Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

just say no to gruden....

joeknows

i have seen a lot of posts about bringing gruden to washington. for the love of god no!!!

this guy is NOT a winner....

I stopped reading there.

Really dude?

Really?

He put two teams into the super bowl and is part of one of the most prominent coaching trees in the modern NFL. He built a solid team in the anus of the NFL that is Oakland. Then, he went and took over a team that even the great Tony Dungy couldn't take to the Bowl, and he did it all the while being 8 years younger than Dungy. He became the youngest coach to win a Super Bowl, who was a significant part of both of the teams that clashed in that very game. Who else has done that? Who else has accomplished so much at such a young age?

If that's your idea of "not a winner" then you will be a miserable fan for the rest of your life.

Take it from someone who is stuck watching and hearing about Tampa all the time. We don't want Gruden. In his defense, the owners didn't give him much to work with. But it is fairly well known that almost NONE of the players liked to play for him. Tampa mostly won because of Monte Kiffin the past several years, not Gruden. Also, if we hire Gruden, his offense is so complicated that only a veteran QB could play here. So forget about a young stud QB being successful here until 2 or 3 years down the line.

Cowher

Shanahan

Take it from someone who is stuck watching and hearing about Tampa all the time. We don't want Gruden. In his defense, the owners didn't give him much to work with. But it is fairly well known that almost NONE of the players liked to play for him. Tampa mostly won because of Monte Kiffin the past several years, not Gruden. Also, if we hire Gruden, his offense is so complicated that only a veteran QB could play here. So forget about a young stud QB being successful here until 2 or 3 years down the line.

Cowher

Shanahan

Speardog, I'm not trying to start a huge argument here, but I want to challenge your comment that none of the players liked playing for Gruden. So what? They're all making handfuls and handfuls of money while seemingly they could care less whether they win or not. For the kind of money they earn, who cares whether they like the coach or not? JUST WIN!!!!!!!!!!

And, remember, the 1980 U.S. hockey team hated their coach, Herb Brooks, but they won a gold medal.

Ill take Gruden anyday!......

I dont feel like Holmgren or Shannahan would be the answer for this team..... They are good coaches but they lack the fire and emotion that this team needs in a coach.....

Give me Gruden, or another firey coach who actually can excel at this level...(John Harbaugh, Singleterry, Mcdaniels), thos guys have the "IT" factor. And have made bottom of the barrel teams much better.....

Denver isnt missing Shannahan, Seattle isnt missing Holmgren, but Tampa Bay is sure missing Gruden!

Speardog, I'm not trying to start a huge argument here, but I want to challenge your comment that none of the players liked playing for Gruden. So what? They're all making handfuls and handfuls of money while seemingly they could care less whether they win or not. For the kind of money they earn, who cares whether they like the coach or not? JUST WIN!!!!!!!!!!

And, remember, the 1980 U.S. hockey team hated their coach, Herb Brooks, but they won a gold medal.

I said almost none, which equals most players, not all.

My work involves a lot of driving, so I listen to all the local sports radio down here. It's fairly well known among the media down here that Gruden has no problem lying to players or not following up on his promises. Here's a couple links I found which hints to the fact that he's not a players' coach.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/01/27/simeon-rice-becomes-latest-player-to-pile-on-jon-gruden/

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/17/jon-gruden-is-the-larry-brown-of-the-nfl/

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/26/sports/football/26rhoden.html

Ill take Gruden anyday!......

Denver isnt missing Shannahan, Seattle isnt missing Holmgren, but Tampa Bay is sure missing Gruden!

Ahhh no, they are not missing Gruden, he couldn't help this team. They would be better, but Tampa Bay is mostly missing Monte Kiffin. And they are also 45 MILLION UNDER THE CAP! To me, it appears that the owners are gutting the team in order to sell it.

I want Jon Gruden, this franchise needs an angry coach, someone who has the ability to put the owner in his place and keep him there, a HC who WILL bench non performers and get rid of the dead wood we have on the roster

and what happened to the last guy that tried to put danny in his place and take more control of the team???

remember marty?

Dungy was the coach. And if Gruden takes the same players Dungy has and does better with them by making them Superbowl champions -- doesn't that if anything make Gruden look good?

so he beat a team that he knew the strengths and weaknesses of better than anyone else? in an afc that was pathetic at the time?

I stopped reading there.

Really dude?

Really?

He put two teams into the super bowl and is part of one of the most prominent coaching trees in the modern NFL. He built a solid team in the anus of the NFL that is Oakland. Then, he went and took over a team that even the great Tony Dungy couldn't take to the Bowl, and he did it all the while being 8 years younger than Dungy. He became the youngest coach to win a Super Bowl, who was a significant part of both of the teams that clashed in that very game. Who else has done that? Who else has accomplished so much at such a young age?

If that's your idea of "not a winner" then you will be a miserable fan for the rest of your life.

once again he beat a team that he knew better than anyone else the weaknesses and strengths of .... with another mans team

i think right now we are seeing what happens when a team has no respect for the coach..... i dont think that lack of respect due to weakness or lack of respect due to hatred has any difference either way a team will be unmotivated by a man they dont respect no matter the reason

Nothing will change unless a major change is made from the top down. For heaven's sake, get a good coach and a top caliber GM!! Snyder is a business man and since he is running this team like a business, he must realize that the current business model is not working. He would not hesitate to change the model of his communications divisions if things were going bad, why not this business model? C'mon Dan, get on the bus and fix the dang team!

I'm not too sure. Didn't Gruden start alienating a lot of people at the end tenure with TB. Not sure if I want him to come in and cause more problems.

Look at what Josh McDaniels did in Denver?!? (Sorry, thinking out loud)

Something needs to happen, we are underachievers.

so he beat a team that he knew the strengths and weaknesses of better than anyone else? in an afc that was pathetic at the time?

I'll play along, what about all the other teams he beat along the way in the playoffs, etc? Since when is winning the Superbowl just about winning ONE game? Getting there isn't easy, we as fans should know that better than most.

I'll play along, what about all the other teams he beat along the way in the playoffs, etc? Since when is winning the Superbowl just about winning ONE game? Getting there isn't easy, we as fans should know that better than most.

granted i see your point.... but once again he was given a playoff contending team.... he was given a team that had the ability to get there any way

here he will have to build a team...

and if by that thinking then isnt the coach that took his team from oakland to the superbowl better than him then???

ps furthermore.... he would have to build ateam from scratch here.....

Nothing will change unless a major change is made from the top down. For heaven's sake, get a good coach and a top caliber GM!! Snyder is a business man and since he is running this team like a business, he must realize that the current business model is not working. He would not hesitate to change the model of his communications divisions if things were going bad, why not this business model? C'mon Dan, get on the bus and fix the dang team!

i see the point you are making however running this team like a business isnt taking them to the bowl but it HAS made it the highest grossing sports franchise in the world!!

why change what is working..... from a business standpoint anyway...

I said almost none, which equals most players, not all.

My work involves a lot of driving, so I listen to all the local sports radio down here. It's fairly well known among the media down here that Gruden has no problem lying to players or not following up on his promises. Here's a couple links I found which hints to the fact that he's not a players' coach.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/01/27/simeon-rice-becomes-latest-player-to-pile-on-jon-gruden/

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/17/jon-gruden-is-the-larry-brown-of-the-nfl/

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/26/sports/football/26rhoden.html

Thanks. I read the articles. My point remains the same: Who cares whether these "spoiled brat" players like their coach? The Redskins are paying top dollar and getting no value for the players they're paying for, and we, as fans, are getting the worst end of this, because the players are putting an absolutely inferior product on the field, and the players don't seem to care. Give me a coach that lights a fire under his players and gets them to perform to their ability!! We, as fans, want the team to WIN, WIN, WIN. I could care less whether they like their coach, so long as they win. Right now, we may have a coach that the players like, but they're not winning.

Thanks. I read the articles. My point remains the same: Who cares whether these "spoiled brat" players like their coach? The Redskins are paying top dollar and getting no value for the players they're paying for, and we, as fans, are getting the worst end of this, because the players are putting an absolutely inferior product on the field, and the players don't seem to care. Give me a coach that lights a fire under his players and gets them to perform to their ability!! We, as fans, want the team to WIN, WIN, WIN. I could care less whether they like their coach, so long as they win. Right now, we may have a coach that the players like, but they're not winning.

once again lack of respect is lack of respect.... it doesnt matter if it is from being soft or being a hard ass..... either way lack of respect is the great UNmotivator..... is that even a word? lol

I stopped reading there.

Really dude?

Really?

First of all, Gruden did a decent job in Oakland, he went 8-8 twice and then picked it up but never went to the Bowl in Oakland. He had 1 AFC Championship game and 1 divisional game but lost both to Baltimore and New England. Ending with 38-26(.594)record

Then he went to Tampa and rode Dungys team to the super bowl. Once that ended he did nothing endind with a 57-55(.509)record.

Gruden belongs on T.V he has a Overall record of 95-81 (.540)

Gruden is average

Homgren and Cowher are not the answers here. What has Holmgren done without Favre, oh yeah he took a just over mediocre Seattle team through a mediocre NFC playoffs to the Superbowl, those years were full of Mediocre NFC playoffs, and he only made it through 1.

Cowher took 12 years or so to get the Steelers to the superbowl, we dont have the patience for that.

I agree, we need fire. Although, to me you are describing Cowher, not Gruden. Gruden never fired anyone up but himself. And yes, I absolutely want the players to like their coach. Yes, it works when the team wins but when the team loses, the coach is suddenly the bad guy, he loses the players, then the media, the the fans. Gruden wouldn't last 2 years here. I want a long term coach, and GM for that matter.

i have seen a lot of posts about bringing gruden to washington. for the love of god no!!!

this guy is NOT a winner....

he won that superbowl in his first year with another mans team and it was all downhill after that....

the idea of bringing that jerk here is the height of lunacy.....

bring in cowher and if not bring in shanny

How many division titles did he win with TB? 3, and tampa was not stacked player wise. hes a very good coach

I agree, we need fire. Although, to me you are describing Cowher, not Gruden. Gruden never fired anyone up but himself. And yes, I absolutely want the players to like their coach. Yes, it works when the team wins but when the team loses the coach is suddenly the bad guy, he loses the players, then the media, the the fans. Gruden wouldn't last 2 years here. I want a long term coach, and GM for that matter.
Okay - Cowher, Gruden, somebody who will 1) win; 2) fire up the players; and 3) dictate to the owner how the team will be run (and not vice-versa). I admit that my opinion on Gruden is not grounded in much reality, except for the little that I've seen of him on television and when they were playing the 'skins ('05 game regular season game - and playoff game, for that matter - was memorable, wasn't it?) - it's just an impression I've gotten (right or wrong).

Archived