Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

QB Hamdan balks at offer from Redskins

bigchuck

The same can be said for Ramsey getting into Spurrier's doghouse or Shuler getting into Turner's doghouse.... The player was justified and it was worth getting the extra money for.

I'll spell this out from personal experience...

My brother was a high draft pick by the LA Dodgers out of highschool, he was all about signing quickly so the Dodgers would have a good impression of him and hopefully it would pay off for him. He had ALL the leverage in the world, he had full rides lined up for LSU, Miami, Texas, Clemson and other college baseball powerhouses. He received a six figure signing bonus, but didn't hold out for more. After a couple of years, We all came to realize it was a mistake. He WOULD (not could) have tripled, yes tripled the signing bonus by holding out and playing hard ball with them. The players that were drafted at his position received triple his money in the following years based on the hold outs. AND, to top that off, his "good deed" didn't mean squat to the team. Once you are there and playing, the missing time doesn't mean a thing, it's all about production.

If my brother could do it all over again, he would have held out and tripled his money... in the long run, he would have been better off, being the "team guy" didn't help him one bit.

Hamdan is not a high draft choice, but he isn't risking getting in the dog house either... think about it, what are the odds of him even playing? He was drafted, he'll get signed, all of this is just minor details.

He was with the Dodgers for 5 years, then drafted by the WhiteSox in the AAA draft and played 2 seasons with them. He gave it all up at age 25 to spend time with his wife and son. He often got homesick, very bad homesickness, I've posted before, I lived with him in 3 summers so he wouldn't quit. After I got married, that really wasn't an option anymore and his wife wasn't all that supportive.

He was a "future star" at points with the dodgers and just couldn't get past the mental part of Life on the Road.

Many of the current Dodgers are friends/teammates.

Eric Gagne, Adrian Beltre...

Rocky Biddle, the closer for the Expos was his best friend with the White Sox and they still keep in touch.

Originally posted by tommy-the-greek

What are his chances of playing? Ask the eagles.

What I meant is that he isn't the projected starter going in.. if an injury occured to Ramsey, You know Danny Wuerffel would be signed ASAP, there's NO WAY that Hamdan has any chance to play any time soon. Spurrier would sign DW, then Shane, then Kerwin Bell before Hamdan has a shot.

I disagree. Why did we pick up Johnson and draft a qb and get another undrafted qb? Spurrier and the FO has no confidence is DW at all, period. This kid has a chance, albeit a very small one to play in the near future. That will NEVER happen if he gets in the dog house. Banks will immediately leap frog him and get his camp snaps.

He has to beat out Banks as it is just to make the team and secure the #3 spot. If he holds out now he will be on the practice squad. Any guy on this board would give there right nut to be in his position right now with his skills and talent. I for one would sign and be in camp on Sunday. I would do what ever it takes to catch Spurrier's eye and beat out Banks. If he is not there on Sunday you can almost bet he is camp fodder. The guy doesn't exactly have a sterling football history. He lacks alot of game expierence at the lower levels as it is. He needs all the coaching up he can get.

Tommy, Hamden is clearly a project, as is Banks.

Teams have project 3rd stringers all the time, when the number one guy goes down, someone is signed. Hamdan has more physical ability than DW, but if something crazy happened early in the season before Hamdan had a chance to learn the system, you could bet that DW would be signed quickly to back up Johnson, Hamdan would remain at third string.

I look at the QB situation this way:

Ramsey is expected to win some games.

Johnson is expected to be there incase Ramsey goes down, but he has the tools to win games.

Hamdan/Banks are projects.

DW if resigned because of injury wouldn't be expected to win games on his own, he would just be expected NOT to lose games. To just be a caretaker until Ramsey and Johnson are healthy.

I totally see where you are coming from Tommy, but Hamdan is cleary a "potential" guy. He's not being thought of as a possible starter at any point, Spurrier wants to see if he can make something out of him, but at this point, that's not a priority, getting Ramsey and Johnson ready is.

Code, I just don't think it is a given that if Ramsey and Johnson get hurt that we will pick up a fa qb. The Eagles took a kid off there practice squad and won a few games with him. That kid was hanging around by a thread before the injury bug hit them.

All I am saying is he has to work his butt off just to be the #3 guy. Knowing this a 7th rounder shouldn't miss the start of camp over a few K. Any one of us would gladly take that money to get a few splinters in our butts. If a 7th rounder is going to make any real money it is going to be in his 2nd contract if he gets one and not the first. His mindset should be to get into camp on time and give it everything he has.

Hamdan's agent may be POed that Ken Dorsey got incentives, but then again Dorsey did a lot more in college and there is a lot more tape of him being productive out on a football field :)

that name recognition may not help once September comes, but it DOES affect the negotiation and slotting of players for contract purposes.

Hamdan only started for less than a full year at Indiana.

The last Indiana qb we had in here was Babe Laufenburg, himself a #6 pick in 1984.

Right now, Hamdan is a physique (6'3 and 240) waiting to test himself as a football player.

He has such little experience he makes Quincy Carter look like a guy that maximized his college time at Georgia :)

In terms of how much more money does he think he might make? It could be 3 or 4 thousand dollars, maybe 10 thousand... I sure would like 3 or 4 thousand dollars right now. Remember, he's just come out of college, no job, no money. Money is good.

Tommy, I totally understand where you are coming from, but I'm talking about an injury early... I would hope that whomever we keep as the third stringer would be a capable back up by midseason. I was only referring to the "urgency" of now. I don't believe there is any urgency. If Ramsey and Johnson both were injured in a car crash before week one, there's no way that Hamdan and or Banks start, however, if the same thing happens in week 12, that's a whole different story.

Originally posted by WarpathBrave86

Code, he should've taken that full ride to LSU! lol

LOL.. sometimes I totally agree... LSU was the one school he seriously considered, they were really cool in their recruiting. First class school... no doubt. I have nothing but respect for them.

there is little chance the Redskins are going to be able to come up with a #3 quarterback under the cap that can really come in here and contribute to victories if both Ramsey and Johnson go down.

it's just not realistic.

you see names on rosters but a lot of those guys simply can't play.

the Packers have Pederson and Smith and on first glance you think 'there's 2 NFL quality players behind Favre'................

but on closer inspection Pederson is a guy who hardly ever takes any snaps and in his last starting gig with the Eagles when McNabb was a rookie looked so bad Reid inserted Donovan into the lineup before he originally planned to do so.

Smith on the other hand is a guy that couldn't get time in what has been perhaps the NFL's worst passing offense the last few years.

Even with Dillon in the backfield, no Bengals qb, most noteworthy Smith, could win the job.

If he had the same skills but had not been the #3 pick in the draft is there any doubt Smith would have been cut LAST year? :)

There are other clubs in similar situations. They have retreads and guys that are recognizable by name but in reality are no more legitimate options to start than Banks or Hamdan may be.

Maybe if both Ramsey and Johnson get hurt, then the team can resign DW :cool:

He can hand off and throw the dump offs to Morton and Canidate, right? :)

Bulldog, That's what I was saying all along. If by some extreme tragedy that something happened to Ramsey and Johnson, DW would surely be considered. We know DW can't win games on his own, so his role is completely different than Ramsey's would be. Spurrier is hoping that Johnson can be a game winner if something happened to Ramsey. While that remains to be seen, and frankly, none of us want to ever see him in a game, I think that's the idea.

Archived