Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MLB Offseason Thread

StillUnknown

• 4 weeks later...

Nats sign Wang

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4918836

The Washington Nationals have agreed to terms with former New York Yankees right-hander Chien-Ming Wang, according to media reports.

MLB.com and MASNsports.com, the Web site for Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, which broadcasts Nationals games, both reported the agreement, citing sources.

The Nationals are scheduled to hold a news conference Friday at their spring training home in Viera, Fla., according to the reports.

Nationals president Stan Kasten declined comment, according to MLB.com

Wang went 1-6 with a 9.64 ERA in 12 games for the Yankees last summer before undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder. He could make his first rehabilitation start sometime in May.

Wang, 29, won 19 games for the New York Yankees in consecutive seasons (2006 and 2007) before suffering injuries the past two seasons. He is 55-26 for his career, with a 4.16 ERA.

In 2006-07, Wang went a combined 38-13 with a 3.67 ERA for the Yankees.

Wang's sinker was terrible last year. If he can correct it, he should be a really good pick up for the Nats.
Yea I remember his sinker being unhittable before last season. How does someone just lose it like that? Weird but if he can get that pitch back he should do great for the Nats.

Also, SU is right switching to the NL will help him no matter what. In example Javy Vazquez who pitched for my Braves last year had an excellent year with us after a bad year with the White Sox.

his particular injury scares me a bit. if i remember correctly, he got it by simply rounding a base during interleague play
It's possible that he has completely lost it and is done, but it's worth taking a chance - it's not like he is taking someone else's spot in the Nats rotation.

It's possible that he has completely lost it and is done, but it's worth taking a chance - it's not like he is taking someone else's spot in the Nats rotation.

oh i definitely agree, i'm not questioning the signing at all. for what we're paying him, its pretty low risk with a potentially great reward

I can't wait to watch Heyward in Spring Training again this season. He did well last year facing some big league pitchers at only 19-20 years old. If he has another good Spring Training he could very well end up being our starting RF. He is really the power corner outfielder that we need.

I remember how lucky we were to draft him. He would have been the #1 overall pick but he told all the teams that he was going to play baseball for UCLA unless his hometown team the Braves drafted him which ended up happening.

I can't wait to watch Heyward in Spring Training again this season. He did well last year facing some big league pitchers at only 19-20 years old. If he has another good Spring Training he could very well end up being our starting RF. He is really the power corner outfielder that we need.

I remember how lucky we were to draft him. He would have been the #1 overall pick but he told all the teams that he was going to play baseball for UCLA unless his hometown team the Braves drafted him which ended up happening.

Yeah, I can't wait to see this kid either. I really hope he wins the starting job. We could definitely use some more power. I hear he's being compared (hitting-wise) to Ryan Howard. Hopefully he doesn't K as much though.

It's all about Neftali Feliz! :D
Hey you can thank the Braves for him too. :mad: I'm still mad about losing him because we didn't even keep Teixeira.
Yeah, I can't wait to see this kid either. I really hope he wins the starting job. We could definitely use some more power. I hear he's being compared (hitting-wise) to Ryan Howard. Hopefully he doesn't K as much though.
He might develop Ryan Howard like power but that will be a few years of strength training from now. He definitely won't strikeout as much as him because I have read one of his biggest strengths is his plate discipline. Some scouts have said that he has the best plate discipline they have seen from a player his age. That's not even mentioning his fielding ability I watched him last year in spring training jump over the right field wall and rob a home run and throw someone out. The guy is just an all-around beast which is why he is #1 I'm only worried that we might call him up too soon and he turns into another Jeff Francoeur but I doubt it because Francoeur never knew what the term "plate discipline" meant.

Speaking of that trade how is Saltalamacchia doing? Is he getting any starting time? He was blocked by McCann here and we tried to move him to first base so we could use his power but that didn't turn out very well.

Yeah he's been the starter most of the time, but he had some injury problems last season. We also got Elvis Andrus in the deal, and that kid was a stud at SS. Shoulda won rookie of the year.

Yeah he's been the starter most of the time, but he had some injury problems last season. We also got Elvis Andrus in the deal, and that kid was a stud at SS. Shoulda won rookie of the year.
Your right I forgot about Andrus as well. Although he would have been blocked by Yunel Escobar. Man we really unloaded the top of our farm for nothing. :doh:

Lol he got beat by Andrew Bailey :pfft:

First spring training game in only 5 days!

Archived