Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stone Crab Claws in NOVA

HOF44

Dungeoness crab legs are pretty damn good too if you can find them.. we used to got CBSH back in the day and had contests to see who could eat the most crab legs LOL good times!

snow crabs are much better tasting then both. God do I miss the Chesapeake Bay seafood house. I must have eaten 2,000 lbs of snow crabs

there. :hungry:

I am confused my favorite crab is King Crab the crab that has the spikes everywhere and is huge. Now I see pictures of the Stone Crab and do some research and it says Stone Crab also called King Crab but that doesn't look anything like the King Crab I know of WHATS THE DEAL??

I am confused my favorite crab is King Crab the crab that has the spikes everywhere and is huge. Now I see pictures of the Stone Crab and do some research and it says Stone Crab also called King Crab but that doesn't look anything like the King Crab I know of WHATS THE DEAL??

Huh, never heard of Stone Crabs being called King Crabs. The only other name I know that they go by is Jonah Crabs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_crab

King crabs, also called stone crabs, are a family of crab-like decapod crustaceans chiefly found in cold seas. Because of their large size and the taste of their flesh, many species are widely caught and sold as food, the most common being the red king crab (Paralithodes camtschaticus

Wikipedia also I read something like that some where else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_crab

King crabs, also called stone crabs, are a family of crab-like decapod crustaceans chiefly found in cold seas. Because of their large size and the taste of their flesh, many species are widely caught and sold as food, the most common being the red king crab (Paralithodes camtschaticus

Wikipedia also I read something like that some where else.

sometimes wiki is just wrong, this is one of them. Or "stone" is a localism in two very different parts of the world.

Huh, never heard of Stone Crabs being called King Crabs. The only other name I know that they go by is Jonah Crabs.

My dear friend Google tells me that the Jonah crab is essentially the east coast version of the Dungeness crab (different but closely related species). It's definitely not stone crab, although it is apparently a cheap substitute for it because claw size is similar.

I have never had stone crab? My fav crab is the King Crab legs its a ton of meat in those legs expensive though but they are GREAT!!! Blue crab is very good also but is a pain in the ass to eat too much picking trough it you have to eat at least 10 crabs to get full thats if they are a decent size.

Think I'm going to have to check this out. I love blue crab myself, but haven't had stone crab claws.

you'll never be the same.

Alot of people don't realise you don't eat the whole crab. Just the claw. You catch them and break the claw off and chuck the crab back. It's a self sustaining industry. It's wonderful.

Alot of people don't realise you don't eat the whole crab. Just the claw. You catch them and break the claw off and chuck the crab back. It's a self sustaining industry. It's wonderful.

He speaks the truth, my 1st (and sadly only) time I had these were at the DDP this past year. I have went online to order them several times since then but the price is outrageous!

Rich, what was the dipping sauce you had with them??

You told me about harvesting the claws at the DDP and I remembered!!!

Yeah Capt. I'm going to check out the place that SS recommended. Looks like a new spot I'll be coming quite acquainted with.

Archived