Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins Insider; Rookie Orakpo converting Blache

WhoRUSupposed2Be

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/rookie-orakpo-converting-blach.html

Rookie Orakpo Converting Blache

You didn't expect Greg Blache to mince words, did you?

Here he is, just a couple of days away from the start of his sixth season with the Redskins, and he's got a 23-year-old rookie listed among his starters.

"Personally, I don't like rookies," says the defensive coordinator. "Don't trust rookies usually."

But Brian Orakpo is an exception. Orakpo, the team's first-round draft pick out of the University of Texas, will play his first regular-season game as a professional Sunday at the New York Giants, and Blache seems to have come to terms with the fact that a rookie is poised to make an impact on a defense that ranked fourth in the league last season.

"Out of all the rookies I've ever been around, Mike Brown would probably be the only other guy I could think of who had that type of savvy and maturity about him," Blache said. "I have no reservations about starting him. I'm only concerned with the speed of it all day that he'll see for the first time. As far as having a rookie start, I don't look at him as a regular rookie because of the maturity that he brings to the arena."

Shifting between strongside linebacker and defensive end, Orakpo played more preseason downs than any other starter. He had 15 tackles in four games, second only to safety Lendy Holmes in the preseason. But the offenses Orakpo saw in those four games won't be like what he sees Sunday.

Teams go conservative in the preseason, which doesn't give opposing defenses much tape to study. Still learning the linebacker slot - reading quarterbacks and dropping back into coverage - this could pose potential problems for Orakpo.

"I'm certain they're going to test him and challenge him to see if he's ready to play," Blache said. "But I think he's up to the task. I think they might be surprised what they see if they go after him."

With London Fletcher and Rocky McIntosh, Orakpo completes the lnebacker corps, but in pass russ situations, expect to see lined on the end.Though Orakpo showed more comfort with his hands down and coming off the edge, he did look increasingly better at the linebacker slot as the preseason progressed. Blache says that speaks to the rookie's maturity and his ability to take coaching. He's seen the same thing in fellow rookie Jeremy Jarmon.

"It's a subtle thing," Blache said. "When coach says something, you don't go all to pieces and get upset because your coach said something. You handle it maturely and say, 'Hey, that's going to help make me a better player, and it's going to help make us a better team.'

"They respond to things. They're able to learn things quicker and they adjust to things. They have a sense of things. Where a lot of rookies are wide-eyed and trying to be cool or do different things, the mature guys are here to play football. They understand it's a job for them now. They understand their role has changed from where they were in college and they accept that. I think that's the thing that makes a big difference, more than just an age thing or a suave thing. It's the ability to assimilate into a system."

[/Quote]

There comes a time when every man has to make a change about themselves. ;)

Blache says that speaks to the rookie's maturity and his ability to take coaching. He's seen the same thing in fellow rookie Jeremy Jarmon.

I'm pretty confident that Orakpo will be a monster come Sunday, but if we can get some production from Jeremy Jarmon.....that would be a huge bonus for our defense.

I'd prefer to see Orakpo spend his time at DE and not LB.

I don't want this to turn into another of these 'Orakpo shouldn't be a LB' threads, but if the d-line-- and Haynesworth in particular-- are able to shut down the run and force the Giants (and all our opponents) into a one-dimensional passing game, we will see Orakpo as a DE more often than not.

ugh.

blache has been very strict on his 'don't fall in love with a rookie, they'll break your heart' saying from a while back.

i hope this is an exception, because it looks like he's falling in love...

Gregg Williams had the same attitude, and the last rookie who started under Williams was Landry, and he performed pretty damn well as a rookie back in '07. I have a gut feeling Orakpo will be more than able to hold his own as a rookie like Landry did 2 years ago.

I love young, mature players like Jarmon, Kelly, Campbell, Horton, and Orakpo. True professionals that bring more to the team then just stats. Landry and DT could learn alot from these guys. These are the type of guys you can build around.

Actually I was wondering why Landry wasn't mentioned in this article. He was praising Landry as a rookie too. And Landry started right out the gate too. I know Landry's not in his dog house for anything.

I don't know what you're talking about when you say "Landry ... could learn a lot from these guys"

Actually I was wondering why Landry wasn't mentioned in this article. He was praising Landry as a rookie too. And Landry started right out the gate too. I know Landry's not in his dog house for anything.

I don't know what you're talking about when you say "Landry ... could learn a lot from these guys"

Was Blache praising Landry as a rookie? I honestly don't know, but I know Williams praised Landry and started him right out of the gate, which is something Williams didn't even do with Taylor, which made me think Williams was stricter on starting rookies than what Blache is.

Was Blache praising Landry as a rookie? I honestly don't know, but I know Williams praised Landry and started him right out of the gate, which is something Williams didn't even do with Taylor, which made me think Williams was stricter on starting rookies than what Blache is.

You're right, that was Williams (although I could be annoying and say that technically Blache had the title of Defensive Coordinator Landry's rookie year).

Archived