Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MLB Offseason Thread

StillUnknown

HOF annoucement coming up.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hof10/news/story?id=4800820&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Andre Dawson has been waiting for years. For Roberto Alomar, it was the first time on the ballot.

Players get nervous on the day each year that the Baseball Writers' Association of America announces voting for the sport's highest honor: the Hall of Fame.

"I'm positive that it's going to happen this year," Alomar said Tuesday, a day before this year's totals were to be announced by the BBWAA.

Good luck Robbie.

I like Alomar, but I don't think he's a first ballot guy. I think first ballot should be for the best of the best. Ripken, Gwynn, Henderson, etc. Alomar should get it, just not this year.

he had pretty good numbers for a 2nd baseman and he was arguably the best defensive 2nd basemen ever

i think he's worthy of the first ballot

Bly missed it by like 5 votes. The guy may have a low win total but in this age of sabermetric thought how much do wins matter anyways? Pitchers are assessed by statistics now and a win is no longer a viable individual statistic in the eyes of sabermetricians.

The point is Bly (and I'm going to abbreviate because it's a ***** to spell his name) had whopping statistical numbers which did not involve wins. I expect him to be inducted next year. And Marvin Miller. How dude is still not in the HOF is just perplexing.

I like Alomar, but I don't think he's a first ballot guy. I think first ballot should be for the best of the best. Ripken, Gwynn, Henderson, etc. Alomar should get it, just not this year.

Have you looked at Alomar's career.

Let's see...where to begin...

-----------

10 Gold Gloves (most ever for a 2B)

4 Silver Sluggers (second most ever for a 2B)

12 Time All Star (1990-2001)

Batted over .300 9 seasons

OBP over .400 5 seasons

40th all time in steals

2,700 hits

1,000 RBI

Career average of .300%

1992 ALCS MVP

2 time World Series champion

--------------

He's first ballot no question. Now part of this is biased as I grew up a 90's Indians fan but the numbers speak for themselves.

I am happy for Dawson. He is one of my favorite all time Cubs, but i really did not think he would get in. It's well deserved, but his numbers aren't as impressive as some of the greats. He is a good guy, so i think that helped. I loved the look he had in the batters box. He had a very intimidating stare. A very determined player.

Have you looked at Alomar's career.

Let's see...where to begin...

He's first ballot no question. Now part of this is biased as I grew up a 90's Indians fan but the numbers speak for themselves.

Looks like I was right. He'll definitely get in next year. His spitting in the face of the ump is probably what did it for most people.

Global World Series? http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4803999

The United States and Japanese baseball champions could meet in a Global World Series, Japanese daily Nikkan Sports reported Thursday.

Nippon Professional Baseball commissioner Ryozo Kato was quoted as saying his Major League Baseball counterpart, Bud Selig, had agreed the winners of the two countries' professional leagues should play each other.

Seems like a cool idea. I do have some questions though.

1. What does that mean the World Series will be called? Its been the World Series for over 100 years now.

2. Where will the teams play? Its hard enough traveling from one end of the US to the other. Now it will be to the other end of the world.

3. What time would these games take place? There is a big time difference between the 2 countries. How would that work for TV schedule and would people stay up late/get up early to watch these games?

I hate the Rangers a lot.

But you got to give them credit this offseason for making some moves. The biggest move being a rumor that Vlad Guerrero is going to Texas. If true this helps them and shuts me up about calling them the 3rd best team in the AL West. I'm still not convinced about the rotation (Haren is an upgrade over Millwood though, Don't know about Holland, too small a sample size to fawn over dude) but they are *clenches teeth* a fine young ball club with a lot of potential and now that the Angels are falling apart Rangers might win West

:(

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/news/story?id=4812099&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

The Texas Rangers have agreed to terms with Vladimir Guerrero on a one-year deal with a mutual option for a second year, according to sources.

Guerrero is guaranteed $6 million in the deal, which is pending a physical. It includes $5 million plus performance incentives for 2010 and a $1 million buyout if the Rangers don't pick up the option, a source said.

McGwire admits steroid use...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4816607

Mark McGwire finally came clean Monday, admitting he used steroids when he broke baseball's home run record in 1998.

McGwire said in a statement sent to The Associated Press on Monday that he used steroids on and off for nearly a decade.

"I wish I had never touched steroids," McGwire said in a statement. "It was foolish and it was a mistake. I truly apologize. Looking back, I wish I had never played during the steroid era."

Archived