Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Schefter: "Miles Austin legitamate Pro Bowl candidate" PUULEEEZZZEE!

KevinthePRF

You gotta be kidding me, here's his quote from the article:

"In many ways, these two teams that square off Sunday shared one similarity this offseason. Dallas demanded more out of its wide receivers; Philadelphia questioned its own: And now, to the surprise of many, Dallas' Miles Austin and Philadelphia's DeSean Jackson have emerged as two of football's top wideouts and legitimate candidates to represent their teams at the Pro Bowl.

The last time a Cowboys and Eagles wide receiver went to the Pro Bowl in the same season -- and this is a great trivia question that surely would stump football's smartest historians -- was 17 years ago, in 1992, when Dallas' Michael Irvin and Philadelphia's Fred Barnett were selected. Before that, Dallas' Tony Hill and Philadelphia's Mike Quick each were voted to the Pro Bowl in 1985. But now, the Cowboys and Eagles each have the type of weapon that they haven't had since Terrell Owens, who has played for both franchises."

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=schefter_adam&id=4623504

So I guess all you need is a couple of long plays against some pushover teams and you are instantly a top WR Adam?

Strangely enough Schefter didn't mention the other NFC East WR who is LEADING THE LEAGUE in receptions, Steve Smith of the Giants.

Anyway here's my list of ten WRs I'd put in the Pro Bowl before Austin:

1. Larry Fitzgerald

2. Steve Smith (Giants)

3. Marques Colston

4. Anquan Boldin

5. Desean Jackson (for special teams too)

6. Roddy White

7. Donald Driver and/or Greg Jennings

8. TJ Houshmanzadah

9. Steve Smith (Carolina)

10. Sidney Rice

Austin is on pace for like 55 catches this year. Wow.

10th in the league in receiving yards (563), 2nd in the league in TDs (6), leads the league in yards per reception (21.7), leads the league in catches of 20+ yards (10).

At this very second, how in the world could he not be a Pro Bowler? A ton can change from now until December, but at this point, he would CERTAINLY be a pro bowler.

I've got no problem with it. I'm skeptical that Austin will continue producing the way he has for the past three weeks, no doubt. But there's no question that if he continues playing like this, or even, for that matter, if he approaches production like this for the rest of the season, that he'd have to warrant some pro bowl consideration.

A bit premature, yes. But if the season ended today he would be in on stats alone. There is a lot of football left to be played, however and who knows how that will go.

At this point he would surely be in over Boldin and Houshmandzadeh. Colston is playing great but Austin has more yards and the same number of TDs in less receptions. He also has more yards and twice as many TDs as Donald Driver, again with less receptions.

Even being a Cowboys fan, I am not completely sold on Austin. I want to see him do it against some top tier defenses and I would like to see him do it after teams game plan for him. I hope he continues because not only is it good for my team, but it is such a great story when undrafted players make it to the higher echelon in the NFL. It happens so rarely that it is always a great story when it happens and Austin is such a likeable player that it is even better.

Austin has undoubtedly enjoyed an unbelievable streak of games . . . Based on the numbers he's put up over the past few weeks which have made his entire season look pretty damn good so far, he should be in the Pro Bowl.

Speaking of which, why the hell do people still care about the Pro Bowl anyway? It's no more a great honor than it is a popularity contest. And honestly . . . if Austin is playing in the Pro Bowl, then that just means that the cowboys once again failed to advance in the playoffs . . . so what's the problem with him PLAYING?

Austin has undoubtedly enjoyed an unbelievable streak of games . . . Based on the numbers he's put up over the past few weeks which have made his entire season look pretty damn good so far, he should be in the Pro Bowl.

Speaking of which, why the hell do people still care about the Pro Bowl anyway? It's no more a great honor than it is a popularity contest. And honestly . . . if Austin is playing in the Pro Bowl, then that just means that the cowboys once again failed to advance in the playoffs . . . so what's the problem with him PLAYING?

Huh? I fail to see how Austin playing or not playing in the Pro-Bowl has any bearing on the Cowboys playoff chances.

But, yeah, I have lost a lot of faith in the Pro-Bowl selections over the years. When I saw Vick and Roy Williams in the Pro-Bowl constantly, despite having mediocre to bad seasons, I lost all faith. I think they should disallow fan voting and go straight coach/player voting.

Huh? I fail to see how Austin playing or not playing in the Pro-Bowl has any bearing on the Cowboys playoff chances.

But, yeah, I have lost a lot of faith in the Pro-Bowl selections over the years. When I saw Vick and Roy Williams in the Pro-Bowl constantly, despite having mediocre to bad seasons, I lost all faith. I think they should disallow fan voting and go straight coach/player voting.

totally agree. Fan voting is a farce. It is a popularity contest and the game itself is just brutal. I would rather they did what they used to do, have the NFL champs play a game against college all stars. That would be interesting. Well, maybe. But it couldn't be worse than what they do right now.

Amongst the NFC:

3rd in Receiving Yards

2nd in Receiving TDs

1st in 20-39 yard plays.

2nd in 40+ yard plays.

5th in average per play

27th in catches

I think he's certainly a candidate. If he can continue to thrive as he has in the past weeks he should get into the pro bowl easily. That is a big if though.

Amongst the NFC:

3rd in Receiving Yards

2nd in Receiving TDs

1st in 20-39 yard plays.

2nd in 40+ yard plays.

5th in average per play

27th in catches

I think he's certainly a candidate. If he can continue to thrive as he has in the past weeks he should get into the pro bowl easily. That is a big if though.

Thank you. Not to mention had the 3rd or 4th best span of 3 games in NFL History!

Schefter didn't say Austin should be in the Pro Bowl.

He said Austin's emerged as a "legitimate contender" to be in the Pro Bowl.

There is a big difference, but don't let facts stop you from an anti-Dallas rant, right.

NOTHING, including a few early season facts can stop me from being anti-Dallas. :chair:

Tearing down the Cowboys is all I got, the Skins suck, I got nothing. :dallasuck:

totally agree. Fan voting is a farce. It is a popularity contest and the game itself is just brutal. I would rather they did what they used to do, have the NFL champs play a game against college all stars. That would be interesting. Well, maybe. But it couldn't be worse than what they do right now.

In this day and age, that would always be a massacre in favor of the NFL players if played seriously. EVERY NFL team is pretty much a college all star team, just bigger, faster, stronger, better techniques, etc.

Based on the numbers, it is not at all ridiculous to say he is a contender for the pro bowl.

I would be VERY pleasantly surprised if he does end up though. That would mean we answered a very big question about our team if he does..

Anyway here's my list of ten WRs I'd put in the Pro Bowl before Austin:

1. Larry Fitzgerald

2. Steve Smith (Giants)

3. Marques Colston

4. Anquan Boldin

5. Desean Jackson (for special teams too)

6. Roddy White

7. Donald Driver and/or Greg Jennings

8. TJ Houshmanzadah

9. Steve Smith (Carolina)

10. Sidney Rice

SINCE AUSTIN HAS STARTED is the key. No WR in NFL history has had a better first three starts. That's amazing if you ask me. Your list is simply laughable because you're obviously going with names and past performance.

Fitzgerald.. beast.. Colston beast... Boldin... horrible year for him thus far.. Desean.. monster but, hard as it may be to believe Austin is beating him in EVERY major receiving category with 4 fewer starts. Roddy White is solid but Austin is outplaying him right now atleast. TJ.. once again solid but becoming irrelevant in Seattle right now. .. Sidney Rice.. solid. def on the rise.. Steve Smith of Carolina. ..???? you can't be serious.. his numbers are horrific right now. Love him and it's not his fault necessarily.. but he's having a horrible year. Driver is having a solid year but Jennings is not.. Steve Smith (NYG) has had a major cool off after an impressive start...

This thread alone is a major indication of WHY Austin's name is hot right now.. he's already developed.. haters and doubters.

Austin is on pace for like 55 catches this year. Wow

Hmmmm you don't understand starting vs. not starting do you? He's caught 23 balls SINCE BECOMING A STARTER... my math says 7 catches per game. Based on those averages, he's good for 63 more putting him somewhere close to 90. Now it will be a challenge to keep this pace but there is no hotter receiver in the NFC right now. Don't get it twisted!

SINCE AUSTIN HAS STARTED is the key. No WR in NFL history has had a better first three starts. That's amazing if you ask me. Your list is simply laughable because you're obviously going with names and past performance.

Fitzgerald.. beast.. Colston beast... Boldin... horrible year for him thus far.. Desean.. monster but, hard as it may be to believe Austin is beating him in EVERY major receiving category with 4 fewer starts. Roddy White is solid but Austin is outplaying him right now atleast. TJ.. once again solid but becoming irrelevant in Seattle right now. .. Sidney Rice.. solid. def on the rise.. Steve Smith of Carolina. ..???? you can't be serious.. his numbers are horrific right now. Love him and it's not his fault necessarily.. but he's having a horrible year. Driver is having a solid year but Jennings is not.. Steve Smith (NYG) has had a major cool off after an impressive start...

This thread alone is a major indication of WHY Austin's name is hot right now.. he's already developed.. haters and doubters.

Hmmmm you don't understand starting vs. not starting do you? He's caught 23 balls SINCE BECOMING A STARTER... my math says 7 catches per game. Based on those averages, he's good for 63 more putting him somewhere close to 90. Now it will be a challenge to keep this pace but there is no hotter receiver in the NFC right now. Don't get it twisted!

Who has Austin played against the last three games?

What are their passing defenses rated at?

Keep on masturbating over Austin...it's pretty funny.

Who has Austin played against the last three games?

Hahaha.. all teams you predicted we'd LOSE to undoubtedly. So predictable. For this lousy tired rebuttal to hold any weight, ALL RECEIVERS must come close to 10 catches for 250 and two td's vs. KC? Either all receivers MUST achieve this or he's atleast pretty damn good. One or the other... something has to give. The skins for example failed to score even a td vs. KC. I'm willing to bet Austin matched or came close to the skins total offense vs KC. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking Marcus Trufant is a pro bowl corner. I'm not saying Austin has faced the very best of defenses but then again.. most WR's.. let alone making your first 3 starts put up those kind of number vs. anyone. In fact.. Austin holds the receiving yardage record for a WR making his first 3 starts.. impressive..

What are their passing defenses rated at?

Hateraid! :) doesn't matter. He's killing defenses. Doing what any very good receiver would do against a weak defense. I'll answer your question about the rankings if you go and fetch what other receivers have done against these same defenses?

Keep on masturbating over Austin...it's pretty funny.

I'm geeked over Austin.. thanks.. He's awesome.. your hating + your teams offensive futility is also pretty funny! Good work!

Archived