Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where to go in Hawaii?

Slateman

Recently, I have been shopping for a car.Now that I have narrowed it down and will make a purchase soon, its time to figure out where to go with it . . .

Reason I want to get a car is, frankly, I want to see as much of this island as possible. I'm in the Marines and stationed in Hawaii. I spent most of last year simply bumming around the barracks. I would rather not waste any more time like that.

What should I do before I leave? Frankly, I really don't see myself ever coming back here. I've done the Arizona Memorial and such. Been up to North Shore, but only a couple times.

Go snorkeling in Hanauma Bay...heaven...I never want to leave when I'm there...Go to the 'Alaskan's Club' in Lahaina...or any lounge there lol...the Na Pali Coast of Kuaia...the Botanical Garden of the big isalnd...hell, it's all awesme...been there many times and it's still my fave, tourists and all...

Go to Schofield Barracks, drive up to Kole Kole Pass. There's a ladder inside the cross and it's an awesome view up there. Drive down through Lualualei Naval Res. That's a real curvy road with cool scenery. When you get off the Naval Res. make a right on the main Hwy and there's a state park out there. There's also a beach that the military owns around Makaha or Waianae.

You can find some cool stuff at the flea market at Aloha Stadium on the weekends.

The Missouri is moored right next to the Arizona. If you haven't already gone on the Missouri it's quite something. Right there the beginning and the end of WWII. See where MacArthor, Nimitz and the representative of the Emporror signed the documents of Japan's surrender and formally ended WWII.

Go snorkeling in Hanauma Bay...heaven...I never want to leave when I'm there...Go to the 'Alaskan's Club' in Lahaina...or any lounge there lol...the Na Pali Coast of Kuaia...the Botanical Garden of the big isalnd...hell, it's all awesme...been there many times and it's still my fave, tourists and all...

I went to Hanauma Bay earlier this year and was dissappointed. It might have just been the day I was there, but the water was pretty cloudy and the snorkeling was pretty poor. Don't get me wrong the fish were beutiful, but you almost had to swim directly over them in 4-5 feet of water to be able to see anything. It was my first time to Hawaii so I'm not sure what is to be expected there.

Likewise they tell you not to step on the coral, but all the fish are in the coral, and the coral makes the water very shallow.

The best snorkling I've ever experienced is much closer to home in the Caribbiean..... The Bath's on Virgin Gorda, The Indians off Virdin Gorda, or Christmas Cove on St James. Crystal clear water, you could read a newspaper from 40 feet away underwater, and they're US parks.

You can swim in 4-6 feet of water like Hanauma Bay, or you can turn your head and look into the moderately deaper, to very deep water, all the while seeing the different fish which inhabit all the bio niches.

Rather than the two, threee fish you could see at a time at Hanauma Bay, you could literally see hundreds of fish at once.

I would also go to the North Shore, The waves are as big as buildings there and it's really something to see the surfers there.

Again when I went it was like a gulf beach waves..... Think of choppy bathtub.

Sushi was excellent in Hawaii, try the Fatty Tuna, it's a local specialty and is better than what we get here.

You need a car in Hawaii...I am trying to get back there. I was stationed there from 97-2001. Hopefully I will be back by the end of the year, I am looking for a job out there.

I was just out there in March on Vacation here is what I did

Polynesian Cultural center

Hawaii Shark Encounters north Shore

Break neck beach

Hunama (sp) bay You have to get past the rocks....that is rock not coral, the coral is dead. if you go out by the pipe on the right side you may be able to see some sea turtles. If you walk around the left side you can get in the "toilet bowl"

Paradise Cove Luau

Hawaiian Waters Adventure park

Dave and Busters by Ala Moana

Hanging in Waikiki

Meeting beautiful women

The lost set and that ranch

Go to Kauai: Na Poli Coast (sp) there is some huge Canyon there too, caves and the Fantasy Island Water Fall.

Go to the Big island....Make sure you fly into HILO not KONA like I did. We drove over an hour to get to the Volcano National Park, which was cool as hell. Then we drove to the Lava flow but the park didn't open till 5pm and we had to get back to KONA to fly back. Hilo is like 10 minutes away from the Lava Flow. Also stay 2 days so you can check out the black sand beach and the green sand beach as well.

Get your Scuba diving license.

Learn to Surf/body board.

Get away from K-bay, that place is depressing!

Hunama (sp) bay You have to get past the rocks....that is rock not coral, the coral is dead. if you go out by the pipe on the right side you may be able to see some sea turtles. If you walk around the left side you can get in the "toilet bowl"

I knew I was doing something wrong. I started out shallow right, and couldn't see anything. Then ended up going out the left where the (rocks/coral) were. I agree with you all the coral was dead and they were really rocks, but they make you watch that movie before you swimm and tell you not to stand on the coral, and it's almost impossible to comply and see the fish on the left side of the bay...

Left looking into the ocean standing on the beach.

I didn't get out on the right, I'll have to try that if I ever get back there.

I found it pretty crowded. We got their early, it was a little cold, but the place got crowded pretty fast...

The highlight of that day was we saw a Mongoose in the Parking lot, which was pretty cool.

I knew I was doing something wrong. I started out shallow right, and couldn't see anything. Then ended up going out the left where the (rocks/coral) were. I agree with you all the coral was dead and they were really rocks, but they make you watch that movie before you swimm and tell you not to stand on the coral, and it's almost impossible to comply and see the fish on the left side of the bay...

Left looking into the ocean standing on the beach.

I didn't get out on the right, I'll have to try that if I ever get back there.

I found it pretty crowded. We got their early, it was a little cold, but the place got crowded pretty fast...

The highlight of that day was we saw a Mongoose in the Parking lot, which was pretty cool.

Honestly, they should block they place off for the next 100 year and seed it with corals that were indigienous to Hawaii. Its a beautiful place, but tourists ruined it. If you go there during low tide its almost impossible to not get on the rocks.

If you get past the rock/coral there is a big mushroom shaped rock about 20 feet down...I saw a sea turtles there a couple times. Yeah up close it is hard to see the firsh because the waves stir up a lot of sand and debris. you have to really get further out to see something clearly. Once you get over the rocks it is nice. Snorkling in Kauai was much like snorkling in the carribean. You have to get to the less traveled places in Hawaii.

The BEST snorkling I have ever seen was in Djibouti, Africa....I was at a beach which was hard to get to and the reef was AMAZING, I saw giant clams, huge coral heads, sea Anenomies that were at least 18 inches across with clown fish in them and best of all....a whale shark (not by the reef).

a whale shark (not by the reef).

Whale Sharks are pretty rare and they dive very deep, it's amaizing you saw one of those giants swimming...

I went whale watching in Bora Bora, not to be confused with Tora Bora.... The tour before ours ( day before ) saw three blue whales. Our tour saw none. So halfway into the tour they changed it into a swim with the sharks event... We were closest to the gate, so I like an idiot hurried my wife along as we jumped into the water... My wife and I are swimming with the huge 8-9 foot sharks for several minutes before I realize nobody else is getting in the water. None of the tour guides, none of the other tourists. they're just watching us seeing who get's eaten first. I felt like the biggest morron.... Can't believe how stupid I was....

My wife has this photo of me with a huge shark swimming passed me from that trip.... A lesson, you have to be careful swimming in foreign countries. Their idea of safety and responsibility are different than ours.

Here is a very specific answer.

Go up to the North Shore.

When you get to Haliewa, turn right on Kamehameha highway.

Go 1.5 miles. Stop just before Pohaku Loa Way.

Walk down to the beach.

I guarantee there will be at least a dozen sea turtles swimming in the surf, right there. Join them.

Pull seaweed off the rocks. Drop it in front of sea turtles' faces and they will happily eat it.

You win.

Archived