Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NY Daily News: Brandon Jacobs: I'll play better, or I'll quit

Big Blue Joe

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2009/10/jacobs-ill-play-better-or-ill.html

Brandon Jacobs is averaging only 3.4 yards per carry, and his apparent lack of power to the hole has drawn a ton of criticism this week. But Jacobs isn’t worried. He doesn’t give a (expletive deleted) about what any of us think.

And he’s so confident that his numbers will improve, he just told Brandon Tierney on ESPN Radio in New York (1050 AM) that if they don’t, he’ll retire at the end of the year.

“If I finish the season averaging (3.4 yards) a carry, I won’t play next year. I’ll be done,” Jacobs said. “That’s how much I believe in my ability.”

Hopefully, he doesn't get hurt on the first snap of the game this Sunday.:fingersx:

And you're basing this off of 3 games?

Not at all. I've watched every Giants game in his career. He doesn't have much quickness between the tackles and little acceleration. If you get a piece of him at the line, he's done. He only goes north and south. When he is dangerous is when he can hit a hole and get to the LBs and secondary untouched. Otherwise, he's not much of a threat.

Bradshaw is extremely shifty and can find daylight when it looks like nothing's there. Personally, I'm more afraid when Bradshaw's in the game than when Jacobs is.

God he's annoying. Everything he says, everything he does... annoying.

I'm not certain his novelty as a player has run its course yet, but it certainly will within the next two seasons. Guys like him have very short careers no matter how many sound bites they offer the local media.

Alright, Brandon. Get back to shadow boxing at practice so you can show everyone how fired up you are.

• 1 month later...

In his last two games, BJ has ran for 66 yards on 23 carries. For the year, he averages a paltry 3.9 yards per carry.

I can't remember anyone in recent history who has parlayed having a big ****ing mouth and very average performance into a big contract. The worst thing for Giants fans is that big tall runners like Jacobs wear down really quickly in the NFL. You have seen the best of the guy and he is only going to get worse, year to year.

In his last two games, BJ has ran for 66 yards on 23 carries. For the year, he averages a paltry 3.9 yards per carry.

I can't remember anyone in recent history who has parlayed having a big ****ing mouth and very average performance into a big contract. The worst thing for Giants fans is that big tall runners like Jacobs wear down really quickly in the NFL. You have seen the best of the guy and he is only going to get worse, year to year.

I still think the guy can be a great payer but I keep saying outloud last night that he just doesn't look like the same guy. He used to run very decisively with speed and incredible power. He looked like a guy just going through the motions last night. No speed, he actually looked very slow, and no power. Does he have some type of injury because if thats the best he's got, he will be out of the league in 2 years or made into a blocking fullback by somebody.

In his last two games, BJ has ran for 66 yards on 23 carries. For the year, he averages a paltry 3.9 yards per carry..
In the 4 games prior to that, Jacobs was the sole consistent bright spot on the team. While seemingly everyone on the team forgot how to play (including the OL), he had 264 yards on 50 carries for a healthy 5.2 ypc. The problem he's had this year is that the Giants have a lot of plays designed for a back like Derrick Ward. Things like shotgun draws and stretch plays which Jacobs just doesn't have the stop and start acceleration for.

Prior to the Saints game, the Giants finally realized this, and all those plays became Bradshaw's duty. Bradshaw was ineffective because he's been nursing a broken foot for half the season, but the plays were better suited to him. Unfortunately, Bradshaw got hurt even worse last week. And now Jacobs is back to running plays that don't really fit him. He's not running less decisively this year, he's being given more plays where his responsibility is to be patient and pick his spots. Which doesn't make a lot of sense for a 6'4" 265 RB. But now that Danny Ware can't be trusted to hold onto the ball, I guess Jacobs is just going to have to get used to them.

In the 4 games prior to that, Jacobs was the sole consistent bright spot on the team. While seemingly everyone on the team forgot how to play (including the OL), he had 264 yards on 50 carries for a healthy 5.2 ypc. The problem he's had this year is that the Giants have a lot of plays designed for a back like Derrick Ward. Things like shotgun draws and stretch plays which Jacobs just doesn't have the stop and start acceleration for.

Prior to the Saints game, the Giants finally realized this, and all those plays became Bradshaw's duty. Bradshaw was ineffective because he's been nursing a broken foot for half the season, but the plays were better suited to him. Unfortunately, Bradshaw got hurt even worse last week. And now Jacobs is back to running plays that don't really fit him. He's not running less decisively this year, he's being given more plays where his responsibility is to be patient and pick his spots. Which doesn't make a lot of sense for a 6'4" 265 RB. But now that Danny Ware can't be trusted to hold onto the ball, I guess Jacobs is just going to have to get used to them.

Oh man don't even talk to me about those draw plays, that was the most aggravating thing last night, it was so obvious everytime they ran it.

I wouldn't even fault Jacobs for him being ineffective this year. The OLine is not blocking for him like they have been in the past. And they have even come out and admitted as much.

Blocking for Jacobs and blocking for Bradshaw are two different things. And it hasn't been a problem up until now. Something is going on with the OLine that I don't think anyone is aware of. Unfortunately, not even them.

Archived