Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Remember We Run a ZBS (Comments on Drafting OLs)

method man

I'm a WVU fan and have seen most of the games, and at times our pass protection was very suspect against better teams. Not sure that the break downs were on Selvish Capers, but its enough to make me nervous about drafting him. Normally I'm gung ho about us drafting WV players, but Capers I think would be better inside at Guard.

Capers is definitely raw, but I am loving his high potential upside.

True dat. I wouldn't be surprised to see them take Davis with their first pick, Spiller with their other one, and Iupati with their second rounder. We won't be able to sleep long on those linemen if we want them.

The best guard often goes in the first round. Iupati is supposed to be one of the best to come out in years, so I doubt he'd make it to the second round. From what I've seen he just holds a lot - maybe you can get away with that as a interior lineman.

Its simply that with a zone blocking scheme you can get away with smaller offensive linemen and athleticism is of greater weight than size . You still PREFER big guys just not at the cost of other factors.

YOu prefer guys that can play well... some guys have it... some don't...

There is an assumption by the OP that we will be a zone blocking line. Given Shanahan's comments, that isn't a sure thing. It sounds like he's going to be going with what he feels the linemen we have are good at, which he hasn't decided yet since he hasn't done his analysis.

It is a LONGSHOT that he keeps around most of these linemen...

Why? Have you watched him play? Have you watched Anthony Davis this season to see what an elite LT prospect looks like? His projections are based on actual observation and film study not heresay and unfounded dratnik hype. That guy knows what he's talking about. Okung just isn't that special.

I admit that I haven't watched him play much other than seeing highlights and watching him, but some scouting reports I've read say he is a much better run blocking Tackle and that is pass pro is ok but not great because he doesn't have great foot speed. What have you seen from him that makes you think he would be a very good LT in the NFL?

Just a humble question...

Dont we tend to build big o-lines in the NFCE to play with the pukes, gnats, and beagles? With that said, we did go 0-6 in the division, so I'm all for starting fresh with a new oline direction.

BTW, how come we passed on Leonard Davis when he tried out here? He ended up in Dallas, and is now in the pro bowl. Was there something questionable or is this just another Vinny mistake?

Archived