Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bruce Campbell Declares for Draft

method man

How many high round tackles are busts? I think taking any tackle in the 1st or 2nd round will get you an eventual starting caliber player. It seems very rare that one of them will be total busts (honestly, I can only think of our own Mike Williams), but other than that, any of them would be better than what we have now. I'd prefer to get someone like Okung, but if we get a OT -- any OT-- in the 1st or 2nd, I'd be happy.

Tony Mandarich. Robert Gallery. Mike Williams. There have been a good number, but probably less percentage wise than DL, WR and QB. That being said, someone did a breakdown of this in this thread:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=295979&page=203

I don't feel like looking through the last 50 pages, but they listed all of the recent 1st round OT's vs QB's, and the miss rate wasn't nearly as tilted in favor or QB's as I would have guessed.

In any case, I think Bruce Campbell would be a beast pick. His draft slot is probably lowered by his MCL and turf toe injuries, but those are not chronic injuries. At 6'6" and 310#, he can bench 490, runs a 4.8 and has a 34" vertical. That bench number is incredible for a guy with arms as long as Campbell's. When healthy, Campbell appears to play to the level that those numbers would suggest. That is the kind of athleticism that can neutralize a Ware, or Orakpo. I hope he doesn't end up in the NFC East, unless it is with us.

I like Okung, but he is probably near his ceiling right now. Bruce Campbell could wind up being a dominating player whose NFL career is better than his collegiate one.

First off, I don't think Bulaga will declare. He had a horrible season due to a mysterious career-threatening illness. I think it is likely he stays at Iowa another year and becomes one of the top 2 tackle prospects in the 2011 draft.

Second, I am not that impressed with Okung. I don't feel Okung deserves to be a top 5 pick. Eugene Monroe, who went in the bottom half of the top 10 last year, was better as a prospect in every way than Okung is. To be frank, Okung, in his present state, would have been the no. 4 tackle in last year's draft. Sure, Okung is good at pass protection, but his runblocking is not worthy of a top 5 pick. Would I be mad if we took him? No. However, I won't be happy either. I would rather pick up a guy like Charles Brown or Bruce Campbell in the mid-1st, which would be a good value, if we are going to go get a tackle in the 1st round.

Tony Mandarich. Robert Gallery. Mike Williams. There have been a good number, but probably less percentage wise than DL, WR and QB. That being said, someone did a breakdown of this in this thread:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=295979&page=203

I don't feel like looking through the last 50 pages, but they listed all of the recent 1st round OT's vs QB's, and the miss rate wasn't nearly as tilted in favor or QB's as I would have guessed.

In any case, I think Bruce Campbell would be a beast pick. His draft slot is probably lowered by his MCL and turf toe injuries, but those are not chronic injuries. At 6'6" and 310#, he can bench 490, runs a 4.8 and has a 34" vertical. That bench number is incredible for a guy with arms as long as Campbell's. When healthy, Campbell appears to play to the level that those numbers would suggest. That is the kind of athleticism that can neutralize a Ware, or Orakpo. I hope he doesn't end up in the NFC East, unless it is with us.

I like Okung, but he is probably near his ceiling right now. Bruce Campbell could wind up being a dominating player whose NFL career is better than his collegiate one.

I agree. Turf toe is a lingering injury, though; that is why Laveraneus Coles, for example, was never able to replicate his production his first year in DC. However, I don't think turf toe is as big a deal for linemen.

That being said, I really like Campbell because of that high ceiling. He has the potential to be a perennial Pro Bowler. Okung lacks that.

What we should be hoping for is that we lose the rest of these games so that we can obtain a top 5 pick. At this point, we should hope that there is a team out there drafting in the teens that loves Clausen and is willing to fork over a 2nd. We can then use that mid-1st on Campbell and then package our 2 2nd's to get back into late round 1 and snag Arthur Jones.

I agree. Turf toe is a lingering injury, though; that is why Laveraneus Coles, for example, was never able to replicate his production his first year in DC.

Two of Coles next three seasons after his first season here he had at least 90 catches and 950 yards. And coming in to 2007 he had started every game the previous six seasons.

As the draft gets closer, I'm sure we'll get more info on Campbell and the specifics of his past injuries. I have a friend that goes to UMD, and she says if you see Campbell up close he looks mammoth.

Two of Coles next three seasons after his first season here he had at least 90 catches and 950 yards. And coming in to 2007 he had started every game the previous six seasons.

As the draft gets closer, I'm sure we'll get more info on Campbell and the specifics of his past injuries. I have a friend that goes to UMD, and she says if you see Campbell up close he looks mammoth.

That is more a testament to Coles's ability to change his role. Before he got turf toe, he was a very good deep threat. However, post-turf toe, he lost that ability and became a possession receiver.

He is a workout/combine warrior who can actually play, although the "great' Strephon Heyer has me leery of taking Md Offensive tackles. Davis impressed me. I just wish Okung would fall to us and we could get Jason fox in the second. Get rid of Rabach while we're at it, dude flat out sucks

He is a workout/combine warrior who can actually play, although the "great' Strephon Heyer has me leery of taking Md Offensive tackles. Davis impressed me. I just wish Okung would fall to us and we could get Jason fox in the second. Get rid of Rabach while we're at it, dude flat out sucks

Jason Fox has been mediocre when I've watched him, and is missing the bowl game after having a knee surgery. I can't see him going in round 2. On potential alone, Selvish Capers would probably be a better choice at that spot, although top of the second is too high for Capers as well. As bad as Mike Williams was last night, our need at right guard is probably just as dire as at RT.

Archived