Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Do you believe the people that have the most, have "earned" it?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Simple question. Have the "have's" in this country truly earned what they have? The "elitists," the upper echelon? Do they deserve how they live? Many people in this country scrape by check to check, barely able to make ends meet, and others have so much that it's embarrassing. Do you think the financial "system" works. I've had a rough day, I'm pretty pissed off, and I'd like to know what people really think.

Yes, I believe that the vast majority have earned it. Of course there are some of the hereditary successes, but their froefathers also had a point where they too earned it.

Those that want want those folks have need to work for it too, along with having a focused mind set and a little bit of good fortune.

(You should do a poll!)

Not at all

I say there are many in the upper middle class that have "earned it"

There are a few in the super elite that have, but the vast majority of them were either born into wealth, had the proper connections, or were just very lucky to be born in the mid 1950s

Then my next question is...How do we fix this?

uh oh, I was oposite of SHF....never a good sign. LOL

LOL.

In the past 18 months my views have changed on this. Wall St has bought the government, and now the worst is emerging in America, big time super huge business owning the gov't (see the Reserve, Federal)

Once that happens, the rules of the game get stacked against those who don't have the means to play

A good book that has certainly changed my opinion a bit is "Outliers" by Gladwell, which Zoony recommended.

Success is a lot more then just hard work and talent, there is quite a bit of circumstance and luck involved

You don't. You find your niche in life and make the most of it :)

You can't worry about the fact that Paris Hilton is lucky enough to be the daughter of a hotel tycoon. You just mind your own business and do your thing

We tax them at a vastly higher rate and institute inheritance taxes to get a major cut.

Oh wait,we already do that:silly:

Put em up against a wall and shoot them...It worked out well elsewhere

I went with complicated, but yes

You cant "fix" it. Its human nature for whoever has earned wealth to share it with their children. Also, when a friend and a complete stranger are both applying to the same job, who would you give it to?

You can earn it, but its much harder without the right connections. Being born into it is just lucky.

the way wealth is distributed in this country

Personally, I dont think any wealth should be distributed in any way. But you cant really call inheritance distribution can you?

Think of those who are the richest people in America. I'd bet that the majority started with little and made it big later.

Walmart, Microsoft, Apple, etc.

Simple question. Have the "have's" in this country truly earned what they have? The "elitists," the upper echelon? Do they deserve how they live? Many people in this country scrape by check to check, barely able to make ends meet, and others have so much that it's embarrassing. Do you think the financial "system" works. I've had a rough day, I'm pretty pissed off, and I'd like to know what people really think.

The fact that you conflated people with money with "elitists" is a mistake in my mind but hey, vent if it's healthy.

I personally don't understand envy of what someone else has got (no matter how they came by it---if it was legal). It gets you nowhere lamenting another person's station in life.

Now to your question: people who have earned it, with the exception of familial wealth, have almost always earned their spot. I guess I'll never understand class and wealth envy. Instead of being pissed off at people that have earned their way, I would much rather emulate or be inspired by them.

I feel there are probably a good amount of "elitists" that have earned everything they have. But I'm sure a few got where they are because of their parents or grandparents. Likewise, there are a few of the "poor" who work their butts off everyday but still don't have much. But their are some who are poor because they are just too lazy to care.

If you're a self made person, YOU'VE EARNED IT!!!

Sure, but how many "self made" people are there, that are totally self made

Lets go with Dan Snyder for example

In 1990, he was a total business failure, 3 million dollars in debt and done.

He then finds someone to invest in another scheme of his, while at the same time the stock market in America is taking off.

He rides this huge wave, hits it big and then sells out in 1999.

Perfect timing both in getting in and out

Now based on how he has operated his other businesses (Redskins, Six Flags etc), I am not sure if he is a business success based on hard work and talent, or more so rode the wave at the right time and got out at an even better time

Had JKC passed away in 2001, would Dan Snyder have been in position to purchase the team?

Personally, I dont think any wealth should be distributed in any way. But you cant really call inheritance distribution can you?

Think of those who are the richest people in America. I'd bet that the majority started with little and made it big later.

Walmart, Microsoft, Apple, etc.

Microsoft and Apple are too good examples

Quick question SS. What years were Paul Allen, Steve Jobs and Bill Gates born in?

You don't. You find your niche in life and make the most

of it :)

In other words accept that you and most everybody else is getting ****ed over.

You can't worry about the fact that Paris Hilton is lucky enough to be the daughter of a hotel tycoon. You just mind your own business and do your thing

that sounds a lot like "live within your means." To me, "live with in your means" always sounded a lot like accept that you are a peasant. I'm not in the mood for rational advice today, lol.

LOL.

In the past 18 months my views have changed on this. Wall St has bought the government, and now the worst is emerging in America, big time super huge business owning the gov't (see the Reserve, Federal)

Once that happens, the rules of the game get stacked against those who don't have the means to play

A good book that has certainly changed my opinion a bit is "Outliers" by Gladwell, which Zoony recommended.

Success is a lot more then just hard work and talent, there is quite a bit of circumstance and luck involved

You don't. You find your niche in life and make the most of it :)

I think we are closer in view than I suspected then.

I'm against any and all corporate welfare, along with any other type of wealth distribution.

If this thread is asking more about corp. welfare, then I do believe it needs to be "fixed".

But if it's speaking more about individual wealth, foks who happen to be wealthy out of deed or family, then I disagree about the "fixing"

It's important to distinguish between the two though.

In other words accept that you and most everybody else is getting ****ed over.

LOL. Look, there is a reason that there are very very few people at the top of the food chain. Most had talent and worked hard, but they also were in very great places to work on that talent (like Bill Gates happened to grow up next to the University of Washington, where they happened to have one of the few computers you could use to program with in the 1960s in the US)

99.9 percent of us either never had the ability, or simply are not in the right place at the right time

But if it's speaking more about individual wealth, foks who happen to be wealthy out of deed or family, then I disagree about the "fixing"

It's important to distinguish between the two though.

I agree. As much as I can't stand Paris Hilton, I can't blame her for taking advantage of her family's wealth. And I don't think the Hilton family should be punished for having a dumbass daughter, granddaughter whatever

Gosh, no idea (though I suspect a joke might be coming?)

Paul Allen-1953

Steve Jobs-1955

Bill Gates-1955

Bill Joy (founder of Sun Microsystems)-1954

Archived