Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Please Sign Graham Gano!

McD5

For those not familiar with who I hope is our new kicker. Some highlights of Gano:

As a senior at FSU, Graham was awarded the nation's top honor for a placekicker when he won the Lou Groza Award.

Graham made 24 of 26 field goals in 2008 while leading the nation in field goals per game (2.18) and leading all kickers scoring 9.55 points a game. His two misses? From 50 and 52 yards.

Made a school-record 18 straight field goals, tied for the national lead in field goals made (24) and led the country with five made kicks from at least 50 yards.

During the last year of his career at Florida State, Graham was asked to, and became the first player in school history to handle all of the kicking duties - consisting of punting, placements and kickoffs - for the 2008 season.

Named the top punter in the ACC by the Sporting News.

Was Florida State's punter (42.1 yards per punt average) and handled all of the kickoff duties (39 touchbacks on 157 kickoffs) in the last two seasons (2006 and 2007)

2008 first team All-American by CBS Sports, College Football News, Rivals.com

2008 Champs Sports Bowl MVP in FSU's win over Wisconsin 42 - 13

Gano was signed by the Las Vegas Locomotives of the United Football League after being cut by the Ravens. He has the notoriety of earning the first points for the league after converting a 32-yard field goal, and also currently the longest UFL field goal at 53 yards. He was also responsible for the winning field goal which gave the Locomotives the first ever UFL championship.

This is what I'm confused about. If he is soooo good, why is he still available?

He is a rookie.

Many teams didn't need a kicker coming into the season. Of those that did, many don't believe in drafting them.

The minute the draft was over, Baltimore invited him into camp. He was literally among the first undrafted players to be invited into any camp.

At Baltimore, they decided to stay with the vet, much like we decided to stay with Suisham.

Not only can he boom kickoffs(when was the last time we had a touchback?) but he can also punt if Smith is out again. The kid can launch them.

And he is money in pressure situations.

The FO made a mistake in not scouting him in college, let's not repeat that mistake again.

Why why why why why are they even auditioning Novak? Seriously? Do they think he has all of a sudden learned how to kick in the NFL? If he is signed over Gano, which I guess honestly wouldn't surprise me, then just add that to the list of epic fails associated with this front office we have right now.

I would rather stick with Shanksum than go the Novak route for the 3rd time. Just make it easy and get Gano, Snyderatto.

Why why why why why are they even auditioning Novak? Seriously? Do they think he has all of a sudden learned how to kick in the NFL? If he is signed over Gano, which I guess honestly wouldn't surprise me, then just add that to the list of epic fails associated with this front office we have right now.

I would rather stick with Shanksum than go the Novak route for the 3rd time. Just make it easy and get Gano, Snyderatto.

Agreed. We already know Novak. Please, we have seen the younger guys excel this season. Let's not take a step back.

Gano has other intagibles as well.

He is 6'1, 195 pounds, and very athletic.

He is pretty agile, and can deliver a hit if need be.

He is no little Gramatica brother running around out there.

And due to his ability to punt if we need him to, I have to believe the job is his to lose tomorrow.

I don't think Gano can punt at the NFL level. He takes forever to set up his punts, and that was a similar issue to what our own Brooks faced.

As for his kicking, he was absolutely Mr. Automatic at FSU, especially his senior season. I'd like to see him work out in the NFL, preferably on the Redskins (especially since the Skins are one of the very few teams in the league that don't have a former FSU player), but who really knows. Most kickers bounce around a lot before finding their home, if they find one at all.

He was 1/3 in the preseason for the Ravens, and kicked a few XPs, as well as one 40 yard punt, and since then he's been floating around with a couple try outs here and there, most recently with the Falcons about a week ago.

Now that McD5 has made a thread about him though, he might as well start making plans to fall back on his Criminology degree.

Gano is a damn good kicker I'm surprised he's still up for grabs.

he has a boot, but was terribly inconsistent throughout camp and pre-season... he's young and has all the potential in the world, but if you want consistency wait a week til Matt Stover gets released from the Colts

As for his kicking, he was absolutely Mr. Automatic at FSU, especially his senior season. I'd like to see him work out in the NFL, preferably on the Redskins (especially since the Skins are one of the very few teams in the league that don't have a former FSU player), but who really knows. Most kickers bounce around a lot before finding their home, if they find one at all.

Well, hopefully we won't be asking him to punt too often, barring another rash of hamstring issues.

If we need him to, he can.

And as far as his future goes, Percy Harvin says hi.;)

Sign him up. We found our kicker.

he has a boot, but was terribly inconsistent throughout camp and pre-season... he's young and has all the potential in the world, but if you want consistency wait a week til Matt Stover gets released from the Colts

Gano was just 5 of 7 from over 50 yards. And kicked the winning FG in a championship game as time expired.

That's clutch. Exactly what we want.

Stover doesn't even think about anything over 45 yards.

No thanks.

Gano was just 5 of 7 from over 50 yards. And kicked the winning FG in a championship game as time expired.

That's clutch. Exactly what we want.

Stover doesn't even think about anything over 45 yards.

No thanks.

Its a whole new ballgame once you hit the NFL.

Gano was terribly inconsistent in training camp and didn't look much better in the pre-season. He was cut from the Ravens and wasn't good enough to earn a roster spot for the other teams he tried out for. Those are the facts, that's all I'm saying.

I was hoping Gano won the job in Baltimore, but after watching him struggle mightily, it was pretty evident he didn't deserve it. Again, like I said earlier, I know he has all the potential in the world, but for now, I don't know how much of an upgrade over Suisham he would be. In the long run, sure, but I would hold off on praising him til he actually does something to earn it.

I remember hearing about this kid before the draft and hoping we took a look at him, a physical freak kicker who can crank kickoffs, even if he is only as good as Suishy at FG's at least I wouldn't have to watch another kickoff land at the 20 yard line or go out of bounds.

Sign him Ceratto.

I agree. Bring him in. He could be the answer at kicker long term. If he doesn't pan out, whats the worst he can do, lose us a game (like that matters at this point). He has potential, I say bring him in and see what he can do.

Archived