Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obama's Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech

alexey

Some video here:

Full text is here:

http://c-span.org/pdf/intl121009_obama.pdfNotable excerpts:

We must begin by acknowledging the hard truth that we will not eradicate violent conflict in our lifetimes. There will be times when nations – acting individually or in concert – will find the use of force not only necessary but morally justified.

I make this statement mindful of what Martin Luther King said in this same ceremony years ago – “Violence never brings permanent peace. It solves no social problem: it merely creates new and more complicated ones.” As someone who stands here as a direct consequence of Dr. King’s life’s work, I am living testimony to the moral force of non-violence. I know there is nothing weak –nothing passive – nothing naïve – in the creed and lives of Gandhi and King.

But as a head of state sworn to protect and defend my nation, I cannot be guided by their examples alone. I face the world as it is, and cannot stand idle in the face of threats to the American people. For make no mistake: evil does exist in the world. A non-violent movement could not have halted Hitler’s armies. Negotiations cannot convince al Qaeda’s leaders to lay down their arms. To say that force is sometimes necessary is not a call to cynicism – it is a recognition of history; the imperfections of man and the limits of reason.

I raise this point because in many countries there is a deep ambivalence about military action today, no matter the cause. At times, this is joined by a reflexive suspicion of America, the world’s sole military superpower.

Yet the world must remember that it was not simply international institutions – not just treaties and declarations – that brought stability to a post-World War II world. Whatever mistakes we have made, the plain fact is this: the United States of America has helped underwrite global security for more than six decades with the blood of our citizens and the strength of our arms. The service and sacrifice of our men and women in uniform has promoted peace and prosperity from Germany to Korea, and enabled democracy to take hold in places like the Balkans. We have borne this burden not because we seek to impose our will. We have done so out of enlightened self-interest – because we seek a better future for our children and grandchildren, and we believe that their lives will be better if other peoples’ children and grandchildren can live in freedom and prosperity.

That's a terribly cynical response to the segment posted.
LOL indeed. This post does not reflect the intelligence I know you posses.

IF you were to put a Bush speech on one page, and an Obama speech on the other page, have no attributions to either, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference (in regards to the war)

SS is correct in that this is a very "Bushian" speech

Even Jon Stewart has a clip of this

http://rawstory.com/2009/12/stewart-obama-channelling_bush/

IF you were to put a Bush speech on one page, and an Obama speech on the other page, have no attributions to either, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference (in regards to the war)

IMHO that's a big stretch.

IMHO that's a big stretch.

Not at all.

Look at the comparisons each makes

Bring up WW2 and Hitler- check

Talk about America maintaining global security since the end of WW2- check

I love this quote from the President today

"There will be times when nations -- acting individually or in concert -- will find the use of force not only necessary but morally justified."

Key words- individually and morally

I think it's partially the problem of having to give a Nobel Peace speech as both as sitting President and as a President who done nothing noteworthy (policywise) in terms of securing the peace.

He talks about that in first several paragraphs of his speech.

http://rawstory.com/2009/12/stewart-obama-channelling_bush/

Never thought I'd see a day when you trot out Jon Stewart to support your point ;)

Your point does not hold for a whole speech. You may find similarities between individual sentences, maybe some paragraphs, the general structure, things like that. You may also find similarities in decisions that they make, if you look at them from 30000 feet like SS.

I suspect that you are fully aware of being dead wrong about this.

:doh:

Thank God you often make good posts in regards to the economy and a few other issues - otherwise you'd be in danger of becoming another 81artmonk.

Glad you like some of my posts, sorry you cant see reality regarding this one.

Please delineate between this speach (the entire one) and most of Bush's regarding the wars in the middle east.

How come Obama gets a Nobel for doing the same things Bush did?

Not at all.

Look at the comparisons each makes

Bring up WW2 and Hitler- check

Talk about America maintaining global security since the end of WW2- check

I love this quote from the President today

Key words- individually and morally

I think you might be misunderestimating Obama's rhetorical skills. ;)

Sorry couldn't resist.:silly:

Never thought I'd see a day when you trot out Jon Stewart to support your point ;)

Your point does not hold for a whole speech. You may find similarities between individual sentences, maybe some paragraphs, the general structure, things like that.

I have to run right now.

However later today I'll try and put an Obama war speech next to a Bush war speech and ask the class which one belongs to whom.

LOL, according to his twisted logic, Bush should have won a Nobel peace prize before him!

Have you checked your home's carbon monoxide detectors lately?

Something about your "logic" tells me you're in an oxygen-deprived state right now.

Oh, but I thought Obama hadn't done anything yet?

Twist and spin, twist and spin...

Please delineate between this speach (the entire one) and most of Bush's regarding the wars in the middle east.

However later today I'll try and put an Obama war speech next to a Bush war speech and ask the class which one belongs to whom.

At least SHF is not trying to get others to do his legwork.

Glad you like some of my posts, sorry you cant see reality regarding this one.

First off, I never said Obama deserved the Nobel Peace Prize - in fact I'm in the camp that thinks he didn't really do anything worthy of receiving the award.

However, if you listen to the whole speech there isn't much there that resembles a speech by GWB. Obama also didn't make the decision to invade Iraq when we were already attempting to accomplish the main objective in Afghanistan. In that regard at least - Obama has been playing the hand he was dealt.

Archived