Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WPC: Firing time

JimmiJo

There is no accountability. No one has been cut, no one has been fired. About the only demotion that occurred was Horton giving up some snaps to Reed (but still playing a lot). The other demotion was Kelly, whom i think was injured (very painful hand IIRC).

A token head rolling a few weeks back may have salvaged the season. As it is by not acting, we reward failure.

In trying to think back to the days of JKC, I don't recall ever reading that he was part of the decision making process in determining what was best for the team. At least under Gibbs (and under George Allen as well), it was JG who went to JKC to sell the decision on what it was they wanted to do. Ultimately, it was left to JKC to say 'Yay or Nay' on the deal. As I recall, this was mostly around the signing of high dollar free agent contracts (Riggo, Butz, etc.) But, in no way did JKC get involved in the day to day dealings of the team or try to determine what player(s) were needed.

Riggins and Butz were at least two players who negotiated their contracts, one on one, with Cooke.

Cooke also was the final word on any dispute between coach and GM.

Cooke hired Ritchie Petitbon as DC, not Gibbs.

Riggins and Butz were at least two players who negotiated their contracts, one on one, with Cooke.

Cooke put his foot down before the 87 season and would not allow Doug Williams to be traded. He said "tell (the other team) that Doug Williams is too valuable." He got involved plenty.

But I don't believe it was JKC who approached Riggins & Butz and then told Gibbs/Beathard he was bringing them in. It was JG and/or Beathard who went with JKC with the names and JKC negotiated the dollars.

True, but didn't this ultimately cause the departure of Beathard?

I didn't know that. So did JKC recruit & sign Petibon and force JG to add him to the staff?

Cooke put his foot down before the 87 season and would not allow Doug Williams to be traded. He said "tell (the other team) that Doug Williams is too valuable." He got involved plenty.

Well, when Dan refuses to trade the player that becomes the Super Bowl MVP the following season, I'll give him credit it.

But I don't believe it was JKC who approached Riggins & Butz and then told Gibbs/Beathard he was bringing them in. It was JG and/or Beathard who went with JKC with the names and JKC negotiated the dollars.

Not sure how exactly things went. But what we believe, doesn't matter. My point was that Cooke was involved, directly, in player negotiations. Butz and Riggins refused to deal with the GM, and Cooke never said, "He's in charge, so you have to."

True, but didn't this ultimately cause the departure of Beathard?

Yes. It was Joe wanting to keep his veterans vs Beathard wanting not to. Cooke chose Gibbs, Beathard said buh-bye.

I didn't know that. So did JKC recruit & sign Petibon and force JG to add him to the staff?

If I remember correctly, Petitbon was in place before Gibbs was hired

Nice recap...and I'd find it hard to believe that ALL of these stories were just made up.

And for the point listed above, ouch. Another example of the FO thinking that all the problems this year fall on Zorn.

Thanks, I went back and listened to it again this morning. For whatever reason my computer doesn't let me do a direct link to that show.

if you want to go through the trouble, first go to: http://www.espn980.com/audiovault/

then click on the John Thompson show -- then you are going to see a category called Redskins vault, click on it scroll down and you'll find: April 25 -- Doc Walker with Snyder/Cerrato/Zorn Part 2 -- that's where you hear it

Snyder's statements includes calling Chris Samuels a "young" offensive lineman and feels very comfortable going into the season with him. Casey Rabach he says is outstanding and is "only" 31. Dockery is "a heck of a player". Snyder doesn't apparently know Randy Thomas' age, he said he's still only 30 or 31 (he's 33 and will shortly be 34). And he hints about being excited about Mike Williams. So average players to the rest of the league like Dockery and Rabach are "outstanding". And injury prone 30 something players are "young".

Snyder's statements includes calling Chris Samuels a "young" offensive lineman and feels very comfortable going into the season with him. Casey Rabach he says is outstanding and is "only" 31. Dockery is "a heck of a player". Snyder doesn't apparently know Randy Thomas' age, he said he's still only 30 or 31 (he's 33 and will shortly be 34). And he hints about being excited about Mike Williams. So average players to the rest of the league like Dockery and Rabach are "outstanding". And injury prone 30 something players are "young".

When I'm listening to Dan or Vinny, I get the feeling I'm listening to a political campaign. Just say what you want them to hear, promise that things will be better, ignore the failures, and blame any problems on those that aren't in the room.

When I'm listening to Dan or Vinny, I get the feeling I'm listening to a political campaign. Just say what you want them to hear, promise that things will be better, ignore the failures, and blame any problems on those that aren't in the room.

Good analogy, ironically political campaigns is how I make my living, but yeah I agree -- they are trying to sell you. Right now the sell is mainly coming from Vinny "its not me that's the problem" but Zorn.

+1...I like to believe though that the fanbase is seeing this clearly now and saying, "We ain't falling for that crap again!"

Archived