Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuters: First U.S. marijuana cafe opens in Portland

Destino

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSTRE5AD06O20091114?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews

PORTLAND, Oregon (Reuters) - The United States' first marijuana cafe opened on Friday, posing an early test of the Obama administration's move to relax policing of medical use of the drug.

The Cannabis Cafe in Portland, Oregon, is the first to give certified medical marijuana users a place to get hold of the drug and smoke it -- as long as they are out of public view -- despite a federal ban.

"This club represents personal freedom, finally, for our members," said Madeline Martinez, Oregon's executive director of NORML, a group pushing for marijuana legalization.

"Our plans go beyond serving food and marijuana," said Martinez. "We hope to have classes, seminars, even a Cannabis Community College, based here to help people learn about growing and other uses for cannabis."

If it's for medical use only, how is it that a "budtender" at a coffee shop is authorized to distribute it, and not a Pharmacist ?

Maybe they want to avoid certain pharmacists' collective stance on the "It contradicts my personal beliefs and therefore I refuse to do my job" issue.

;)

Gee, never would have predicted this coming after an administration openly announces they are not going to enforce a federal law they don't see as necessary.

MJAH - You're quick to place the blame on pharmacists for not "doing their job" because of personal beliefs. Yet I hear nothing from you about the head of our government openly announcing they aren't going to do their "job" because it's something they don't feel is necessary.

Pharmacies generally can't sell marijuana due to federal laws.

That might change in the coming years.

Then how are the "medicinal use only" sales regulated ?

Do you bring in a prescription to the bud-tender ?

And how are bud-tenders made to qualify, to prevent them from abusing the system, and distributing it to non-medicinal patrons ?

Can any Joe Schmoe become a bud-tender ?

And how do they keep "any Joe Schmoe" from walking in and buying a membership for free pot ?

Gee, never would have predicted this coming after an administration openly announces they are not going to enforce a federal law they don't see as necessary.

MJAH - You're quick to place the blame on pharmacists for not "doing their job" because of personal beliefs. Yet I hear nothing from you about the head of our government openly announcing they aren't going to do their "job" because it's something they don't feel is necessary.

Maybe I mistaken, but don't you usually take the position that the federal government has too much power and is wasteful? I would think a move that gives states more power, limits the fed govt, and saves money would be welcomed by a small government conservative. :whoknows:

Maybe I mistaken, but don't you usually take the position that the federal government has too much power and is wasteful? I would think a move that gives states more power, limits the fed govt, and saves money would be welcomed by a small government conservative. :whoknows:

But in this case big government is ok. Because they're putting people in jail for smoking evil mari-ju-ana. Drugs are bad, mkay.

Way to go Oregon. Too bad I'm not smoking at the moment or I would be there, I got a few friends up there.

This isn't that big of a deal though. I can still go legally buy some amazing kush at a shop down the street and smoke it at my house. Not that big of a difference.

You're right, I actually always take the position that smaller is better in terms of government. I even think that in the case of marijuana in general, I definitely think it should be decriminalized by the federal government and left up to individual states to decide.

However, with federal law as it currently is, I think it is irresponsible to publicly come out and just say "well, we don't think this federal law is a priority, so we just aren't going to enforce it." If something is still a law, I don't think the head of our government should just publicly announce that they are just going to disregard a law.

That's my main issue here. Basically, don't come out and publicly announce you are just going to disregard a current law. Work to change that current law, and maybe behind the scenes, decide that you are not allocating as many resources to that particular area of crime because it is not an administrative priority, but don't just come out and publicly announce it.

Finally, I have several good friends who are pharmacists and I do take issue with someone saying they aren't doing their job by potentially not doling out a prescription they take issue with, yet don't hold the flip side accountable either.

But in this case big government is ok. Because they're putting people in jail for smoking evil mari-ju-ana. Drugs are bad, mkay.

That is not at all what I said, or even what can be reasonably deduced from what I said.

I do not think marijuana is "evil" and I don't think putting it in your body determines the moral standing of an individual. A lot of prescription medication is way more dangerous than MJ.

Then how are the "medicinal use only" sales regulated ?
Don't know. Depends on the local laws, I suppose.
Do you bring in a prescription to the bud-tender ?
No. You need to get a registration card from the state or local county to legally buy medical marijuana in most places.

There is no prescriptions to the marijuana dispensers because they are not pharmacies. Legit pharmacies cannot sell marijuana due to whatever federal guidelines they are under. That's why states have to allow the bud-tenders if they allow medical marijuana. Otherwise you are just increasing the black market.

Again though, this might change in the future. A legit pharmacy would never risk their business to sell medical marijuana with the feds able to close them down whenever they want to.

And how are bud-tenders made to qualify, to prevent them from abusing the system, and distributing it to non-medicinal patrons ?
What's the stop a liquor store from selling alcohol to anyone they want? You have to have a card to buy medical marijuana. This is the job of the local law enforcement. No longer the job of the FBI or DEA.
Can any Joe Schmoe become a bud-tender ?
I have no idea, but I assume so within reason.
And how do they keep "any Joe Schmoe" from walking in and buying a membership for free pot ?
Don't know.

I suppose they can investigate doctors who provide marijuana prescriptions.

I think this is ridiculous...legalizing marijuana is just a means or a step to having people get addicted to marijuana and carry on to harder drugs...I think this is a bad idea

You're right. I smoked marijuana for the first time more than ten years ago. Now I'm addicted to free basing battery acid and snorting ground up baby teeth.

I think this is ridiculous...legalizing marijuana is just a means or a step to having people get addicted to marijuana and carry on to harder drugs...I think this is a bad idea

Marijuana is significantly less addictive than alcohol and nicotine. Many will say that it is far less harmful than alcohol or tobacco and I'd agree.

MJ is also no more of a "gateway" drug than things like alcohol, cigarettes, and arguably even caffeine.

THC is actually highly addictive...I agree about alcohol and nicotine as you said as being addictive substances that can be gateway drugs. I think the issue isn't the addiction to marijuana I think it is the environment and situation of the individual using the drugs and the friends they are around. I think when they say it is a gateway drug it is because if they are willing to sample with that type of drug what is stopping them from trying harder drugs. I totally see what you are saying RIPSean about alcohol and nicotine. Alcohol is actually probably worse than marijuana like you said.

Archived