Luca Brasi

Ok, so I couldn't resist.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23448-2003Jul7.html

Ramsey's Contract Blocked In Council

Chief's Supporters Fear He'll Leave the District

By Craig Timberg and David A. Fahrenthold

Washington Post Staff Writers

Tuesday, July 8, 2003; Page B01

D.C. Council Chairman Linda W. Cropp abruptly canceled today's vote on a new contract for Police Chief Charles H. Ramsey, marking a setback for Mayor Anthony A. Williams's drive to keep the chief in Washington into 2008.

Cropp's move came after days of intensive lobbying over a pay and benefits package that would substantially improve Ramsey's retirement plan.

His raise, from $150,000 to $175,000, is still on schedule for a vote today and is likely to pass, she said. But the entire contract, including the bolstered retirement funding, is stuck in the Judiciary Committee, where Chairman Kathy Patterson (D-Ward 3) has said she plans to delay a vote for at least a year while monitoring Ramsey's performance.

Williams (D) and Cropp (D) sought to overcome that obstacle by pushing emergency legislation, which sidesteps the committee process but requires approval of nine of the 13 council members. Both acknowledged yesterday that they did not have enough votes, although both claimed that a majority of council members would have approved the contract if it first passed Patterson's committee.

"We need to step back for a while . . . and come back together and work it out," Cropp said. "It's important that there is ongoing dialogue between the mayor and the council, and there may even be a need for the chief to have dialogue with the council."

Administration officials had worried openly in recent months that a rejection of Ramsey's contract would lead to his departure. Ramsey was noncommittal yesterday in an interview before Cropp's action.

"Whatever happens happens," he said. "I deal with situations as they come up."

His longtime friend and former top deputy, Terrance W. Gainer, said, "He's a man that has a lot of pride in himself, and he's not going to keep kowtowing to people who don't know the job as well as he does. . . . There's other and bigger and greater opportunities for him than this."

Another Ramsey friend, Chuck Wexler of the Police Executive Research Forum, called Patterson's approach "demeaning."

"I do not believe that what he's asking for is out of proportion to what other major-city chiefs are getting," Wexler said.

Patterson and other council members have expressed dismay over delays at the 911 call center, the department's failure to mount effective and visible neighborhood patrols and the homicide rate, which is up 9 percent over last year's. Patterson said an extra year would give city officials time to see whether Ramsey makes promised progress in these and other areas.

"The mayor is now paying attention to the performance of the police department, and I hope that will mean we'll see some improvement," Patterson said.

Hours before Cropp removed the Ramsey contract from today's agenda, Williams told Washington Post reporters and editors in a luncheon interview that he would mount an aggressive public campaign to keep up pressure on the council. He likened the effort to his push three years ago to win approval for a new school board with four of nine seats appointed.

Williams said Ramsey, who has served as chief since April 1998, deserves a chance to stem rising violent crime. The mayor credited him with fixing many of the problems he inherited five years ago.

"We need to give him an opportunity to turn this around," Williams said.

Ramsey's new contract would last into 2008. He already is among the longest-serving chiefs in the city's modern history.

The mayor said he would lobby for the chief's contract "every possible way," which could include raising money for the effort and running paid advertisements.

Cropp, who said she hopes Ramsey chooses to stay as the council wrestles over his contract, said that such an effort by the mayor might backfire because of the extent of unhappiness over lackluster police patrols and the chief's proposed new salary.

"A public relations campaign could find many citizens in the city supportive of the council," she said.

John Aravosis, who runs a police watchdog Web site and has become one of Ramsey's loudest critics, said he was "elated" by news that the vote on the benefits package had been called off.

"For a long time, people have been complaining about shoddy police service, and Chief Ramsey and the mayor have been ignoring their concerns," Aravosis said. "Finally, they're paying a price for it."

The city's police union also has come out strongly against Ramsey's pay raise, arguing that more measures for accountability should be built in. Yesterday, union consultant Gary Hankins dismissed concerns that Ramsey would leave.

"If Chief Ramsey chooses to go, that is his choice," Hankins said. "There are qualified people within the department and within the profession that could replace him."

© 2003 The Washington Post Company

I think all of you guys that were fooled, should wear the clown, or the @ss avatar, instead of the poster having to wear it. If you were duped, you deserve it. I tried to warn you all ages ago, that any post that has more than 2 exclamation points in the subject line is a prank or joke. But nobody would listen. Trust me, its a law. But of course, only the amateur pranksters feel they have to resort to so many exclamation points to intensify the prank efect. The more trained and skilled pranksters, like myself, rely on substance rather than punctuation effects.

Originally posted by CrankyTodd

I think he's safe. He didnt make up anything, or twist the truth.

That's right gentlemen, I speak nothing but the truth. Besides, these opportunities are few and far between. I had to get at least one under my belt.

Originally posted by Mick

I think all of you guys that were fooled, should wear the clown, or the @ss avatar, instead of the poster having to wear it. If you were duped, you deserve it. I tried to warn you all ages ago, that any post that has more than 2 exclamation points in the subject line is a prank or joke. But nobody would listen. Trust me, its a law. But of course, only the amateur pranksters feel they have to resort to so many exclamation points to intensify the prank efect. The more trained and skilled pranksters, like myself, rely on substance rather than punctuation effects.

Or perhaps that was a "hint hint" to the more senior prankmasters and admins. ;)

We are not without senses of humor, ladies and gentlemen. Innocent little feints like this one do not warrant Clowning. Had it said something like "WP: RAMSEY TEARS ACHILLES HEEL IN DRILL, CAREER LIKELY OVER" ... well, that would be another thing entirely.

Plus, it's usually an accumulation of misdirections and fiendish finger-flips that earn one a special avatar.

This being the stretch run of long, hot weeks bereft of real news before camp begins, I suspect a couple among us will now find it irresistable to put this knowledge to the test.

So don't fret ... we may see the leather and chains yet.

Originally posted by Om

We are not without senses of humor, ladies and gentlemen. Innocent little feints like this one do not warrant Clowning. Had it said something like "WP: RAMSEY TEARS ACHILLES HEEL IN DRILL, CAREER LIKELY OVER" ... well, that would be another thing entirely.

Plus, it's usually an accumulation of misdirections and fiendish finger-flips that earn one a special avatar.

This being the stretch run of long, hot weeks bereft of real news before camp begins, I suspect a couple among us will now find it irresistable to put this knowledge to the test.

So don't fret ... we may see the leather and chains yet.

Let the Madness begin :laugh:

I say that we go by Klingon law from Star Trek and setence him to the following:

DEATH BY SLOW TORTURE!!!!

Note to Tom[Giants fan]: no one cares what you think since you are an admitted Giants fan :silly:

Archived