Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins Fans Waited While Brokers Got Tickets

bubba9497

Did anyone catch this at the end?

Former staff writer Jason La Canfora and researcher Julie Tate contributed to this article. La Canfora now works for NFL Network.

Unbelievable. There is no way this article is anywhere close to accurate -- you can throw out all its claims. I bet the numbers are inflated, too. And I'm sure Mr. Snyder won't let this slander pass unnoticed. Finally, this might start a lawsuit that takes down the Post.

I did catch that, and was just about to post it until I read your response. You had to have a feeling that he was some how behind this. Anything that bashes the Skins, that man seems to be behind. The skins must of really hazed him or something to have such a strong hatered for a team.

You're an idiot if you think Daniel Snyder was personally involved in any of this, he is simply too far up the organizational totem pole to have a hand in establishing individual ticket contracts. That being said, the culture that has been created in the operational offices allowed greed and laziness on the part of the ticket office employees to go unchecked. Someone should have been discovered this a long time ago. Ownership shares some blame in creating this type of working environment.

This article only identified part of the problem with the stadium.

This is a prime example why it was difficult for me to sell my tickets up against the sheer volume of the tickets the team itself was selling. I had a felling that the team was using Stub Hub as an adjunct ticket office. This proves it.
Fury constitutes the other part of the problem. Fans should not sell their season tickets through secondary brokers if they can't control who buys them. If you list the Steelers/Eagle/Cowboys/Giants thru a broker, you damn sure know that those fans will buy them.

Hopefully the fixes identified in this article are reflected at home games this year. I won't be holding my breath though.

I did catch that, and was just about to post it until I read your response. You had to have a feeling that he was some how behind this. Anything that bashes the Skins, that man seems to be behind. The skins must of really hazed him or something to have such a strong hatered for a team.

Or maybe as beat reporter he saw a lot of BS and wants the fans to really know what's going on.

Let me get this right it was JLC fault for these tickets getting to the scalpers.......please.

I really think the NFL should do something such as putting rules in that ticket offices cannot do what the Redskins did, such as selling tickets directly to ticket brokers, or by offering tickets on stub hub. That puts the Redskins as the direct seller to tickets over face. I can't remember that last time that someone has actually gotten tickets off of stub hub for face value, and when you throw in those 10% fees, I would guess you can't get tickets for face unless you’re a Lions fan or something.

If only this would have come out yesterday when Goodell was at Redskins Park he could addressed this. As the article stated, there are no rules in the NFL when it comes to teams directly selling tickets to ticket brokers, or by placing tickets for sale on reselling sites such as stub hub or Ticketmaster exchange which just isn’t right. Why can’t they do what most teams did before the internet, and just have a good old fashion ticket sale at the ticket box office at the stadium, so if you want to purchase tickets and there are leftovers, you go wait in line and purchase tickets. Or they can even use way they have been using for the past few seasons, where they send out an e-mail saying that the opposing teams have returned a select number of tickets and to call them now to buy.

I also had the pleasure of speaking with Mr Friedman while attempting to upgrade a pair of TGC seats. After reminding him that those memberships came with a hefty price tag and were advertised with "priority relocation every year, if available" he proceeded to tell me that there was no lower bowl availability for upgrades. Now I find out that he's selling hundreds of tickets to ASC.

Hey Mr Friedman

I hope they fire your ass.

You should call his butt up and quote him, and then mention this article, and ask him if that might be the reason to why there were no lower bowl availability for upgrades. That’s a complete slap in the face, and like the Post said, the easy way out for the ticket office, lets just sell hundreds of tickets to one ticket broker instead of selling those same hundred to 50 fans.

Going small has worked in baseball.

The Pirates won two World Series and played in something like 10 NLCS while in 55' date='000 seat Three Rivers. Don't quote me, but my understanding is that they never once sold out a game - not a World Series game, not a playoff game, nothing.

They moved in 38,000-seat PNC Park and have been the worst team in baseball ever since. And I think they average something like 33,000 fans a game with many sell-outs thrown into the mix. At higher prices than in Three Rivers.[/quote']

The problem with your example is that Three Rivers was a multi-use stadium. It is never attractive to see baseball (and sometimes football as well) in a multi-use stadium. That's why there has been a trend in recent years away from that. PNC Park is just a more pleasant place to see a game.

I'll say the same about FedEx Field over RFK, tho to a lesser degree. The main negatives to FedEx Field is mostly about getting there. Parking is a mess and metroing there isn't nearly as convenient as RFK was.

That being said, the sightlines in general are better, the seats are better, the concessions and bathrooms are better. (all IMO) I wouldn't be in favor of shrinking things all THAT much, because I'd like to actually go to a game, something that was difficult to do in the RFK days.

The problem with your example is that Three Rivers was a multi-use stadium. It is never attractive to see baseball (and sometimes football as well) in a multi-use stadium. That's why there has been a trend in recent years away from that. PNC Park is just a more pleasant place to see a game.

I'll say the same about FedEx Field over RFK, tho to a lesser degree. The main negatives to FedEx Field is mostly about getting there. Parking is a mess and metroing there isn't nearly as convenient as RFK was.

That being said, the sightlines in general are better, the seats are better, the concessions and bathrooms are better. (all IMO) I wouldn't be in favor of shrinking things all THAT much, because I'd like to actually go to a game, something that was difficult to do in the RFK days.

It's not like it's hard to see a game at the Linc or at Whatever Baltimore's Stadium is called this year.

FedEx IS essentially a multi-use stadium. It's much closer in design to the 1970s cereal bowl stadia than it is to Lincoln Financial.

FedEx has decent site lines, but in the upper deck, you are closer to the moon than to the field.

And, trust me, if the Stadium fit 70k or 75K, you still see a game. It might involve a little more effort than the current approach of walking to the front gate and waiting for someone to hand you a free ticket, but it would not bankrupt you.

That is the whole point of reducing the size, making it difficult to actually find a ticket.

You no longer would have that opposing infiltration because if a Redskins fan has trouble getting seats, opposing fans will also

I don't understand why the post acts like no one knew this.....brokers have been dominatting craigslist ebay stub hub and every other ticket sales venue for ever. Rarely have I bought tix from someone who is actually a fan.... its always some douche trying to rip off the fan base.....If Snyder is really eliminating the problem then kudos to him im glad he is actually giving fans a chance....

How has no one made the connection yet? The ticket agent in question was Friedman. The owner of ASC ticket is Greenberg....

Not a coordinated move my friend, this dastardly plot is nothing more than...

A Jewish Conspiracy!!!!:paranoid::paranoid::paranoid::paranoid:

Yes, that was a joke you half-wits. Anyway, I'd be a lot more pissed off if I hadn't gotten upgraded seats this year, but this B.S. has got to end. And how can brokers possibly sue over the contracts, I thought there was a clause that came with every ticket stating the Redskins could cancel on you at any time as they deemed fit.

And Snyder is a member of the tribe too, is he not? And his mentor is Mort Zuckerman.

My God....we are through the looking glass, people.

FedEx has decent site lines' date=' but in the upper deck, you are closer to the moon than to the field.[/quote']

I actually like it in the upper deck, and I don't feel like I'm closer to the moon when I sit up there. :whoknows:

And, trust me, if the Stadium fit 70k or 75K, you still see a game. It might involve a little more effort than the current approach of walking to the front gate and waiting for someone to hand you a free ticket, but it would not bankrupt you.

I said GREATLY reduce. 70-75K isn't greatly reduced. At the same time, I don't blame Snyder trying to maximize stadium space so that he can bring in more revenue. Given the debt he's servicing and what he spends on the team, it is understandable.

That is the whole point of reducing the size, making it difficult to actually find a ticket.

You no longer would have that opposing infiltration because if a Redskins fan has trouble getting seats, opposing fans will also

A better solution would be to have a better product on the field. If the Skins were a consistent winner, this wouldn't be a problem.

Can someone remind me what Ted Leonsis did regarding ticket sales that kept Pittsburgh fans basically out of the Verizon Center? I realize FedEx has almost 5x as many seats, but there's got to be a way to minimize the number of tickets that get sold to out-of-towners.

This article is talking about a really small number of tickets per game. It doesn't do much to account for the number of Steelers fans at that game, for example. However, it is an extremely interesting read...especially the sales on StubHub by employees for twice face value...
ASC had 1,690 LL seats/game last year. That is 1 broker. How many other brokers were there? At least 15. If each broker had 1,500 tickets, that is 22,500 tickets. That doesn't include the "premium" seats they were required to purchase in order to get the GA seats. Add to that the 2,000 or so season ticket holders (minimum 4,000 tickets/game) that resell their tickets each game and you are looking at basically half the GA tickets in the stadium. That is the Steelers game last year. The article only focused on ASC because it is local and the owner was open to going on record. A simple statistical analysis using extrapolation of the numbers cited by the Post, and half the GA tix are up for resale on the secondary market.

I am not in the conspiracy theory camp that believes Snyder is a knowing accomplice in all this... but here is something to keep in mind: it may actually be more profitable for the team to have visiting fans in the stadium than it is to have the season ticket holders. Visiting fans are less likely to tailgate (so more likely to spend an arm and a leg on food and drinks) and more likely to use the cash lots, among other things.

Can someone remind me what Ted Leonsis did regarding ticket sales that kept Pittsburgh fans basically out of the Verizon Center? I realize FedEx has almost 5x as many seats, but there's got to be a way to minimize the number of tickets that get sold to out-of-towners.
Ted Leonsis will feel this pain this year. A ton of brokers swept in and bought up the Caps season tickets, the expensive ones b/w the blue lines. You have been warned, there is no way the entire Verizon Center was sold to Season Ticket holders in 72 hours. There will be 20-25% visiting fans, with the Flyers, Rangers and Penguins increasing that %.

A better solution would be to have a better product on the field. If the Skins were a consistent winner, this wouldn't be a problem.

I call BS on that.

The Skins were, what, 6-2 and being talked about as a Super Bowl contender when 35,000 Steeler fans showed up unannounced. You had the same problem when Gibbs came back. You had the same problem after the first playoff appearance of Gibbs II. And you are certainly going to have the same problem during an economic meltdown.

No pro fan base can consistently fill a stadium as big as FedEx. And Jerry Jones is going to learn this lesson the hard way the first time the Cowboys start a season 1-3.

I think every sports team and big name performing act has been selling tix to brokers for years. I'm alright with it b/c it's just a way of getting true market value for the product.

$105 loge seats on ASC last year were true market value, and certainly not the $500 per seat those wealthy STHs were paying.

I'm bummed that it doesn't sound like ASC will have the great deals on Redskins tix this year.

i wonder what happened to those lower bowl seats that the redskins "recovered" when they canceled the tickets of the post, and several other long time season ticket holders for reselling---but not through stub hub. those would be interesting to track.

Likely the reason why I and some others got moved down to the lower bowl at the very end of the upgrade process.

Archived