Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fire Zorn, Hire Danny Smith?

hunterx

Crazy as it sounds, but this guy has been pacing up and down the sideline with Zorn every game since last year. He is basically coaching Zorn on when to call timeouts, when to throw the red flag. We've also seen how fired up he can get, which is a very big motivating factor for players on special teams.

If we fire Zorn, I would like to see Danny Smith get promoted as the "interim" head coach. Let Sherman Smith be the coordinate that he already is, except this time let him call plays. Let Danny Smith run around firing people up.

Who else? If they were to fire Zorn, you're looking at hiring someone from within, at least for the interim? There's no offensive coordinator. You're going to promote Blache, who's defense just got burned all day by a rookie quarterback? At least Smith seems to understand the basics of managing a game.

Wasn't the Ravens head coach the special teams guy for Philly before he got the nod?

On an interim basis, I don't see a better choice really. Its not even a situation where he can coach himself into full time status. You fire Zorn to send the message to the fans that things are not going to stay like this, put Danny in with the total understanding that Shannihan is what we are going to try and get. If you could get Shannihan to agree to join us next year today I would do it. He's who we gotta get and we gotta give him full "grocery buying" power as well. I'd lt go of Vinny as well. These are the kinds of moves Snyder has to make to just calm this fan base down a little.

You won't see a new head coach this year. If (when) Zorn is fired during the season (if not this week), then you have to promote from within. Since the current Head Coach is also the offensive coordinator, you can't promote Sherman Smith to the position. Danny Smith knows the organization, knows the personnel and has been around the game long enough to simply manage it. That's all we need, just a manager to manage the game. Make the right choices, not get overwhelmed by calling plays and teaching a QB at the same time.

He's the best candidate as an interim coach right now.

The other options is for Zorn to give up play calling duties to Sherman Smith. I don't see his ego allowing him to do that, though.

The other question, if Zorn stays what and who do we hire next year. Yes there are coaches with great resumes but do we want one of them? Will they be hungry? Or do we get a hot assistant. Like a Rex Ryan or John Harbaugh?

I'm not sure what to go after.

Shannihan is who Id like but the truth is Dallas has a better situation and they will want him too so I suspect that's where he is ending up which leaves most likely Holmgren or Gruden - neither of which is the answer here.

Cowher would be great but I don't see that happening. Let's not forget we couldn't give this job away two years ago, that's why we ended up with Zorn in the first place. Oh, yea, by the way next time we need to let the new head coach pick his own staff.

Archived