Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should the players and coaches still "Keep It Medium"?

Commander Adama

I remember when I first hear the "Keep It Medium" mantra from Jim Zorn. It irritated me then, and now it is very evident on the field. It looks as though some players took "keeping it medium" to mean playing with no heart, no fire. That is seriously not a sentiment I want coming from our Head Coach.

I want the firey go-hard-or-go-home type mentality from the coach. I want the players to feel, if they are not giving everything, then they can be benched by the coach. Something similar to Singletary or Tomlin. This team sorely needs it. With Snyder and Cerrato paying big bucks for any big name out there, they need that type of Coach to put those prima-donna type attitudes in their place and create a team atmosphere.

I am not saying, I do not like Jim Zorn, because I do like the man. he is a nice guy, but he is not the guy I want coaching the Redskins anymore. The man is very nice, but he doesn't understand the NFC East. We do not like playing the Eagles, we LOVE beating them. Please stop "keeping it medium" and get that fire we need you to have to coach in the NFC East.

HTTR

The only thing that should medium is a steak. I want my football team fired up & kicking ass.

Medium steak, yech.

Medium rare FTW.

If they're not angry yet, or worse, if Zorn is trying to keep them calm, he should be further removed from coaching and just do the QB coach thing. They need to be angry right now.

Keeping a cool head is a good idea in any sport. Football is not an exception. Keeping a cool head allows intense concentration on the assigned task.

There's a difference between keeping a cool head and playing with zero passion. I think we're seeing a lot of the latter from our team this year. I also think the "keep it medium" message is meant to support your idea, but ends up being misinterpreted to mean "don't get fired up."

It is possible to get really fired up yet remain rational enough to avoid mistakes.

There's a difference between keeping a cool head and playing with zero passion. I think we're seeing a lot of the latter from our team this year. I also think the "keep it medium" message is meant to support your idea, but ends up being misinterpreted to mean "don't get fired up."

It is possible to get really fired up yet remain rational enough to avoid mistakes.

Getting emotionally fired up is a waste of energy. It can't be sustained. Players should stay cool and focused, like a boxer being pummeled by a flurry of punches by his opponent-- he should stay cool and wait calmly for his chance to counter.

Getting emotionally fired up is a waste of energy. It can't be sustained. Players should stay cool and focused, like a boxer being pummeled by a flurry of punches by his opponent-- he should stay cool and wait calmly for his chance to counter.

You tell that to Ray Lewis and Mike Singletary?

The utility of getting fired up is that it can give you an edge when you need it. I'm not talking about a sustained edge, just an extra push at a particular time. This is something I've experienced personally countless times. Of course, you can dismiss this since it amounts to qualitative research, but I can attest to the power of emotion when it comes to a big moment in sports - as can many others here. This Redskins team displays a flat emotional aspect for the most part, and I'm saying this contributes a bit to their lack of success.

We disagree on this and have in the past. I guess we'll continue the trend... :)

It's funny - I'm not religious at all, so this sounds like me arguing with a religious zealot, only you're me and I'm them...:doh:

Archived