Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI: SPOTLIGHT- Devin Thomas, Wide receiver

GhostofSparta

Per bubba in Breaking News...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/09/01/redskins/#ixzz0Q0B7W7D9

Clink link for entire article

SPOTLIGHT- Devin Thomas, Wide receiver

Change is coming for a receiving corps that tied for 28th in the NFL in receptions of 20 or more yards. Namely, the Redskins want one of their two second-round receivers from 2008, Thomas or Malcolm Kelly, to step into the flanker role, which would allow 5' 10" Antwaan Randle El to slide into the slot position, where he could be a matchup nightmare. Of the two, Thomas has made the bigger strides toward emerging from the doghouse in which both players found themselves as rookies.

The trouble began last August when the pair failed the team's physical-conditioning test. Each missed time with a hamstring injury in camp, and Kelly suffered a knee injury and has since had two surgeries. The healthier Thomas suited up for 16 games (to Kelly's five) and began to click around midseason, when he had three-catch games against the tough secondaries of Pittsburgh, Dallas and Baltimore.

The experience gave Thomas a better understanding of the Skins' West Coast attack, and Zorn says that as his route-running has sharpened, he has been more able to put his physical assets -- notably long arms and sprinter's speed -- to use. "Devin is clearly able to concentrate a little more on beating his defender rather than on remembering what his route is," Zorn says. The job is Thomas's for the taking.

Yeah tell ES something we haven't been talking about all off season lol. Thomas or Kelly is going to have a break out year. Hell if one of them steps up. We might finally get our money's worth out of Randle El. I'm kinda excited about our receiving corps this year. I think if the offense starts clicking. This unit could be dangerous.

Yeah tell ES something we haven't been talking about all off season lol. Thomas or Kelly is going to have a break out year. Hell if one of them steps up. We might finally get our money's worth out of Randle El. I'm kinda excited about our receiving corps this year. I think if the offense starts clicking. This unit could be dangerous.

I agree but. I think Thomas won't start the season at WR. That's going to be Randle El's job to start out. Since neither Thomas nor Kelly has really shined. We'll see though. All things considered. We need one of them to step up.

I think Kelly will be #2 but he will share that role with Thomas. They are both big but are different types of receivers.

What is really important is that either one of them will draw some attention away from Cooley, ARE, and Moss. I don't care which one of them is on the field as long as they do that.

ARE is going to have a MONSTER year if that happens.

I think Kelly will be #2 but he will share that role with Thomas. They are both big but are different types of receivers.

What is really important is that either one of them will draw some attention away from Cooley, ARE, and Moss. I don't care which one of them is on the field as long as they do that.

ARE is going to have a MONSTER year if that happens.

In our win @ Philly last year, DT was in the game on 3rd & 12, and Asante Samuel was matched up on him. He played way off him because Samuel feared DT's speed. DT made a big catch for a 1st down. And that was last year, when he was still very raw (though he might still be a bit raw). If they're in the game and get some balls thrown their way, they'll have to respect that. And I agree about ARE--supposedly he's been having a great camp, and he's been lined up in the slot in practice, from what I understand. If JC and the Oline can hold things up on their end, we could have a dangerous offense.

Kelly will be our number 2 receiver week 1.

I think you might be right about that but I also think that it will closer to a job share with both Kelly and Thomas seeing snaps unless one of them really separates.

They are different types of receiver really. Kelly is a possesion receiver while Thomas is more explosive especially after the catch.

Whatever with Moss and ARE plus these two and the potential of Mitchell I feel pretty good about receiving group. Add in Cooley and hopefully Davis and Campbell has people to throw to.

In defense of our receivers, how many throws were made of 20 yards or more? Not too many at all, that's for sure. Jason needs to air this ball out this season and let his receivers make the big plays. Moss hasn't lost a step, Kelly has stepped it up and has the size and speed to be another threat, ARE is a consistant and good receiver, and Cooley can still get it done. DT can be a great threat as well. We have a very good defense and all the makings to win this division. Go get er done Jason, we are long over-due for a division title.

I believe the only constant at WR will be Moss at number one. Thomas, Kelly, and ARE will probably alternate until one becomes dominate.

If I'm not mistaken, Thomas and ARE (Moss injured) started against the Ravens. It was Moss and Kelly that began the game versus the Steelers. Last week, the game started with Moss and ARE. All four were on the field the very next play.

Archived