Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone have Mattress recommendations?

JonsieRB34

About 18 months ago I bought a Queen size, pillow-top mattress from value city. It was awesome at the store but over time it has become a POS. There's no way it should already be doneski after 18 months, but it's no longer level and I wake up w/ back aches all the time. My GF hates it and when she can't sleep well in it, she either tosses and turns all night or lets me hear about it the next AM.

Questions:

- Does anyone have a mattress that they absolutely love? I think I want something a bit on the firmer/supportive side.

- What are your thoughts on memory foam, NovaFORM, etc. type of mattresses?

- Where do you recommend to find a good selection and deal, and still be able to test it out in the store?

We need a new one too. My brother in law swears by his memory foam one that he got last year. He said it was very tough to adjust to at first but after a couple of weeks he absolutely would never go back to a regular mattress.

I see you are in Charlotte. I think they have some great prices over at the IKEA store on many different mattress types.

Since you are both in or around Charlotte, I would recommend checking HH Gregg out. That is where I bought my mattress last year and I got a great deal. I looked at Value City, but ended up getting a better mattress at a better price at HH Gregg.

I think I got a Serta Perfect Sleeper and have been more than happy with it.

Plus they had free delivery and no payments or interest for a year at the time.

Order it online... much cheaper than going to the store. I recently bought this bed: http://www.us-mattress.com/simmons-beautyrest-lasaka-firm-king.html and I'm pretty happy with it. I went to the store first though so I could try all the different beds and then ordered it online (cold blooded I know). Had a good experience with US-Mattress.com they delivered it like a week later after setting up a time that worked for me and installed the new bed and removed all trash. I looked around and their prices were great.

I have a the Celebrity from Tempur-Pedic...

It was little expensive but its the single most "worth it" item that me and my wife can agree that we bought...

Have the Tempur-Pedic also, and totally agree on being worth it. For the money though you really have to look at how many years you're going to have a mattress of this type. This thing will last forever it seems. Mine is around 7 years old right now...they don't really wear out like a spring mattress.

Have the Tempur-Pedic also, and totally agree on being worth it. For the money though you really have to look at how many years you're going to have a mattress of this type. This thing will last forever it seems. Mine is around 7 years old right now...they don't really wear out like a spring mattress.

The way to look at it is "What bed do you want" and then "where can I get it for the least amount of money". Start with what you want because when you think about it let's say you keep the bed for 5 years and pay 4,000. That's 67 bucks a month (less than my cell phone for example) for an item that you are going to use more than your car that plays a major role in your health and well being.

In my case I didn't like the foam mattresses. I toss and turn because I'm temperature sensitive at night, not because I'm uncomfortable. Turning in a foam bed isn't easy as I like because you end up in like a shallow pocket. I liked the bed I bought after trying a bunch out and was lucky to find it for pretty cheap (store wanted 2200 for it).

I went to Sleepy's during a mattress sale at one of their outlets so everything was more than half off. I got a Sealy Posturepedic Signature "Linwood Springs" model. It is either the firmest of those models or the 2nd most firm. It's pretty stiff, pretty thick, and has a slightly soft top. I can't sleep on anything but a firm mattress, squishy soft mattresses mess up my back and I'm hurting by the time I wake up.

The mattress I have now is awesome. I'm a good sleeper normally, I fall asleep and stay asleep through the night no matter what, but with this one I don't wake up with back pain and especially not FROM back pain. I went to visit my parents over the weekend and stayed in my sister's old bed which is a squishy piece of crap and it was awful. I woke up because I was in pain every morning and I didn't feel very rested.

I know a lot of people recommend the various tempur pedic type beds. My parents have a tempur pedic, when they went on vacation they said I should try it out since I've never been on one to sleep before. I couldn't stand it. I sleep on my stomach/side (sort of inbetween) and I couldn't find a comfortable position. The mattress was supposed to be medium to firm but I sank into it a bit and it was all very strange...I have always put my arm underneath my pillow and directly under my head for support, and it's the position I get in to be the most comfortable. Sinking into the bed awkwardly made it so I couldn't comfortably get into the position I sleep in.

On top of that it doesn't absorb heat as well as a spring mattress. Everybody likes to be warm and toasty while sleeping, but I slept on that bed for two nights and each night I woke up sweating, which was very uncomfortable.

With that said, mattresses are one of the most personal things to you. Chances are you and your girlfriend have different preferences when it comes to mattresses. Soft ones hurt my back so bad it isn't funny. Hard ones hurt my girlfriend's back just the same, and only soft ones are good for her. You need to test them out to a great extent.

Also, the most important thing is to know what you're paying for. Name brands cost more money but they generally hold up better, and come with better warranty options, as well as buying from a credible location like Sleepy's or Mattress Warehouse.

Don't get suckered into overpaying. The bed I got on sale was something like a 1,700 dollar queen size and I ended up paying 600 for it. It is the best mattress I've ever owned and I get great sleep on it. At the same time don't go cheap on the brand, you'll regret it in about 2 years.

In my case I didn't like the foam mattresses. I toss and turn because I'm temperature sensitive at night, not because I'm uncomfortable. Turning in a foam bed isn't easy as I like because you end up in like a shallow pocket. I liked the bed I bought after trying a bunch out and was lucky to find it for pretty cheap (store wanted 2200 for it).

I toss and turn alot too but my wife complained after we got married and you know start sleeping in the same everyday that my tossing and turning is shaking the bed. it was actually waking her up enough to annoy her... so the foam mattress also solved this problem as well cause the bed barely shakes on her side when i move around during my sleep...

Another note. We wanted to believe that all foam mattresses are created equal cause we wanted to get it cheap as possible but this just isnt true. You really need to test and retest your comfortable level on the mattress cause differences between the Celebrity which was almost top of the line Tempur-Pedic and some of the cheaper ones were light and day. At least for us it was...

On top of that it doesn't absorb heat as well as a spring mattress. Everybody likes to be warm and toasty while sleeping, but I slept on that bed for two nights and each night I woke up sweating, which was very uncomfortable.

i hear that complaint about the foam mattress alot but I have the exact opposite experience...

actually the mattress feel slightly cooler than my spring mattress that i have in the other bedroom. My Celebrity does have this "cover" thing that comes with the mattresss.. maybe thats making the difference but for me who is a warm body who tends to sweat little earlier than most... its definitely cooler.

i hear that complaint about the foam mattress alot but I have the exact opposite experience...

actually the mattress feel slightly cooler than my spring mattress that i have in the other bedroom. My Celebrity does have this "cover" thing that comes with the mattresss.. maybe thats making the difference but for me who is a warm body who tends to sweat little earlier than most... its definitely cooler.

My experience matches yours.

If you sleep at all "hot," don't get a Tempurpedic. Halfway through the night, you will be a sweat geyser.

I am a "hot" sleeper and that is not all in line with my use over the past 6 months.

I toss and turn alot too but my wife complained after we got married and you know start sleeping in the same everyday that my tossing and turning is shaking the bed. it was actually waking her up enough to annoy her... so the foam mattress also solved this problem as well cause the bed barely shakes on her side when i move around during my sleep...

If tossing and shaking is a problem, then the choice is either foam or Simmons. The foam absorbes the movement, the Simmons has individually wrapped coils that do the same thing. You can get up and out of those two types of beds without even waking your partner.

Serta, Sealy and the other major brands bounce way too much.

I am a "hot" sleeper and that is not all in line with my use over the past 6 months.

I guess everyone is different. I am fine on a tempurpedic for a while, but I feel hotter and hotter as the night goes on. I feel like my body can't "breathe."

But lots of people love them, so it depends on the person.

I could have sworn the thread title read "Anyone have MISTRESS recommendations."

you can probably use the say advice for that too...

make sure you get to lay on them.. multiple times to make sure you are comfortable with it...

get an idea of what will work for you then shop for a cheaper price...

haha

Archived