Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Portis ruled OUT vs. Cowboys (Hayneswort game time decision)

RIPSean

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4671799

Portis ruled out vs. Cowboys

Associated Press

ASHBURN, Va. -- Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis will miss his second straight game as he recovers from a concussion.

NFC East blog

ESPN.com's Matt Mosley writes about all things NFC East in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Coach Jim Zorn on Thursday ruled Portis out for Sunday's game at Dallas.

Portis has not been able to practice since he was injured in a helmet-to-helmet hit against the Atlanta Falcons.

Ladell Betts is set to start for Portis for the second consecutive week.

Zorn says defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth remains a game-time decision with a sprained left ankle. The coach says Haynesworth is "coming along" and that the ankle's swelling is starting to go down.

Wow, Portis must really be done. He actually is one of the few Redskins who has that animosity towards Dallas, and he's so close to our rushing record.

He's also recovering from a brain injury and isn't even 30 years old yet...I don't think this has anything to do with the step or two that's he's lost.

Not a Portis fan, but I think we need to cut him some slack on this one!

He's also recovering from a brain injury and isn't even 30 years old yet...I don't think this has anything to do with the step or two that's he's lost.

Not a Portis fan, but I think we need to cut him some slack on this one!

I hope that you didn't mistake my post as a criticism on Portis; I meant that the injury must really be THAT severe for him to sit out.

And while I'm not a Portis fan anymore, I'm extremely proud of what he's done for the Redskins for the past six years.

I hope that you didn't mistake my post as a criticism on Portis; I meant that the injury must really be THAT severe for him to sit out.

And while I'm not a Portis fan anymore, I'm extremely proud of what he's done for the Redskins for the past six years.

I sure did misinterpret it...my mistake! I agree 100% with your sentiments.

I sure did misinterpret it...my mistake! I agree 100% with your sentiments.

It frustrates me that so many of our true Redskins players are getting pretty severe injuries in such a worthless year. Samuels is (if he's smart) done for his career. Portis has a ridiculous concussion. What next?

And does anyone here know how often concussions take someone out for two, three if you count the game wherein the concussion occurred, weeks?

It frustrates me that so many of our true Redskins players are getting pretty severe injuries in such a worthless year. Samuels is (if he's smart) done for his career. Portis has a ridiculous concussion. What next?

And does anyone here know how often concussions take someone out for two, three if you count the game wherein the concussion occurred, weeks?

I'm with you. I'm to the point where I'd rather see those guys retire and preserve their post-NFL lives to be honest.

As for the concussions, I think this is becoming more common which is a good thing. If you think about it, no one should be playing a sport as violent as football 7 days after suffering a brain injury. This is one of the many positives in today's NFL...a more concerted effort to understand and treat serious injuries (concussions, neck/spinal injuries, etc.).

I'm with you. I'm to the point where I'd rather see those guys retire and preserve their post-NFL lives to be honest.

As for the concussions, I think this is becoming more common which is a good thing. If you think about it, no one should be playing a sport as violent as football 7 days after suffering a brain injury. This is one of the many positives in today's NFL...a more concerted effort to understand and treat serious injuries (concussions, neck/spinal injuries, etc.).

Absolutely, and I'm glad that it's being taken more seriously. However, I'm no doctor, so I don't know if the number of games he's sitting out is indicative of the severity of his injury.

I also don't know how honest/aware the Redskins are about this, either. Remember when Samuels's injury was just a mental block? :doh: Vinny

Absolutely, and I'm glad that it's being taken more seriously. However, I'm no doctor, so I don't know if the number of games he's sitting out is indicative of the severity of his injury.

I also don't know how honest/aware the Redskins are about this, either. Remember when Samuels's injury was just a mental block? :doh: Vinny

That's certainly a concern...those comments by Vinny were jaw-dropping (unless he just did a horrible job of communicating what he meant).

As for the severity of CP's concussion...I think it's safe to say that it's either a severe concussion, or it's a situation where they are being extra cautious (like Philly was with Westbrook a couple weeks ago).

According to the injury report released this afternoon, CP is doubtful.

But, if you listen to Zorn's quote also released this afternoon, you can conclude CP is out.

On whether Clinton Portis will play on Sunday:

“He is very, very, very doubtful. Clinton [Portis] is going to continued to be monitored, he is going to continued to be checked, but we are not going to play him this week. It’s just a little bit blurry. It is just foggy enough for me to not trust. I want to see him practice and I want to see him have those days where he practices and doesn’t have any residual problems or anything like that. Right now he can’t even practice, so we will keep him out this week.”

http://extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=308894

Hope CP gets well.

Also think this will be a good opportunity to see the "newly tooled" run game featureing Levi Jones, Betts, Rock, and the inside running plays - against a better defense.

If we get a similar performance, we can probably conclude that last week wasn't a fluke and we need to stick with what isn't broken.

Hope CP gets well.

Also think this will be a good opportunity to see the "newly tooled" run game featureing Levi Jones, Betts, Rock, and the inside running plays - against a better defense.

If we get a similar performance, we can probably conclude that last week wasn't a fluke and we need to stick with what isn't broken.

100% agreed

I'm not glad Portis has to stay out but I'm glad Betts and Cartwright will get the bulk of the work. They proved they can run and gain yardage and they should be given another opportunity this Sunday. Portis hasn't looked well this whole year except for one extra long run.

The newly tooled Oline and Betts/Cartwright etc. will be tested Sunday against a much more formidable pass rush/Defense from the Boys. If they can do against them what they did to the Broncos we'll learn a little more and props due. I've heard reports that Dallas is better but similar to the Broncos in speedy guys not big guys and we may have a decent chance running the ball similarly...the problem comes with pass protection and if Jason can get his head out of his arse long enough to make some good plays.

The newly tooled Oline and Betts/Cartwright etc. will be tested Sunday against a much more formidable pass rush/Defense from the Boys. If they can do against them what they did to the Broncos we'll learn a little more and props due. I've heard reports that Dallas is better but similar to the Broncos in speedy guys not big guys and we may have a decent chance running the ball similarly...the problem comes with pass protection and if Jason can get his head out of his arse long enough to make some good plays.

I agree

Wow, Portis must really be done. He actually is one of the few Redskins who has that animosity towards Dallas, and he's so close to our rushing record.

I hope he doesn't get a concussion from over-zealous cheering against the Pukes on Sunday! :silly:

I think it's a shame he won't be able to suit up and play, but I also think it's best to be safe, and that Betts did well for us last week. I get the feeling CP will be back in another week.

The match-up that worries me is Ratliff on Rabach. That big SOB is going to be in the backfield alot on sunday.

----

Also, on CP...I'm glad he's not participating and I think that they will be even more cautious after seeing Brian Westbrook go back down two weeks after his concussion.

“He is very, very, very doubtful. Clinton [Portis] is going to continued to be monitored, he is going to continued to be checked, but we are not going to play him this week. It’s just a little bit blurry. It is just foggy enough for me to not trust. I want to see him practice and I want to see him have those days where he practices and doesn’t have any residual problems or anything like that. Right now he can’t even practice, so we will keep him out this week.”

Sounds like he's describing the physical condition of Portis post-concussion.

It's amazing how much a concussion can mess you up. I had a teammate go down from a helmet-to-helmet. He was out for about 1 minute. He didn't know what year it was or his mother's name when he came to. And honestly he was never the same person after that - his personality took a noticeable turn for the worse.

I'm glad they're being cautious with CP - it's the right thing to do.

The match-up that worries me is Ratliff on Rabach. That big SOB is going to be in the backfield alot on sunday.

----

Also, on CP...I'm glad he's not participating and I think that they will be even more cautious after seeing Brian Westbrook go back down two weeks after his concussion.

yeah i agree,those concussions are no joke...Cp should sit out against Philly too! Take his time to come back,get healthy

Archived