Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We NEED a new RB

lovemaskins

!st, yes i'd take take reggie bush over portis. 2nd, excuse me, wrong guy, bit yes I'd take Leon Washington over Clinton Portis. 3rd, I'm just voicing my opinion which is why i'm on this site. If you don't like, you can SHUT THE **** UP! How's that?:hysterical:

Well you obviously don't know much about football if you think that Jericho Cotchrey is a RB. Leon Washington is a scat back, and is only good in certain situations. Portis is easily a top 10 back in the NFL, people need to stop complaining about every damn part of the team.

Portis is not the issue..it's the play calling.

That's not the point of the thread. We know the game was not lost because of his game play. The point is dude has NO acceleration and he is leaving points on the board whenever he has a wide open run and gets walked down by a DE. That IS a problem if you have suspect playcalling, mediocre QB. He's is leaving points on the board. Even if he didnt score on that run, he shouldve at least got 50 yards on that run.

Hell, we can keep CP and get a new #2 who actually has speed. But as a #1 RB (IMO), you HAVE to have a back who can finish those type of runs.

CP got 16 carries today...he needs the ball 21 times or more per game, not enough in what was a fairly close game once hunter smith scored before the half. They only went to him about 8 times in the 2nd half and the one time they should have gone to him 3-6-NYG 7 3rd qtr(1:16) 17-J.Campbell sacked at NYG 9 for -2 yards (91-J.Tuck) too damn predictable. Set up by the int of DHall. 3rd and 6 on the 7 and there was a huge gap on the left side. Giants playing pass the whole time. I liked the gutsy call with the fake fg but here was another chance to get one over on Tom Coughlin who is pretty much always been a conservative type of coach. I think even if the LB is able to reach portis hes going to have enough for the 1st and even if he doesn't and say he gets 4, its now 4th and 2 on the 3rd and we should go for it. I formation..campbell under center, fake to the up back and campbell runs it in to the corner for the td! We dont get it then we got them starting at around their 3 yl and let's really see what this defense is made of. Roll the damn dice!

A front office change is certainly in order. We always wait tooooo long so see where we need to improve. We JUST upgraded the Dline after we were 28th in sacks. Shoulda been done 3 years ago, Oline shoulda been 2 years ago. But we always want to make the big splash.

We need a complete team overhaul. The object is to make the playoffs and ultimately the Superbowl. I don't see us anywhere close to either. Our offense needs a lot of things and RB is definitely at the top if the list right after QB. If Portis looked as slow as he did today how's he gonna look in week 14. Next year he'll look worse.

Hell, even San Diego knew LT wasn't getting any younger and therefore they drafted Darren Sproles. It's gonna lengthen LT's career. But our front office is too incompetent to assess this team and that's why a bunch of Redskins' fan are sitting around ****ing and moaning instead of celebrating a win or a least have some sort of optimism.

But, alas we're owned by Dan and ran by Vinnie and coached by Zorn.:helmet:

We need a better compliment than Betts. Look at the Ravens bringing in Rice or SD with Sproles. A nice 1-2 punch is starting to dominate the NFL. Even teams using 3 RB's is working out well. Why do the Skins just continue with Betts and Portis? Lets get us a Matt Forte or Ray Rice. Eagles and Cowboys were smart enough to do it with McCoy and Felix Jones. Change it up and get an explosive back!

Well you obviously don't know much about football if you think that Jericho Cotchrey is a RB. Leon Washington is a scat back, and is only good in certain situations. Portis is easily a top 10 back in the NFL, people need to stop complaining about every damn part of the team.

I know a lot about a few things and a little about a lot of things. You pick! Portis is a top 10 back to us, cause we're homers. And as I corrected myself, no Jericho Cotchery is a WR, but the point is we need some burst in the backfield. I have seen Washington make people miss and break long gains, CONSISTENTLY! I've not seen that from Portis in at least two years.

Pefect example, Emmitt Smith vs. Barry Sanders. Emmitt always had gaping holes while Barry didn't. You don't always have perfect conditions in the NFL, and therefore have to be good enough to create sometimes. I don't see anymore "create" ability in Portis, and therefore it's time for an upgrade. But, hey let's treat our RB position like we do every other position, and wait till it's blatantly obvious like we did with the D-line. :cool2:

We need a better compliment than Betts. Look at the Ravens bringing in Rice or SD with Sproles. A nice 1-2 punch is starting to dominate the NFL. Even teams using 3 RB's is working out well. Why do the Skins just continue with Betts and Portis? Lets get us a Matt Forte or Ray Rice. Eagles and Cowboys were smart enough to do it with McCoy and Felix Jones. Change it up and get an explosive back!

Nah, don't tell em', Portis easily has 5 good years left. Hell, Betts is the eventual replacement. And mason will then be the heir apparent.:hysterical:

I agree 100% there! Bett's does nothing for us. Just take a look at the jets combo of Thomas Jones and Leon Washington, the game today TJ 20 carries 107 yards 2 td, LW 15 carries 60 yards! Oh yeah on Thomas Jones is old man hes like 31 and cp is 28. All this BS about the age of some of these guys is blown out of proportion in terms of output. CP 28 LT 30 TJ 31 and all of them still put up big numbers but a young back of course we need just for the simple reason of injury, but we can utilize both and right now we aint getting anything with Bett's.

I agree 100% there! Bett's does nothing for us. Just take a look at the jets combo of Thomas Jones and Leon Washington, the game today TJ 20 carries 107 yards 2 td, LW 15 carries 60 yards! Oh yeah on Thomas Jones is old man hes like 31 and cp is 28. All this BS about the age of some of these guys is blown out of proportion in terms of output. CP 28 LT 30 TJ 31 and all of them still put up big numbers but a young back of course we need just for the simple reason of injury, but we can utilize both and right now we aint getting anything with Bett's.

Wow, just an awesome post. That's all I've been trying to say. We need another RB. I never said Portis should be cut, but questioning Portis or his ability/or lack thereof is sacrilege on this board. And it's rediculous.

portis is definitely slowing down a little bit. but i think he can still produce big numbers for us this year and next year. we definitely need to look to RBs this offseason in the draft... or must i predict free agency? esp. with an uncapped season coming up haha. maybe then well finally be thankful we got d. snyder

http://www.nfl.com/videos/washington-redskins/09000d5d812932d4/Clinton-Portis-34-yd-run

Watch the video for yourself. His is caught by Osi. A defensive end. Yea Osi had an angle on him but the play has to go to the house once that safety gets blocked. That shot from the back of the play shows just how much daylight Portis is looking at.

Agreed. Thank you for the clip.

Do you others honestly believe CP is as fast as he was here?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GNPmwhQZy8

It seems like the curse of the Meadowlands or something that freezes our team and takes away their spark or something. To me, many of our players seemed sluggish-even Cooley.

Wow, just an awesome post. That's all I've been trying to say. We need another RB. I never said Portis should be cut, but questioning Portis or his ability/or lack thereof is sacrilege on this board. And it's rediculous.
Yeeeeeah, wasn't actually talking about what YOU had posted it was more directed at the many posts by other's and in other threads bashing his age etc...

I know a lot about a few things and a little about a lot of things. You pick! Portis is a top 10 back to us, cause we're homers. And as I corrected myself, no Jericho Cotchery is a WR, but the point is we need some burst in the backfield. I have seen Washington make people miss and break long gains, CONSISTENTLY! I've not seen that from Portis in at least two years.

Pefect example, Emmitt Smith vs. Barry Sanders. Emmitt always had gaping holes while Barry didn't. You don't always have perfect conditions in the NFL, and therefore have to be good enough to create sometimes. I don't see anymore "create" ability in Portis, and therefore it's time for an upgrade. But, hey let's treat our RB position like we do every other position, and wait till it's blatantly obvious like we did with the D-line. :cool2:

Good points, I've posted about this before. CP is a lot bigger now than he was in his Denver days. The Joe Gibbs days ran him into the ground. He put on extra bulk for the pounding. His listed playing weight is 223lbs. His best weight is 204-208. He's only 27-28 years old. But we do need a complimentary back. If we can get Clemsons CJ Spiller

as a third down back/second option, that would be great.

Good points, I've posted about this before. CP is a lot bigger now than he was in his Denver days. The Joe Gibbs days ran him into the ground. He put on extra bulk for the pounding. His listed playing weight is 223lbs. His best weight is 204-208. He's only 27-28 years old. But we do need a complimentary back. If we can get Clemsons CJ Spiller

as a third down back/second option, that would be great.

Exactly, Clinton has been the only option and still is and today it showed. The same way Campbell is expected to produce despite pressure and poor Oline play, the RB is supposed to do the same. Another year of pounding like he took today, makes him slower and slower. And Betts, my goodness, I don't ever want to see him take another handoff.

But, Vinny will probably be like some of our fans and say, "It's the Oline fault, Clinton is fine." I may not be an NFL GM or scout but I know dropoff when I see it. The better run teams in the league know when they see it as well. Look at San Diego or Baltimore or Dallas or Philly or NY. I could go on. Why are we always the team behind the learning curve.

For example, I'm watching Green Bay vs. Chicago right now and both teams are generating massive pressure. Just like we saw today and yet Forte and Grant are beating those said bltizes and pressures with pure athletic ability. The cuts these guys are making Portis doesn't have. Sure he'll make a guy miss here or there but consistent explosion, he doesn't have. Neither does Betts. Mason may have a little but I'm not sold on him either.

Archived