Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lavar Arrington closes his restaurant 'The Sideline' down.

WhoRUSupposed2Be

Lavar should have made his first dabble into the restaurant business something lower scale, like Ben's Chili Bowl. Focus on the food and the price. Turn a profit and learn the business. Work your way up to nicer establishments with strong partnerships that can really only be built inside the business or through other successful ventures.

People like to get too complicated when they go into business, certain that they have it all figured out. Keep it simple. Focus on the basics. Turn a profit. Once you've accomplished the basic fundamentals of a business, and learned the unavoidable lessons along the way, you can try to get fancy.

The longest lasting restaurants in the country do just a few things very well. Steak houses, pizza places, bars, and burger joints. They don't have menu's that include everything under the sun and turn into a shady dance club when the sun goes down.

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/05/0512_oldest_restaurants/index.htm

There is an article and slide show on America's longest running restaurants. They come in with a game plan and they stick to it. None of this jack of all trades garbage.

I can understand not liking Hell's Kitchen. It's the typical shock reality show. But why don't you like Kitchen Nightmares? He still does his cussing thing but the show is fairly smart imo.
Trust me, he's going to places where the food is horrible... If you go to a place that everything is atrocious, then be worried, not all restaurants are like that... It's like a home inspector reality show, where the guy goes around to the worst houses (omg my heating bills are $600/month, what can I do?) and replaces windows and seals doors...

Basically what ION eluded to. The places he "fixes", he is fixing no brainer types of things. Most restaurants fail, for the same exact reasons Lavars did. Not doing what obviously works, trying to change an identity people like, poor execution, owner not being around (regardless of ability), etc.

I think I hate that show for two reasons. The incredible douchebaggery level of Ramseys whinny ***** ass and because I have been wanting my own place for a long time and know what not to do. I've been in the restaurant business for almost all of my life and I've done almost everything. So, to watch that clown puncher point out glaringly obvious things and act like the most brilliant ass, while doing it, infuriates me.

I wonder how badly he and Chad will complain when a caller brings this up on their show. Both of them have such a shallow understanding of integrity that they completely freak out when questioned on it.

They probably will hang up on them. This could be the beginning of the end of their show as well.

I kinda wanted to visit the place.

I haven't. When is that on? I'm always looking for tips, for when I finally get my shot.

I don't know when but it's on some directv/cable channel, possibly bbc. They're just repeats though. He's much more normal in the brit version. It's shot in a more documentary style and he's isn't always screaming. You'll probably like him more after watching those.

Basically what ION eluded to. The places he "fixes", he is fixing no brainer types of things. Most restaurants fail, for the same exact reasons Lavars did. Not doing what obviously works, trying to change an identity people like, poor execution, owner not being around (regardless of ability), etc.

I think I hate that show for two reasons. The incredible douchebaggery level of Ramseys whinny ***** ass and because I have been wanting my own place for a long time and know what not to do. I've been in the restaurant business for almost all of my life and I've done almost everything. So, to watch that clown puncher point out glaringly obvious things and act like the most brilliant ass, while doing it, infuriates me.

people get help from consultants all the time and that is basically all he does. I dont know that much about him but I am sure that he has several successful restaurants... if someone is on hard times and cant figure out there business why wouldnt they ask someone more successful then them selfs for advice?

people get help from consultants all the time and that is basically all he does. I dont know that much about him but I am sure that he has several successful restaurants... if someone is on hard times and cant figure out there business why wouldnt they ask someone more successful then them selfs for advice?

Not the point. He picks easy targets and acts like a know it all, who points out the obvious and acts like it's groundbreaking.

Not the point. He picks easy targets and acts like a know it all, who points out the obvious and acts like it's groundbreaking.

no, i think it is the point... he is showing people who obviously have no idea how to run there business what they need to fix. Not just food and menu but financial advice also.

No mater how small and trivial his advice is to someone who has experience in the industry it doesnt mean that he cant help some people.

Not talking at all about any of the US versions of his shows though, those are all over produced and horrible, always looking for conflict. The BBC ones are much better.

Why don't you like the show? Just curious.

Dukes bothers me...and I used to like him on his old show. He treats callers pretty bad and its not really funny when he does it anymore. It used to be kinda funny on his old show but now its just annoying because he acts like he knows a lot more about sports than he really does. I'd still listen to it over whatever they have on 980 though.

Dude claimed the other day that his favorite teams in order are Steelers, Redskins, then Giants.

:hysterical:

:chair:

Means that he is at heart a Steelers fan but got paid by the rest.

Knowing the business pretty well, that guy is a jack ass and both of his shows are unwatchable.

He is a typical fine dining chef. For a reason.

Lavar should have made his first dabble into the restaurant business something lower scale, like Ben's Chili Bowl.

Ben's is nothing more than good. There is plenty of better chili out there.

Dukes bothers me...and I used to like him on his old show. He treats callers pretty bad and its not really funny when he does it anymore. It used to be kinda funny on his old show but now its just annoying because he acts like he knows a lot more about sports than he really does. I'd still listen to it over whatever they have on 980 though.

Couldn't agree more. Chad pretends he knows football and acts like an authority on the subject but frankly the guy is a clueless hack.

It was a cool ideal, but I think he should of had it in the city for a chance to make it successful vs up in the Cap Center. If he had it in the city, it would have been a hit. It's only good during football season and the basketball playoffs. Also, the drinks are too high there. That's another reason why for his demise.

that may have contributed to the demise.....

BUT, what killed it wasn't even the 'nightclub' aspect. They had Go-Go bands there literally every nite. (except karaoke nite) There were actually a few shootings AND a stabbing there... his liquor license was pulled for a few weeks... (the place was shut down by the county for a short period.

had he kept it as a STRAIGHT restaurant or sports bar I think he would have been fine... moving it INTO the city definitely would have helped.

I went in there once.... food was definitely average at best... the bar wasn't in the best place to view the 'big screen'. (Your back was either to the bar or to the screen.... if you sat on the opposite end you had a hard time seeing it across the liquor bottles...)

Like previous poster's have already said, it's hard for me to take anything he says seriously especially when it comes to bashing front office ethics regarding the skins when he himself has issues running a business himself. At least I've never heard of the Dan bouncing any players checks. I listen to his show often, but I wonder if anybody else is in the same boat as me. After hearing about this story and reading into detail about it, hearing what he says on the radio carries no weight anymore for me, until he clears the air about what he has to say about the whole ordeal I'll continue to feel that way.

Archived