Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL most sacks allowed (Redskins Related)

bsmith1991

Wow!!! Pretty interesting stuff there. I know its all subjective to that particular viewer but its really painfully obvious to see how bad the line really is. If you sort the list by team, its a little easier to read. Its crazy how little time JC has to throw. This particular viewer has 21 of JC's 25 sacks on protection issues. Not to mention that in most of the sacks JC has had far less than 3 seconds to throw the ball. 2.6 to be exact.

Wow!!! Pretty interesting stuff there. I know its all subjective to that particular viewer but its really painfully obvious to see how bad the line really is. If you sort the list by team, its a little easier to read. Its crazy how little time JC has to throw. This particular viewer has 21 of JC's 25 sacks on protection issues. Not to mention that in most of the sacks JC has had far less than 3 seconds to throw the ball. 2.6 to be exact.

and if you take Samuels out of that the average drops

We all know the line is bad. The whole league knows this and has circled the skins on their schedule and penciled in a W next to it. What kills me is that the coaching staff as a whole, including the new consultant or OC or whatever his real title is, has not changed their play calling at all to slow down the blitz. Philly has changed their play calling. Against Dallas we saw a lot of quick slants, screens etc to take advantage of the area cleared out by the blitzers. Green Bay has done the same. What gets called by the skins? 7 step drops and slow to develop plays. I know someone will try and bust me up over those two teams losing, but they are playing better and more competitive football than the redskins. If they are going to blitz every play then take advantage of it. Call some plays to slow it down. Get in the D-lines head that maybe they need to keep an eye on the ball when they rush to see what is going on vs blindly charging into the backfield.

We all know the line is bad. The whole league knows this and has circled the skins on their schedule and penciled in a W next to it. What kills me is that the coaching staff as a whole, including the new consultant or OC or whatever his real title is, has not changed their play calling at all to slow down the blitz. Philly has changed their play calling. Against Dallas we saw a lot of quick slants, screens etc to take advantage of the area cleared out by the blitzers. Green Bay has done the same. What gets called by the skins? 7 step drops and slow to develop plays. I know someone will try and bust me up over those two teams losing, but they are playing better and more competitive football than the redskins. If they are going to blitz every play then take advantage of it. Call some plays to slow it down. Get in the D-lines head that maybe they need to keep an eye on the ball when they rush to see what is going on vs blindly charging into the backfield.

I hrea that. Heck... even some bootlegs.

boo hoo, i'm jason campbell, and I only have 2.6 seconds to throw and over 90% of my sacks are my O-lines fault.

I'm sure some genious out there will somehow spin this back to how he is dumb, slow, gutless, and my favorite - has no heart.

I mean, if these numbers are even remotely close no QB could be successuful here.

Now, add these stats and add the fact that his Head Coach, QB Coach, and primary play caller all suck ... well, that my friends is a recipe for success!

WOW! Those stats are telling. Look at the percentage of times JC is hit to when he gets sacked...by far the highest in the league. In other words, he's getting time, but if he gets hit, he goes down far more often than not.

May also suggest that JC is not throwing the ball away when he should. Throw it away, and take the hit, not the sack.

I'm sure some genious out there will somehow spin this back to how he is dumb, slow, gutless, and my favorite - has no heart.

I'll give it a try.

Those numbers represent 25 plays out of 228 pass attempts. Nobody would fault Jason for getting sacked in 2.6 seconds, but how many times have you watched him pull down the ball, be late with throws, and totally not see wide open receivers the other 203 times?

Believe what your eyes tell you, he's not good! By comparison, two of the three other QBs with similar sack numbers are Big Ben (23) and Aaron Rodgers (37), who seem to play pretty well despite their lack of time.

And for the record I neither think that Campbell is "dumb" or "gutless" as you said. He just doesn't play the QB position very well.

I mean, if these numbers are even remotely close no QB could be successuful here.

When JC has gotten sacked he has had roughly 2.69 seconds to throw the ball on average. Aaron Rodgers, on the other hand, has had roughly 2.80 seconds to throw the ball when he's been sacked. One of these players has a 103.3 passer rating and 16 TDs to only 5 INTs. The other has an 86.5 rating and 9 TDs to 8 INTs.

It's pretty clear that the oline isn't the only reason JC is struggling...

Now, add these stats and add the fact that his Head Coach, QB Coach, and primary play caller all suck ... well, that my friends is a recipe for success!

... although you are warmer here.

WOW! Those stats are telling. Look at the percentage of times JC is hit to when he gets sacked...by far the highest in the league. In other words, he's getting time, but if he gets hit, he goes down far more often than not.

May also suggest that JC is not throwing the ball away when he should. Throw it away, and take the hit, not the sack.

Campbell is "getting time"?...How does that link show that JC is getting enough time? You must not have really looked at the link in the OP, because it shows him getting something like 2.6 seconds on average per sack.

What does getting hit 35 times while only being given 2.6 seconds per sack really tell us about a QB's play?

I happen to think Sherm Lewis has called plays to neutralize the mismatches on the O-Line. The first play of the Philly game was a bootleg to Cooley for 15yds and he called several bootlegs and screens in the Atlanta game. The problem is our o-Line is so sorry that they cant even execute when the plays cater to their strengths. Campbell got sacked several times on three and four man rushes by the Falcons last week. Mike Sellers wiffed on one of them too. Our team did not work on fundamentals in training camp and if they did our coached arnt good evaluators of talent. We cant even tackle nor block when the scheme puts us in perfect position to make plays.

Campbell is "getting time"?...How does that link show that JC is getting enough time? You must not have really looked at the link in the OP, because it shows him getting something like 2.6 seconds on average per sack.

What does getting hit 35 times while only being given 2.6 seconds per sack really tell us about a QB's play?

hes actually right. 35 hits is not bad. middle of the nfl statistically and right around the same as guys like Romo sits to pee, flacco, big ben, rivers, and brady. you should expect sacks to be under 3 seconds. thats usually why they are sacks. there are really 2 statistics that stick out in my mind here that are most telling. first is Heyers 6.5 sacks against. for being only halfway through the season, that is awful. The other is what Long N Left is referring to which is only 35 hits in 228 drop backs. Thats what he means by getting time. Although we give up way too many sacks, Campbell isnt exactly good at avoiding them or getting rid of the ball at a high percentage.

When JC has gotten sacked he has had roughly 2.69 seconds to throw the ball on average. Aaron Rodgers, on the other hand, has had roughly 2.80 seconds to throw the ball when he's been sacked. One of these players has a 103.3 passer rating and 16 TDs to only 5 INTs. The other has an 86.5 rating and 9 TDs to 8 INTs.

It's pretty clear that the oline isn't the only reason JC is struggling...

Interesting thing happened in Green Bay's game last weekend. They scored a TD on a drive in which Rodgers was sacked. That was interesting because it was the first time this year that has happened. In other words, Rodgers can't get his team into the end zone any time he is sacked even once on a drive. (The one sack last week occured when the Packers were already inside the TB 10, btw).

This would seem to indicate that Rodgers is not, in fact, overcoming his line play, but rather performs only on drives where the line gives him time.

Interesting thing happened in Green Bay's game last weekend. They scored a TD on a drive in which Rodgers was sacked. That was interesting because it was the first time this year that has happened. In other words, Rodgers can't get his team into the end zone any time he is sacked even once on a drive. (The one sack last week occured when the Packers were already inside the TB 10, btw).

This would seem to indicate that Rodgers is not, in fact, overcoming his line play, but rather performs only on drives where the line gives him time.

Which would bring us back to Campbell and the 203 plays when he wasn't sacked. No comparison.

What gets called by the skins? 7 step drops and slow to develop plays. I know someone will try and bust me up over those two teams losing, but they are playing better and more competitive football than the redskins. If they are going to blitz every play then take advantage of it. Call some plays to slow it down. Get in the D-lines head that maybe they need to keep an eye on the ball when they rush to see what is going on vs blindly charging into the backfield.

How many 7 step drops do we really call? Since our OL started getting banged up I can't remember seeing one. We run almost exclusively 3 step drops because our coaches know Jason will be on his back by the time he hits #4. I'm not defending the play calling because it hasn't been great but I think you're mistaken regarding out "7 step drops and slow to develop plays."

hes actually right. 35 hits is not bad. middle of the nfl statistically and right around the same as guys like Romo sits to pee, flacco, big ben, rivers, and brady. you should expect sacks to be under 3 seconds. thats usually why they are sacks. there are really 2 statistics that stick out in my mind here that are most telling. first is Heyers 6.5 sacks against. for being only halfway through the season, that is awful. The other is what Long N Left is referring to which is only 35 hits in 228 drop backs. Thats what he means by getting time. Although we give up way too many sacks, Campbell isnt exactly good at avoiding them or getting rid of the ball at a high percentage.

But his conclusion was that JC is getting enough time to even throw the ball away, but is instead taking the sack. And he reached that conclusion simply from the fact that JC doesn't get hit as often as you would think considering the state of our OLine. My response was that it's obvious that WHEN Campbell gets sacked, it's due almost solely to barely having enough time to drop back...the fact that he doesn't get hit as much as you'd expect can be chalked up to numerous things, not just that he "gets enough time". Unfortunately these tables don't show a stat for the amount of time it takes the QBs to release the ball on those plays that do not result in sacks.

Simply put, if your OLine is only allowing 2.6 seconds per sack, it's probably not giving very much time on those snaps where you do not get sacked, either. A QB who gets hit a ton but rarely gets sacked would be one who I would think holds the ball too long and doesn't throw it away...

This should end the argument that Jason is holding the ball too long, or that he has enough time to get rid of the ball. Unfortunately, it probably won't. They'll just say "when he has time, he still sucks" or something along those lines even though his stats indicate otherwise.

Which would bring us back to Campbell and the 203 plays when he wasn't sacked. No comparison.

No, it would not bring us back to that. The point isn't about how many plays the QBs aren't sacked on. It's about the fact that Rodgers seems to be performing only on drives where his line performs well (to an extent, anyway). Lines are like any other unit, they can perform well for a while, and then poorly for a while. That stat certainly makes it seem possible that Rodgers is performing mostly when his line is playing well, and not "overcoming bad line play" as so many people here keep suggesting.

Archived