Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

QB Hamdan balks at offer from Redskins

bigchuck

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20030724-121814-8835r.htm

The Washington Redskins have some work to do to sign rookie quarterback Gibran Hamdan.

The Redskins' seventh-round pick remained unsigned yesterday as the two sides negotiated whether his three-year contract should include the extra financial "bump" traditionally given to drafted quarterbacks, NFL sources said.

Both Vinny Cerrato, Washington's vice president of football operations, and agent Buddy Baker remained optimistic that a deal could be worked out by today. Players are due to report for training camp Sunday, and the chances of a late pick like Hamdan holding out are extremely unlikely.

The Redskins offered Hamdan a three-year contract worth about $942,000 with a $32,500 signing bonus, numbers that fit into the slot for the 232nd player selected in the draft. But sources said Hamdan wants the extra money commonly given to quarterbacks. That could mean a slightly higher bonus and/or the addition of incentives or escalators.

Baker wouldn't confirm details of the standoff but said, "I guess the issue is where does a guy fall in the round and where does he fall as a position player. We're trying to balance all that to get what we think is a fair contract for my client."

The Redskins are refusing to put incentives in Hamdan's contract, sources said. Thus the club is expected to offer Hamdan a slightly higher signing bonus than his draft position would dictate, though the amount probably will be less than $1,000.

This year's other late-round rookie quarterbacks have gotten incentives, NFL sources said. Sixth-rounder Kliff Kingsbury (New England) got $100,000 in playing-time incentives; sixth-rounder Brooks Bollinger (New York Jets) got a bump in signing bonus and some incentives; and seventh-rounder Ken Dorsey (San Francisco) got incentives.

Meanwhile, a deal for third-round offensive lineman Derrick Dockery is being held up by the contract's length. Dockery wants to sign for three years, the Redskins for four. A fourth year would keep Dockery off the restricted free agent market in 2006. A number of clubs are pushing late-round picks to sign four-year deals this year in the wake of Washington's raiding of the restricted market.

A contract for second-round wide receiver Taylor Jacobs could become easier after St. Louis signs linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa, the player drafted immediately in front of Jacobs. Tinoisamoa's signing should come soon because the Rams open camp today. New England wide receiver Bethel Johnson, who was drafted one spot below Jacobs, already signed a five-year, $3.8 million deal with a $1.75 million bonus.

Elsewhere, defensive end Ladairis Jackson, who tore an ACL late last year and was held out of offseason practices, has been cleared to participate in training camp, Cerrato said.

Note — The Redskins, again confronted by Native Americans who find the team's name offensive, asked a District judge yesterday to overturn a ruling that revoked the team's federal trademark protection. A ruling is not expected for a few weeks.

• Staff writer Jody Foldesy contributed to this report.

Although I usually nail incredibly well-paid athletes (like Ramsey) who haggle at the expense of their teams, I'd be inclined to cut Hamdan more slack since he may eventually need every cent of $$ he makes in the NFL one day if things don't pan out....

Last season, the Eagles 7th rounder held out. In the end, the team had spent the rookie salary pool on the earlier draft choices before he signed, so he ended up a UFA and landed in Indianapolis. Granted, he wasn't a QB and the team basically wasted a pick, but he also received bad advice from his agent. 7th-rounders don't have a whole lot of negotiating power.

You'd figure a local boy would just be happy to be drafted by the Skins and sign.....but with those other QB's getting incentives, I see his agent's angle......so why not give him incentives he cant possibly reach to shut him up and sign him?

Originally posted by RabidFan

You'd figure a local boy would just be happy to be drafted by the Skins and sign.....but with those other QB's getting incentives, I see his agent's angle......so why not give him incentives he cant possibly reach to shut him up and sign him?

Never underestimate the power of a persons greed or their supidity. 7th rounder thinking he has ANY leverage? :rolleyes: :rotflmao: :laugh:

It's the agent's job to absolutely maximize his client's contract. Whether or not he's got much leverage, he's still doing his job for Hamdan.

If he can squeeze out another $7,500 in signing bonus by delaying signing a few days, isn't that good work on behalf of his client?

I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but many of you need to understand that you are looking at this situation from a Fan's perspective. Until you've been in the position to be apart of Pro Sports Contract negotiations, which I have, you can't imagine.

Despite what the athletes say, they are NOT just happy to be there, they have worked all their lives to be in the position that they are in and it is in their best interest to negotiate the best deal possible for themselves, not the team or the fans.

The team is usually going to lowball the first offer, the agent is is going to counter for more than he expects to get, then they will haggle over the minor details.

The team and the agent understand this, it's part of the business aspect of the sport, the fans for the most part are clueless.

While some of you say Hamdan may not have any leverage, that's not entirely the case. He has the leverage of the past contracts offered in the spot where he was drafted. If the Skins had no intention of offering him that amount, they would have never drafted him. But they did draft him and it's doubtful that they are just going to let him walk, and it's just as doubtful that the agent is going to ask for anything unreasonable.

Many of you criticized Ramsey for last years hold out... It sure does look like Ramsey was the smart one.... he received the escalators in his contract, he's the starter, now he just has to hold on to it.

Originally posted by endzone_dave

I wish I could make that much money for just sitting on the bench.

Don't we all... But that's not what's going through Hamdan's mind.

It's different when you have the ability to be at that level. You don't look at it the same way the fan does.

Originally posted by speedwagon20

Good points Code. The other thing to consider is that most athletes have a small window of time to make their money and they have every right to try to squeeze every dollar out of that window. If Hamden lost his arm tomorrow, he'd be living off of this contract for a long time.

I agree totally... These guys have put in hours practicing and studying that we have not... that's why they are were they are and we are where we are...lol

Every athlete should try to maximize their earnings (as should we all), but what Code misses is that this is an entertainment business, and image counts. How does it look for this kid that the Skins are investing in -- they don't count on getting any return on that investment for a long time, if ever -- to be arguing over pennies? He looks ungrateful and selfish, and that's the last thing anyone wants in a QB.

This is just a blip though. He'll sign before the start of camp.

Personally, I have forgiven Pat Ramsey for his ungrateful and selfish approach to signing last year.

Just as I will forgive the team for its ungrateful and selfish approach to handling BDW's contract.

Yeah, it's entertainment. But it's also business (I wonder how much fun we'd have debating the negotiations between NBC and the "Friends" gang if those negotiations were as public as these?).

The "blip" part is dead on.

Originally posted by Even Madder

Every athlete should try to maximize their earnings (as should we all), but what Code misses is that this is an entertainment business, and image counts. How does it look for this kid that the Skins are investing in -- they don't count on getting any return on that investment for a long time, if ever -- to be arguing over pennies? He looks ungrateful and selfish, and that's the last thing anyone wants in a QB.

This is just a blip though. He'll sign before the start of camp.

This is an entertainment business to you... not to Hamdan or any of the other athletes who have worked their whole lives to be in a position to make money from playing a game. Trust me, they could care less how entertained any of us are.

Is that few k more worth getting into Spurrier's dog house?

If I were him I would sign and get to work. Ramsey may turn out to be a dud or may get hurt. Johnson is not the future for the skins. He has a shot of proving himself to be part of the future if Ramsey stumbles. He will get his money on his 2nd contract if he works his butt off and earns it.

My nose would be so far up Spurriers butt you could tell how old I was using the dendrochronology method of counting the brown rings on my nose.:rotflmao:

Archived