Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Time for Davis to step up

themurf

davis110209.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

A season that started with cautious optimism has quickly turned into a nightmare for the Washington Redskins.

Not only has the team managed to lose to bottom dwellers like Detroit, Carolina and Kansas City, but they’ve also been devastated by injuries to key players, such as Pro Bowl left tackle Chris Samuels and, most recently, Pro Bowl tight end Chris Cooley.

Cooley, who has been the most consistent performer this season on an otherwise struggling offense, will be sidelined for at least a month after suffering a broken right ankle against the Philadelphia Eagles last week.

“He was probably our best offensive weapon,” said backup tight end Todd Yoder. “When you’re struggling offensively and you lose that guy, it’s going to be tough to replace him. We’re going to have to have guys step up.”

While Yoder didn’t mention him by name, it’s clear that Yoder was referring to second-year tight end Fred Davis. After Cooley was injured early in the second quarter, Davis played extensively, finishing with a career-high eight catches for 78 yards and his first NFL touchdown.

“I thought he played well,” Yoder said of Davis’ performance against the Eagles. “Obviously he’s got big shoes to fill.”

But all wasn’t perfect for Davis. While he was targeted early and often in the passing game, he did miss several blocking assignments and dropped a touchdown pass.

“Man, I had one hand on it and I’m thinking ‘I’ve got to catch this,’” he said. “But I took my eyes off it at the last minute. Luckily, I got a second chance.”

One play later, Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell went right back to Davis, who this time was able to secure the pass for his first touchdown catch.

“I was still thinking about that last one,” Davis admitted.

But was he excited to finally catch his first touchdown at the pro level?

“I was like, ‘Okay good. At least I got it,’” he said. “Those opportunities don’t come a lot in this league.”

With Cooley out of the lineup, we asked Davis what he has to do to step up and help fill the void.

“For me, I just want to do everything right,” Davis said. “The pass blocking, I gave up a sack. That’s definitely something I have to be ready for next game. I don’t have any excuses. The other thing they brought me in for was the catch passes and doing everything right. That should come naturally because that’s what they brought me in for. There can’t be any mistakes. All of us can’t be making the same mistakes all the time. Jason just hasn’t had time back there and stuff isn’t happening for us right now.

“Hopefully Chris will give me some tips and I’ll try to fill his shoes the best I can, but that’s a hard job,” Davis continued. “With him hurt, we lose a lot. People make gameplans around him. Without him, it creates an opportunity for me. I’m just going to have to put in a lot of hard work. He’s a Pro Bowler who has been doing this for a minute now. Without him, it’s definitely going to be different.”

It was easy to sense the frustration in Davis’ voice. While he understands the opportunity he has to show the team they made a wise move selecting him in the second round of the 2008 draft, losing wears on everyone.

Click here for the full article.

Another great read!

I'm hoping that Davis can step up and prove to us why he was chosen over other needs on the roster. I am certainly glad that he seems to have a grasp on the reality of the situation and what's at stake for the Redskins and him personally. These next few weeks will be huge for his future, for good or bad.

As usual, we'll just have to wait and see!

Thanks guys. I'm not in the business of making fantasy football recommendations, but with Cooley out, one would think this would make Davis a go-to guy for Campbell (as evident by his strong showing versus the Eagles).

And here's a followup question for the masses - with Samuels and Cooley out and Sellers and Portis both struggling, does that officially make Ethan Albright our best Pro Bowler these days?

Thanks guys. I'm not in the business of making fantasy football recommendations, but with Cooley out, one would think this would make Davis a go-to guy for Campbell (as evident by his strong showing versus the Eagles).

And here's a followup question for the masses - with Samuels and Cooley out and Sellers and Portis both struggling, does that officially make Ethan Albright our best Pro Bowler these days?

I picked up Davis as a just in case, screws the guy who didn't let me draft cooley also :D

The time put in when they're the smallest dog on the field is already starting to pay off. Great interview Murph. One thing no one can knock The Danny for is the rapport we get here. Add in we feel almost like we know the interviewer = priceless.

All 3 of our pass catchers from that draft will be stars, circumstances have dictated that Davis will be the first to emerge.

Everything Cooley is good at this kid is better, where Cooley struggles Davis is worse. Expected at this stage of his career and given this

“Yeah, it is. This league, it’s definitely harder than it was at USC,” Davis said. “You really have to bring it every week.”
maybe not a bad experience at the start of his career especially when you add in that he should understand the need to be able to block, which he has had drummed in, in order to get play time.

Whoever is calling plays when Cooley comes back better be good with the 2 TE stuff 'cos I don't expect us to be able to take Davis out lightly.

As much as everyone appears to have given up on our team right now if our OL got the same treatment as our DL did last year we'd be contenders. Even if only in the same way any team with a really good OL and DL are always good teams.

I like that Doughty has forced his way back on to our team as a starter. I like that Davis is given a shot and he stays back to practice more after having a 'welcome to the nfl' game personally. As much as Zorn is being dicked around by the FO, the players (maybe not including Portis, dude needs to step up) are giving it their all. Say what you like about Zorn as a play caller, as a HC he must be doing something right to have all the rats on the same life raft he is on???

Whoever thought giving Vinny control 2 years ago, and then bringing in a new HC and switching to a WCO would make us contenders this year????????

But yeah nice interview Murph, with a guy about to bust out and announce himself to the league :D

Antonio Gates hasn't helped me much lately...I'll be picking up Davis for sure once the game is over tonight.

Look up "consistency" in the dictionary. You will see a picture of Ethan Albright there :)

Red Snapper FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I picked up Davis as a just in case, screws the guy who didn't let me draft cooley also :D

I am- I have 3 teams, one of which is all Redskins just cuz I wanted to see how that would work this year. I already picked up Davis.

On another team I had Owen Daniels, who is now out for the year-so going to add Freddie to that one for now.

Archived