Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cooley Watch - On Pace For Record Season

zoony

After 2 games Chris Cooley is on pace to put up some gaudy numbers.

112 catches, 1208 yards, and 8TD's.

If he keeps this pace he will have to be included in the conversation for best Tight End in the league. So far this year only Antonio Gates has more receiving yards, and Cooley is tied for 1st in catches (14).

We gotta keep running the seam routes to Cooley when he is matched up 1 on 1

agreed. He's deadly at that and settling into a zone right between LBer's.

What concerns me is that teams will eventually start putting a CB on him instead of a LB.

I'd rather see us spread the ball around more and win more games.

Cooley has caught 9 first downs this year. It's only week 2. Clutch.

I'd like to see us focus more on him, especially in the red zone. No way he drops that pass like Sellars did yesterday.

that would certainly be the conventional logic. not sure you can say that with this team, however.
Well we were able to spread the ball around yesterday. JC hit Moss, ARE, Kelly, & Cooley multiple times, and got at least one pass to Sellers (in addition to the drop), CP, and even Davis, though granted the Davis completion didn't do much for us. So it'll be even more difficult than it already is for them to cover all of these guys if they're using a corner on Cooley.

I always root for Cooley, and think he's a Top 5 TE in the NFL.

However, he'll never be number 1 to me, until I stop praying after he catches the ball, since 1 out of every 3 runs after the catch he fumbles. I have no idea how the team isn't working with him on ball control, because I would've done it 2 years ago when it first started happening.

Cooley has caught 9 first downs this year. It's only week 2. Clutch.

I'd like to see us focus more on him, especially in the red zone. No way he drops that pass like Sellars did yesterday.

EXACTLY............Where are the passes to Cooley in the redzone (from a qb). Playaction, crossing through the muck. That's MONEY

I always root for Cooley, and think he's a Top 5 TE in the NFL.

However, he'll never be number 1 to me, until I stop praying after he catches the ball, since 1 out of every 3 runs after the catch he fumbles. I have no idea how the team isn't working with him on ball control, because I would've done it 2 years ago when it first started happening.

1 in 3 is a fumble? He has 1 fumble this year on 14 catches. He does fumble now and then and that has to stop, but lets not get carried away.

agreed. He's deadly at that and settling into a zone right between LBer's.

What concerns me is that teams will eventually start putting a CB on him instead of a LB.

This is even more 'pick your poison' though. Very few CBs are physical enough to handle a TE. They can't jam them, can't go through them for the ball, and tackling becomes a big problem. If Zorn starts seeing this, I want more CC split out wide. Put that 190 lb corner on an island, and see if he can handle Chris on a quick slant that goes for 20+ once the CB bounces off him.

The only CB I remember handling TEs well was Bobby Taylor vs Shockey in his rookie year.

Archived