Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

QUESTION: Has any HC ever lead 2 different teams to the SB

ManleyMann7271

In the past I have been against bringing in a former Super Bowl winner here because history has shown that they don't have the same fire and spark to win it again in their new city.

Shanahan bringing in his son and grooming him does provide an X factor for me though. I very much could see Shanahan get energized and passionate about winning a Super Bowl, like he was 15 years ago, with his son reportedly on the staff and then handing over the reigns to him in 5 or 6 years (however long this rebuild is going to take).

In the past I have been against bringing in a former Super Bowl winner here because history has shown that they don't have the same fire and spark to win it again in their new city.

Shanahan bringing in his son and grooming him does provide an X factor for me though. I very much could see Shanahan get energized and passionate about winning a Super Bowl, like he was 15 years ago, with his son reportedly on the staff and then handing over the reigns to him in 5 or 6 years (however long this rebuild is going to take).

The other thing I like hearing about Shanahan is that he has spent this season studying other teams trying to get better. This is a guy who wants to win and isn't afraid to change something to do it.

no one has won with 2.... but we love to break SB barriers in DC (black QB, 3 different QBs/RBs for one coach)

Thanks, that gives me the slightest bit of hope. I'm still going into any super bowl appearance expecting to lose though.

Is this supposed to be an argument against Shanahan? If so, it's not a very good one.

Dungy turned Tampa into a contender, then turned Indy into a contender. A great coach can change the culture of a team. Whether he gets us to the Super Bowl or not, Shanahan will instill a winning culture here. The Redskins winning culture ended in 1992. Time to bring it back. Once we are a consistent winner, we'll worry about getting a championship.

No, I was curious if it had been done before. If you want me to make an argument against Shanahan, I can do that.

vermele and shula lost the SB - then took a 2nd team to the SB and won

holmgren and parcels wont the SB - then took a 2nd team to the SB and lost

noone has ever won a sb, then changed teams, them won a 2nd SB.

hell, the list of coaches who have won SB's with different QB's is small too.

just something to think about.

who can name quarterbacks that have led two different teams to superbowls?

warner is the only one i can think of thats been to the big dance wearing two different uniforms.

Just think... Kurt Warner and Mark Brunell were both available... our scouting department recommended Brunell to Gibbs...

warner is the only one i can think of thats been to the big dance wearing two different uniforms.

I cheated and checked Wikipedia, other than Warner there has only been one QB to have done that in the Super Bowl era.

Craig Morton was the Cowboys starting QB in 1970 and lost SB 5 to the Colts. He was also the Broncos quarterback in 1977 and lost SB 12 to the Cowboys.

Craig Morton, who vied with Staubach before coach Landry finally saw sense, started SB V for Dallas, and SBXII for Denver, ironically when Roger got his revenge for Morton getting the nod in SB V.

Ahh, the joys of partnering a Cowgirl. :(.

Hail.

No coach has ever won with different teams but these went with seperate teams.

Don Shula, Colts & Miami

Bill Parcells, Giants & Patriots

Dick Vermeil, Eagles & Rams

Dan Reeves, Broncos & Falcons

Mike Holmgren, Packers & Seahawks

Dick Vermeil has been quoted as saying Mike Shanahan is the best coach he's ever coached against.

Earl Morrall, colts and dolphins....kind of anyway. He took over for Unitas due to injury and lost in SB3 - later won after taking over for Unitas again in SB 5. He was picked up by Shula in '72 and took over for Griese due to injury as well, however Griese got his job back in the paloffs....so Morrall did have a hand in leading them by winning more than half their games in their undefeated season, but did not actually appear in the '72 super bowl. He was also on the team for the '73 season, but played sparingly and again didn't see the field for SB8. He got 3 rings in the end.

Is this supposed to be an argument against Shanahan? If so, it's not a very good one.

Dungy turned Tampa into a contender, then turned Indy into a contender. A great coach can change the culture of a team. Whether he gets us to the Super Bowl or not, Shanahan will instill a winning culture here. The Redskins winning culture ended in 1992. Time to bring it back. Once we are a consistent winner, we'll worry about getting a championship.

Well there is someone that apparently thinks this IS a good argument against Shanny. Where was this guy last week?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/community/groups/index.html?plckForumPage=Forum&plckForumId=Cat:a70e3396-6663-4a8d-ba19-e44939d3c44fForum:287148f9-2a17-42f1-bff5-844a5a09f2d3&plckCategoryCurrentPage=0

Archived