Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WashingtonTimes: We're Together.

WhoRUSupposed2Be

This was in the Breaking News Section posted by Bubba. I'm surprised no one bothered to post it in The Stadium.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10049040/We%27re-together

Nearly all of his teammates had returned to the locker room following a recent training camp practice, but Jason Campbell continued to grind, spending 30 minutes throwing passes and wrapping up his work by running sprints up and down the field in solitude.

He walked off the field alone.

Playing NFL quarterback in general - and quarterback for the Washington Redskins in particular - can feel like a lonely position. But Campbell is hardly a solo act as he prepares for his third season opener Sunday against the New York Giants.

He has his teammates and position coach, who believe he'll thrive by playing in the same offense for a second consecutive season. And most of all, he has the head coach in his corner.

The intriguing storyline for the Redskins this year is also the most important subplot: Coach Jim Zorn and Campbell are joined at the hip.

"I definitely feel that, and it's obvious for the most part because of everything that happened [this offseason]," Campbell said last week. "For us, we're together. ... Since I haven't been offered a contract, it's 'this year and then we'll see what happens.' "

If the Redskins do well, particularly on offense, Zorn and Campbell (whose contract expires after the season) will return in 2010 and erase the stench of a tumultuous offseason in which owner Dan Snyder twice tried to acquire a new quarterback.

Struggle and who knows what Snyder will do after surveying the wreckage? Jon Gruden and Colt McCoy, anyone?

The mighty efforts last spring by Snyder and front office chief Vinny Cerrato to acquire Jay Cutler and rookie Mark Sanchez failed, leaving Campbell 16 chances to prove to Snyder he's worth a new contract. Zorn has the same sample size to prove he can kick-start an offense that has failed to crack the top 10 in scoring since 1999.

The Redskins think they can make it work, that they're the team that started 6-2, not the team that limped home to an 8-8 finish. Veterans say enough of the constant start-overs - their belief in Zorn and Campbell is strong.

"I would hope that everybody stays because cohesiveness is huge in the NFL," tight end Chris Cooley said. "Guys that are on the same page with everything are important. To make a change like that would make it tough on everyone. It doesn't make it tough on just the coach and the quarterback. I would like to see us continue to build."

QB, coach always linked

They had been in place as the New York Giants' coach and quarterback for only one season, but when Bill Parcells and Phil Simms convened for training camp in 1984, they knew a repeat of the previous year's 3-12-1 record wouldn't be tolerated.

"We both said, 'Hey, are we going to be here next year or not?' " Simms recalled.

Things worked out for the Parcells-Simms Giants. They reached the postseason five of the next seven years, and Simms was MVP of Super Bowl XXI.

But for every situation that worked, there are dozens more that failed.

In his new book, "More Than A Game," former Baltimore Ravens coach Brian Billick wrote that from 1992 to 2001, 12 of 18 first-round quarterbacks were busts; none of the coaches of those 12 players had his job three years later.

Last year, Romeo Crennel (Cleveland), Lane Kiffin (Oakland), Jon Gruden (Tampa Bay), Herm Edwards (Kansas City) and Mike Nolan (San Francisco) were all fired in part because of shoddy quarterback play.

"The responsibilities are such with both positions, somebody has to take the fall, and the first guy is either the coach or the quarterback," Redskins backup quarterback Todd Collins said. "If a coach stakes his reputation on a guy and it doesn't work out, the owner says, 'You made that decision. You're gone, too.' "

Nine teams have new head coaches this year. Five of them - the Broncos, Chiefs, Lions, Buccaneers and Jets - acquired new quarterbacks for their coaches, creating an instant link.

Rare is the coach who survives missing with a first-round passer, like Tennessee's Jeff Fisher, whose franchise drafted Vince Young in 2006.

"That's the way it's always been," said Redskins offensive coordinator Sherman Smith, in his 24th year as player or coach. "Coaches figure the quarterback is the guy who will determine your success, so they're locked at the hip."

Zorn disputes the notion that he and Campbell's fates are connected; he's probably the only one who thinks that's the case.

"The head coach is always involved with protecting or criticizing his own guy," Zorn said. "It's probably because how a quarterback does during a season really has a lot to do how the team is going to do. I don't feel I have to link myself. I don't feel like I'm a lousy coach if Jason throws an interception, and I don't feel like I did it when he throws a touchdown pass either."

Zorn confident, comfortable

Zorn can relate to the emotions Campbell felt as the Redskins tried to replace him. Zorn was Seattle's starter from the team's inception in 1976 through the halfway point of the 1983 season. For the final few years, Dave Krieg loomed as the backup/future starter.

"What I felt was, 'Why in one day would you be talking to me like I'm awesome and then the next day, you're telling me I can't even throw the ball anymore?' I didn't lose that much ability in one day," Zorn said.

The reality hit Zorn during practice when coaches would point out everything Krieg was doing correctly.

"It didn't matter what I did - I would complete a pass and it was silence," he said. "When Dave completed a pass, it was like, 'Oh... my... gosh.' You could feel that as a player. When you're not being coached anymore, something's wrong."

With that experience as a guide, Zorn never stopped coaching Campbell and never stopped treating him as anything but the Redskins' starting quarterback.

Few can relate to what Campbell experienced since last season ended, but Zorn can. That allowed him to deftly handle the spring full of chaos by speaking to Campbell privately and not listening to the outside noise.

"I kind of have rules for myself - I don't read, listen or watch," Zorn said. "I have other people read, and I only need to hear the really significant things, and it doesn't have to do with the Redskins per se, but the league. I try to stay focused on what's true and what I know inside and what we were trying to get done."

Once training camp started and the Campbell situation was squashed, Zorn tried to get more things done by not trying to get everything done and creating a better rapport with veterans.

He let players with four or more years experience stay at their homes, throttled down the level of hitting during camp and was more open to listening and delegating.

"Last year being his first as a head coach, he felt like he had to control everything and it was all on him," said Smith, his former teammate in Seattle. "He's held still accountable for everything, but he's not responsible for all of it. He's grown into the position, no question."

The coaching staff spent the start of last season learning the personnel and each other in addition to Zorn's offense. This season, the coaches already are on the same page.

While the question of whether Snyder will pursue another mega-coach in January will hover over Redskin Park all season, the coaching staff is privately and publicly confident that Zorn is the right guy at the right time.

"We've made some great improvements," offensive line coach Joe Bugel said. "[Zorn] is a great listener, and I think he's a hell of a leader. He listens and confers with his assistants. It's not like he says, 'I know everything.' He's been super." Campbell: I need to be better

Clickthelink for more.

[/Quote]

This is a very good write-up in before the main event on Sunday. :D

Nearly all of his teammates had returned to the locker room following a recent training camp practice, but Jason Campbell continued to grind, spending 30 minutes throwing passes and wrapping up his work by running sprints up and down the field in solitude.

He walked off the field alone.

"By no means am I looking for any sympathy. I just want to play, have fun and see what happens."

Fantastic article. JC is coming to knock some heads. I love the fact that we have a coach that handled the offseason fiasco correctly and never made JC feel like he wasn't our qb.

Working hard has never been Campbell's problem. If that was all it took, there wouldn't be any issues.

What Campbell has failed to do is consistently execute when circumstances aren't entirely favorable. IMO, this is primarily due to the fact that he doesn't process the game quickly enough (very few do), which leads to excessive caution and late releases/sacks.

I'm glad that he works diligently and overtime on his fitness and mechanics. Those are important, but it won't mean much until those live action processors in his head catch up and surpass the speed of the game (i.e., the game slows down for him). I'd rather be reading that his constant study has improved his defensive recognition skills to the point where his response is instantaneous, confident, and almost always accurate - which will lead to him getting the ball out of his hands more quickly. This could do wonders for the offense.

Zorn and Campbell are tied at the hip only as much as Zorn allows it to be. If Campbell stumbles and Zorn puts Collins and the team does well, I'm pretty sure that Zorn will be OK. Plus, what is constantly overlooked is that Snyder hasn't canned a coach in 8 years - it's delusional that people are painting him as this guy who just blows through coaches of his own volition. I think Snyder has more on the line with Zorn than Zorn does with Campbell.

Working hard has never been Campbell's problem. If that was all it took, there wouldn't be any issues.

What Campbell has failed to do is consistently execute when circumstances aren't entirely favorable. IMO, this is primarily due to the fact that he doesn't process the game quickly enough (very few do), which leads to excessive caution and late releases/sacks.

No that would be our shoddy, hurt oline. As a Redskins fan you should be ashamed of yourself. We won 3 Superbowls with a superb Oline. It didn't matter the QB. Football is won and lost on the lines and when you have an Oline like we had in the second half of the season, you will lose.

As rough as I have been on JC, I am truly pulling for him and Zorn, and I really feel that JC is going to be that great leader we have been expecting and hoping out of him.

For Jim Zorn, put all your trust in your team, these guys know how to fight and never give up. For Jason Campbell, go lead YOUR team baby, and show the world your one Bad Azz quarterback with a rack of dangerous and deadly receivers.

For the NY Giants, we will see you this Sunday, and your not going to like it at all!!! :redpunch:

I'm glad that he works diligently and overtime on his fitness and mechanics. Those are important, but it won't mean much until those live action processors in his head catch up and surpass the speed of the game (i.e., the game slows down for him). I'd rather be reading that his constant study has improved his defensive recognition skills to the point where his response is instantaneous, confident, and almost always accurate - which will lead to him getting the ball out of his hands more quickly. This could do wonders for the offense.

Zorn and Campbell are tied at the hip only as much as Zorn allows it to be. If Campbell stumbles and Zorn puts Collins and the team does well, I'm pretty sure that Zorn will be OK. Plus, what is constantly overlooked is that Snyder hasn't canned a coach in 8 years - it's delusional that people are painting him as this guy who just blows through coaches of his own volition. I think Snyder has more on the line with Zorn than Zorn does with Campbell.

Well said. You should write this up and send it to the Post. Who would have known that Snyder hasn't fired a coach in 8 years? I agree about Zorn. It would be terrible to dump him even if the Skins don't make the playoffs this year, unless he totally falls on his face and loses the team. Zorn has inherited Campbell and is doing the best he can with him. If JC doesn't work out, shouldn't Zorn be able to get a QB that he picks to get this team to the next level? Snyder really stuck his neck out by making JZ his head coach. He should be totally invested into making sure Zorn is a success; and I think he is.

I hope that zorn pulls an "Any Given Sunday" ending to all of this and goes else where with his QB to another team. That way Campbell will have more years with the same offense schemes with hopefully a younger Oline. I believe Zorn will be a very good coach and Campbell to be a good QB.

They are both doomed here as long as we have a win now mentality.

I hope that zorn pulls an "Any Given Sunday" ending to all of this and goes else where with his QB to another team. That way Campbell will have more years with the same offense schemes with hopefully a younger Oline. I believe Zorn will be a very good coach and Campbell to be a good QB.

So you're actively rooting for another team to do well at our expense?

:nono:

So you're actively rooting for another team to do well at our expense?

:nono:

:gaintsuck i knew i would be called out for that. The Skins are my team first and foremost. I want to go to the SB as much as the next guy. But I will always respect the players that have gone through here...except for a few.

So you basically hope that our team fails. Great. And people call certain skeptical fans 'haters.' Why not hope they have success together NOW? If they win this year, will it still be 'win now' in DC? Isn't EVERY team 'win now' as much as they are allowed to by their situation? If they had gotten Cutler and everyone in practice said, "this guy is like some kind of cross between Christ and Steve Young" would that be a good thing or bad thing and would the team really expect to win the title in the first year of a new QB?

I hope JC puts it together. I've said even before this season that we can win a SB with him playing bus driver but if he's going to have a SECURE position, he must be a second-tier QB (meaning Brady, Manning, Brees are first tier.) If he does that we could win a SB and be competitive in other years.

Being realistic, unless you have a Brady (and the other coaching, scouting and personnel pieces) you aren't going to win multiple bowls in a decade. BUT if you can steal one and go to another one, that's a pretty successful run.

So you basically hope that our team fails. Great. And people call certain skeptical fans 'haters.' Why not hope they have success together NOW? If they win this year, will it still be 'win now' in DC? Isn't EVERY team 'win now' as much as they are allowed to by their situation? If they had gotten Cutler and everyone in practice said, "this guy is like some kind of cross between Christ and Steve Young" would that be a good thing or bad thing and would the team really expect to win the title in the first year of a new QB?

I hope JC puts it together. I've said even before this season that we can win a SB with him playing bus driver but if he's going to have a SECURE position, he must be a second-tier QB (meaning Brady, Manning, Brees are first tier.) If he does that we could win a SB and be competitive in other years.

Being realistic, unless you have a Brady (and the other coaching, scouting and personnel pieces) you aren't going to win multiple bowls in a decade. BUT if you can steal one and go to another one, that's a pretty successful run.

Whoa I never want this team to fail. Ever. I have high hopes for this team, as my coworkers here have heard over and over again. Campbell and Zorn are mentioned in the article for being joined at the hip, and has endured tough criticism. I just thought of the movie, and the true potential of Campbell.

I know that's right Cali. The Post has become too agenda driven nowadays.

I completely agree.

The Post writers are experts at manipulation, and since most people are too lazy to form their own opinion, they are ripe for a force-fed point of view which the Post is more than happy to provide. Articles that would have appeared in the op-ed section twenty years ago are now presented as news.

The series of ticket-sales articles are perfect examples. Once Again, Redskins' Public Trust in Jeopardy is a brilliant example. It covers everything that is wrong with their opinion-based writing style.

a great and positive article about the adversity facing our coach and qb, but what does it degrade into?

senseless bickering about how our qb is stupid, about how bad our owner is, etc.

this offseason has been long and tiresome with the same worn out record over and over.

it's football season, the redskins strap up sunday and everything will play out over the next 17 weeks and maybe even further.

that means drop all this same dumb arguing over stuff that you have no idea about. nothing is set and stone, and we'll find out everything soon enough.

Campbell does fine when circumstances aren't entirely favorable. He fails when circumstances are abysmal.

Archived