Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

POLL: Colt Vs. Chase Preseason Stats - Who's #3?

RonYoungEra

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

To be fair, Brennan and backups went against the NE starters in that series that ended with the pick 6. He drove the team nicely and had some crisp passes before the interception. Even the interception was a play that was a good decision but poorly executed.

Some people cannot be fair. Once again there is an argument for both sides and we have no clue in what the coaches see.

Cant wait for next sunday so we can talk about how we put the beat down on the g-men.

This shouldn't even be a discussion (for the record I am a Campbell supporter). The reason Chase looked better than Colt and had better numbers is the same reason that Colt looked so good last year. A very trimmed up playbook. Rookie Quarterbacks are not called upon to run the same plays as guys with experience. This is the reason that Colt did so well last year and was still the #3. He wasnt running the same offense as JC and TC. If you want a equal measuring stick you need to compare Colt Brennan's 2008 pre season numbers and Chase Daniel's numbers from this year. They were running the same offense and imo Colt's numbers were much better. With that said Colt also has an extra year in the system and that makes all the difference....ask Jason Campbell

Good stuff!!!

Can we see something that says you know what your talking about then?

Are you a qb coach? I mean no disrespect and I know its your opinion....I just would like to know how it is you came to this conclusion.

Yup, just my opinion. Well, this season it's obvious, his stats are worse than Chase's and he's been with this team longer.

Last year, (I can't find the stats to back this up atm) I remember his stats being comparable to colins and campbells, albeit playing against 3rd string/practice squads.

He just never showed me anything that made me think he would do better on the big stage than our current qbs.

Also, I feel like if he was the best qb in training camp, we would use him. I guess politics could play a larger part than I assume though.

I'm not on the Chase bandwagon. He was a nice preseason story, but I've been saying all along that this was Colt's job to lose and not Chase's to win. If Colt looked decent, then he should keep the job. COlt looked decent. I was mad about the pics, but I like Colt's talent and if he can just get more disciplined, I think he could develop into a nice QB.

The thing with Chase is if you recall his completions, none of his throws were particularly difficult to make plus he only threw it a measly 24 times, so what vabeachskinfan alludes to makes sense.

I love the "None of those throws are difficult" argument lol...fans love trotting that out, especially the fans who have never thrown a football in a professional, college or even a high school game in their entire lives. Fades in the red zone are a piece o' cake, you betcha :thumbsup:...that pass Chase made in between two defenders to get the ball down to the one yard line? Please *yawn*...QBs make that play with their eyes closed and drunk all the damn time.

But seriously, the coaches don't base their analysis on such superficial things as "well, that throw wasn't very hard to make"...fans do that, but the people who get paid millions to make decisions would never let something so shallow dictate their roster decisions (well, except maybe in Oakland lol).

Zorn watches to see if what he teaches in QB meetings gets translated onto the field successfully...he watches to see if what he instructs practice after practice gets instilled in his QBs' production and decision-making, or if they continue to fall back on bad habits when in the heat of a game. He looks at their mechanics, their throwing motion, the speed of their drops, the way they plant their feet, if they constantly see the best pass option or not...how they hold the ball while surveying the field...and a whole host of other aspects that fans routinely overlook or dismiss. Zorn's not gonna care if Daniel had a "scaled-back" playbook to work from or not...he's not gonna be fooled by surface aspects of each player's game.

If Colt makes the team as the #3, it's NOT going to be because "He did this well against starters while working with backups while instilling this amount of plays"...and if Chase makes the team as the #3, it's not gonna be because Zorn was fooled by the "easy throws" and "scaled-back plays" that made Chase look like a mirage or something. It will be based on things FAR more important and FAR less obvious to the casual fan.

The thing with Chase is if you recall his completions, none of his throws were particularly difficult to make plus he only threw it a measly 24 times, so what vabeachskinfan alludes to makes sense.

None of his throws? Think again. His completion to Eloi was a perfect pass. The fade passes to Mitchell weren't easy. The thing that separates Chase from Colt is pocket awareness. His abiltiy too make plays with his feet is key. Colt doesn't have that. Colt has made some bone head descisions, where Chase has not. Don't let Daniel's size fool you. He can play, and his preseason stats prove it.

I am disappointed that Colt did not step it up this year ... working out, digging into the play book, etc. to really challenge for the #2 spot.

I think he may edge out Chase, but ... he too is on the bubble. He will have to show something special this/next year to be on the squad.

Ive been a fan long before we even drafted JC.Im not here because of CB5.Im actually here because I have nothing better to do at work.....

Just to adress your point main point:

You questioned why there would be hatred/dislike of the 'cult of colt'. I explained what i feel is the primary reason. I also made great attempts to say that it isn't everyone that like colt - its a select group of them. I may have used 'you' too loosely - not specifically meaning you, rubynj, but 'you' as in the select group. If you're not in that group, then they aren't directed at you; the people its directed at know who they are.

Thats all I was trying to say - not specifically call into your (specifically you) fanhood of the team; but the select group I was referecing to explain why there are a few people who wouldn't mind the 'cult of colt' going away permanently.

Chase is no Flutie... I thought he had no chance to make this team. But, in the end it comes down to this. When they got to the red zone, Chase threw touchdowns, Colt threw picks. I don't care if it's correctable or not.. you don't have to correct it with Chase.

Watching the games... Colt was showing all the traits people complain about JC. He was slow to make decisions, and stutter stepped a lot in the pocket. Chase went out there, got the ball out of his hands, or made plays when he couldn't.

I voted for Chase.

Chase didnt look good the first half because we had our backup O-line playing aganist the jaguars starters. Colt will get crushed even with our starting o-line aganist starters in the NFL. He threw 2 picks in the redzone aganist 2nd and 3rd stringers and runs away from the pocket to early. Chase has better fundamentals, Colt is still a project.

Chase didnt look good the first half because we had our backup O-line playing aganist the jaguars starters. Colt will get crushed even with our starting o-line aganist starters in the NFL. He threw 2 picks in the redzone aganist 2nd and 3rd stringers and runs away from the pocket to early. Chase has better fundamentals, Colt is still a project.

For every person who gets mad at someone saying Colt could start...Does the same not apply when someone makes a bold prediction saying he would get crushed playing with a starting caliber o-line? Then saying he runs from the pocket too easy...Chase gets praise for decision making when he takes off and runs.

I noticed one particular play where colt started running and then made a nice throw to a rb out in the flat.

Zorn watches to see if what he teaches in QB meetings gets translated onto the field successfully...he watches to see if what he instructs practice after practice gets instilled in his QBs' production and decision-making, or if they continue to fall back on bad habits when in the heat of a game. He looks at their mechanics, their throwing motion, the speed of their drops, the way they plant their feet, if they constantly see the best pass option or not...how they hold the ball while surveying the field...and a whole host of other aspects that fans routinely overlook or dismiss. Zorn's not gonna care if Daniel had a "scaled-back" playbook to work from or not...he's not gonna be fooled by surface aspects of each player's game.

If Colt makes the team as the #3, it's NOT going to be because "He did this well against starters while working with backups while instilling this amount of plays"...and if Chase makes the team as the #3, it's not gonna be because Zorn was fooled by the "easy throws" and "scaled-back plays" that made Chase look like a mirage or something. It will be based on things FAR more important and FAR less obvious to the casual fan.

Not sure if I agree with this because even Meidt made it a point to mention that Chase was playing with a more watered down version of the playbook and again thought it important to mention that Chase should be able to incorporate 80% of the playbook in the game against the Jags. "Should be" being the key words. It has been widely know that Colt has been playing with the full playbook and running the offense that they will be using this year. It must be important if they felt they had to mention it several times.

Not sure if I agree with this because even Meidt made it a point to mention that Chase was playing with a more watered down version of the playbook and again thought it important to mention that Chase should be able to incorporate 80% of the playbook in the game against the Jags. "Should be" being the key words. It has been widely know that Colt has been playing with the full playbook and running the offense that they will be using this year. It must be important if they felt they had to mention it several times.

It doesn't matter because neither of these QBs is gonna see the field this season, so the amount of the playbook they're able to incorporate is pretty much irrelevant. Plus, I meant Zorn's decision as to which QB to make #3 is not gonna be based on things like "Well, Chase had a scaled-back playbook, so that works against him"...that only matters to fans.

Archived