Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bah humbug. Christmas/Xmas h8ers here- Merged adventures of Toe Jam whining

Toe Jam

I've got one who is 13 and is 100% certain that Santa is fake, but I'll never tell. Obviously he knows I'm full of it, but I will not relent and say that it's not real, (I just give him that sideways look and tell him "you better hope santa didn't hear that") It's fun for both of us,, he tries his best to convince me it's not real, and I just hold the line. It's just a game anymore, but when he was 9, 10,, it was fun watching think he had it figured out, but the fact I wouldn't confirm his suspicions made him still hold that wonder a bit.

When he's 30 I plan on still holding the line.

Christmas is great. The one time of year when people are actually nice to one another for the right reasons.

~Bang

My Dad did this to me too, even through high school when I was past the point of even acknowledging the game. It amused the hell out of him.:)

I've got one who is 13 and is 100% certain that Santa is fake, but I'll never tell. Obviously he knows I'm full of it, but I will not relent and say that it's not real, (I just give him that sideways look and tell him "you better hope santa didn't hear that") It's fun for both of us,, he tries his best to convince me it's not real, and I just hold the line. It's just a game anymore, but when he was 9, 10,, it was fun watching think he had it figured out, but the fact I wouldn't confirm his suspicions made him still hold that wonder a bit.

When he's 30 I plan on still holding the line.

Christmas is great. The one time of year when people are actually nice to one another for the right reasons.

~Bang

LOL!! I LOVE this idea!

My girls have been "tricked" a bit because in recent years we left town to visit my folks for Christmas. When we got back, usually a few days after Christmas day, they find that gifts are there that werent there when we left.

What they didnt realize is that we would leave very early in the morning to drive north, I would lay out all the gifts after I had loaded them into the car (somewhat sleepy too).

I'm gonna steal your idea and keep up the "fib" forever. :hysterical:

I am an atheist and I love Christmas and New Years.

I'm not surprised that out of all of the people in this thread talking about why they like Christmas, that the celebration of the birth of Christ hasn't been mentioned. Besides the "I like Christmas and I'm a Jew" post, you're the only other person that seems to connect the holiday with religion.

Do many of you think/care about the religious side of the holiday (outside of the 1-hour long Christmas Eve service)? Not an indictment on the posters so far, just curious.

Santa's workshop

Now this is interesting. What all can we tell about this picture? The part I like...this obviously shows a man who is good with tools and putting stuff together, what with the various saws, ladders, drills, and what have you. And yet, the only picture in the place is of Jim Belushi as Bluto Blutarsky, a notorious drunk with a ZERO POINT ZERO!!!!

Also, that weight set is looking awfully pristine and unused.;)

Anyway, how can your kid possibly believe Santa is delivering this new playground to him? Doesn't he notice it being built in the backyard, or the fact that you disappear for hours into the workshop and are carrying pieces around the yard?

Do many of you think/care about the religious side of the holiday (outside of the 1-hour long Christmas Eve service)? Not an indictment on the posters so far, just curious.

To some degree yes. I love the music, what the day means, the way everyone seems nicer to each other (after the shopping is done) The whole gift part isn't that exciting anymore personally.

As for the religious aspect, I understand and respect it, and go to the services. But there's been enough speculation and study arguing that Jesus wasn't actually born on the 25th of December, so that aspect doesn't mean quite as much to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a believer and all, I just accept the idea that not every tradition we have is 100% accurate or factual.

I'm not surprised that out of all of the people in this thread talking about why they like Christmas, that the celebration of the birth of Christ hasn't been mentioned. Besides the "I like Christmas and I'm a Jew" post, you're the only other person that seems to connect the holiday with religion.

In one of my posts I said I like to emphaszie the words "Merry Christmas." Why do you think that is?

Being aggressively non-religious, no I don't believe any of the religious connotations.

However, Jesus was a man of peace, and that is worth celebrating as far as I'm concerned. If others want to celebrate a person they think is their Savior or Son of God, fine by me. Who am I to say otherwise? (Or, more aptly, why should I ruin their day?) I can respect their faith even if I don't share it.

And I definitely say "Merry Christmas". Some people find the word Christmas offensive since they don't believe in the Christ part of it. I find them offensive, and ask them to please learn some manners and grace. T'is the season of goodwill towards ALL.

~Bang

In one of my posts I said I like to emphaszie the words "Merry Christmas." Why do you think that is?

You can't be serious. Just because you or anyone else says Merry Christmas doesn't mean they intend to communicate the religious connotation. Maybe you intended this, but when someone says "Merry Christmas", to me, they are conveying the holiday spirit of giving, family, etc. rather than "happy birthday Jesus".

I absolutely care about the basis for the holiday, it plays a votal part of our festivities annually. Aside frfrom going to a service, we also try to talk about the reason for christmas with our kids and we emphasize that Santa is "St. Nicholas", in addition to the religious discussions, we also have a family tradition of reading about Washington's crossing the delaware on Christmas eve and how important that was to gaining our independance.

You can't be serious. Just because you or anyone else says Merry Christmas doesn't mean they intend to communicate the religious connotation. Maybe you intended this, but when someone says "Merry Christmas", to me, they are conveying the holiday spirit of giving, family, etc. rather than "happy birthday Jesus".

Okay, you know me better then me. Thanks for clearing that up.

Actually, I emphasize it for several reasons. None which I need to explain to you.

Merry Happy Birthday to Jesus day to you.

To clarify, I have no issue with people celebrating Christmas in a religious or non-religious fashion. I fully embrace the holiday spirit, recognize and value the birth of Christ (even as an agnostic), but I think of "giving" and "family" more than "Christ".

All three are tied together IMO.

To clarify, I have no issue with people celebrating Christmas in a religious or non-religious fashion. I fully embrace the holiday spirit, recognize and value the birth of Christ (even as an agnostic), but I think of "giving" and "family" more than "Christ".

As a Christian, I have a very hard time separating any of the three.

Okay, you know me better then me. Thanks for clearing that up.

Actually, I emphasize it for several reasons. None which I need to explain to you.

Merry Happy Birthday to Jesus day to you.

You just aren't contributing to a productive discussion, unlike SnyderShrugged and the others that have shared their thoughts. Your message just sounds like "I say Merry Christmas so obviously I care about the religious part".

You just aren't contributing to a productive discussion, unlike SnyderShrugged and the others that have shared their thoughts. Your message just sounds like "I say Merry Christmas so obviously I care about the religious part".

Maybe I don't shove it down people's throat because they might not necessarily share the same beliefs I do? I'm not turning this into a religious debate. If you want to, you better seek another opponent.

Maybe I don't shove it down people's throat because they might not necessarily share the same beliefs I do? I'm not turning this into a religious debate. If you want to, you better seek another opponent.

I'm not making this a religious debate. I'm not saying the holidays should be religious or not-religious. I am asking the group if and how they observe Christianity during the Holiday. This is what I'm seeking, so I agree that I should try seeking someone else for this discussion although it's not as an opponent.

As a Christian, I have a very hard time separating any of the three.

We can all appreciate values that we hold in common. I don't think you need to separate them from religion any more than atheists or agnostics need to connect them to religion...

Archived