleepers in the draft.

Alfonso Smith

Height: 6-1 | Weight: 204 | Position:RB

1116949.jpg

12/07/2009 - Senior tailback Alfonso Smith was somewhat perturbed when he found a Web site that listed Spiller as the fastest senior back in the nation. Smith claimed that the Web site got he and Spiller's 40-yard dash times mixed up, listing Spiller with 4.3 speed and Smith with 4.4. Smith has been clocked below a 4.3 at UK Pro Day workouts in the past. He indicated he'd like to have a friendly race with Spiller just to prove his point. "How can you switch 40 times like that?" Smith said with a laugh. "I don't run a 4.4; that's an insult. I've got something to prove. I hope we can do it at practice. Have the cameras there so everybody can see it." - Chip Cosby, Kentucky.com

Another late round or UDFA sleeper.

Archived