Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Personal Favorite Redskins Season

OK, this is a weird question but cut me some slack because it IS mid July.

I am wondering which Redskins' season was your favorite. Not necessarily the best one they've had or anything, but the one that you remember the most fondly.

Mine would be the 1992 season. I just enjoyed the whole feeling of following the Skins through their attempt to repeat. They had injuries and still made the playoffs and won a game before finally losing to the 49ers on a fumble.

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

1991- the only Super Bowl team I really remember. Just the excitement of that season gets me pumped

Most every season was exciting when I was a kid, but as my expectations grew, I'd have to say the playoff years. '72 was real special.

But '01 was great for me because I made my little pilgrimage to Carlisle and just felt closer to the players than I ever had. It turned out to be a crappy year, but it started on a fine note for me.

This year is tough. I can't get up to training camp and I had such high expectations of Spurrier last year that limping in at 7-9 really hurt.

1969, 1972 and 1982

1969: Vince Lombardi's arrival changed an organization that was so accustomed to fizziling down the stretch and in key games. It was fitting as the merger of both the old NFL and AFL was near. His timing led to a better appreciation of the Washington Redskins from day one.

1972: George Allen took the torch from Lombardi (skipping Austin) ignited a team made of FA's and holdovers to prove he could make it happen again, as he did in L. A. Even going further than his old LA Rams, reaching the Superbowl. His teams would linger as a threat each year he coached from 1971 until his departure from the Redskins.

1982: A season made of dreams, characters, turmoil (strike), and intrique. Ernest Hemingway, Steven King and Agatha Christie had nothing on this storied team. The "Lottery" setup for the playoffs was due to a strke shortened season. Only the strong could survive such a season. The actual teams vying for spots had already had legendary playoffs and Superbowls before. From Minnesota, to Dallas, to Miami, Pittsburgh, Oakland, Kansas City and Los Angeles. Washington rose like cream and stormed their way to the Superbowl on the back of the Hogs, big John Riggins and the play action of Joe Thiesmann, the Smurfs and Fun Bunch, with an opportunistic defense. Their coach, Joe Gibbs would be forever enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame and he would go on to win 2 more SB victories!

1991 for me. That team didn't have some of the characters of the 80's teams (Riggins, JoeyT) but they were the epitome of what a TEAM should be.

They dominated that season and were within one poor performance (Dallas ... of course) and what could have been an easy victory (Philly when they sat their starter to finish the reg. season) from going undefeated. You don't hear much about that, but they were as close to undefeated as any team since moving to a 16 game season.

Since i wasn't much of a skins fan when they won the superbowls.

I would have to say '99. What a great season that was..

Hey Tom Remember the 55-10 whooping you took in 99'

The 49ners OT game when Centers caught the winning catch!

Beating the Lions in a Wild Card playoff

Albert Connel's game against the Jags

And i'm not sure about this one if it was 99' or not. But Westbrook winning Catch in OT over the Cardnials.

And of course the botchesd FG against TB! :(

I would have to say the season where we won 10 straight with a record of 10-0..It was when I was in 7th grade and my dad got me a great shirt that had all the oppenents in a pile, great graphics...with a Indian reigning on top.

82 and 91 for me.

92 was probably my favorite non-SB year, and probably Gibbs' best year as a coach. He kept that seriously injury-depleted team together with chewing gum and scotch tape and got us a fumble away from the NFC Championship. 20-17 over Dallas that year is probably my favorite regular season game ever. (Anyone got it on tape? :) )

Definitely 1991. We ran through the league in amazing fashion that season.

Some reasons why I'll never forget the 91 season:

- Three straight home game shutouts to open the season.

- The best Monday Night Football game(IN MY OPINION) in Redskin's history. We beat the Boys in their home, 33-31 on the foot of Chip Lohmiller.(I got the game on tape!!)

- The famous "God Has the Redskins in his pool" game versus the Oilers. Houston's kicker, Ian Howfield missed the FG that would've won the game for them. Chip won it for us in OT. That Houston kicker would later attempt suicide after getting cut.

- That 56-17 BLOWOUT of the Falcon. It was the Rypien aerial show. The Best aerial show that I've ever witnessed. The Falcons were getting blown out so bad, they decided to put their rookie QB in the game. His name was Brett Farve.

- The seat cushion playoff game versus the Falcons in the rain. We literally RAN THEM OUT OF DC with our ground game. Joe Gibbs at one point called fifteen straight running plays.

- And of course the Super Bowl win over the Bills. :cheers:

Originally posted by fuji869

1987, Joe Gibbs took such a scrappy Redskin Team to the NFL's Promised Land! :cheers:

Who could forget the replacement players?

Anthony Allen - A scab WR that still holds the team record in receiving yards in a game with 255.

Tony Robinson - The scab QB, who was on release from jail, led us to a 13-7 triumph over the Boys, who had virtually all their starters.

Well I was 11 years old for the 91-92 superbowl year. My biggest memory besides the SB victory was the playoff game vs. Atlanta, and MC Hammer showed up at RFK and in the pregame he was talking so much trash about how the Falcons were gonna shock the world, so watching them get literally run over was so great.

I'd pick the '99 season as that was the best season the Skins have had since I have been old enough to put total dedication into the Skins.

I'd name the hype going into '00 as the biggest hype EVER. I bought into EVERY pre-season fluff piece. I figured I could dust off the trophy for the team, hahaha. I thought after the great campaign in '99, and with all the signings we would UNSTOPPABLE......hahah boy was I ever humilated.

Archived