Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Disney Buys Marvel for $4 Billion

mjah

Hey, you financial types: I'm looking at Disney's stock page (I've been thinking about buying some of them for months). What I'm seeing is that Disney's total market cap is $48B.

Am I reading correctly, that Disney basically said that Marvel is worth 1/10 as much as Disney is?

To my admittedly non-expert mind, that sounds like a huge overpayment to me. I would have expected Disney to be 50 or 100 times what Marvel is, simply because of all the myriad things that Disney owns.

Hey, you financial types: I'm looking at Disney's stock page (I've been thinking about buying some of them for months). What I'm seeing is that Disney's total market cap is $48B.

Am I reading correctly, that Disney basically said that Marvel is worth 1/10 as much as Disney is?

To my admittedly non-expert mind, that sounds like a huge overpayment to me. I would have expected Disney to be 50 or 100 times what Marvel is, simply because of all the myriad things that Disney owns.

Disney's looking at the big picture. They'll make that 4 billion over a few times. From movies, DVD sales, TV and new themed rides just to name a few. This was a smart move by Disney.

Disney's looking at the big picture. They'll make that 4 billion over a few times. From movies, DVD sales, TV and new themed rides just to name a few. This was a smart move by Disney.

Very long term, since they will have to wait for licening deals to run out.

Jim Hill's thoughts on the potential merger.

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2009/08/31/monday-mouse-watch-marvel-acquisition-offers-significant-challenges-huge-potential-rewards-for-the-walt-disney-company.aspx

Very long term, since they will have to wait for licening deals to run out.

Jim Hill's thoughts on the potential merger.

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2009/08/31/monday-mouse-watch-marvel-acquisition-offers-significant-challenges-huge-potential-rewards-for-the-walt-disney-company.aspx

That was a good read. It will defenantly take years to recoop the 4 billion they payed. But I'm sure they know that.

Not really, I was curious so I looked up a couple of the movies. I looked at all three spiderman movies, all four x-men movies, and iron man. All of those movies made about 4.5 billion combined. Production costs were about 1.2 billion. That is just from the theater release, that is not including all the merchandising that goes with it. It will take about 5 years but disney stands to make a all of their money back and then some, easy. Marvel has a TON of characters that people love.

Looking at recent historical Marvel movie performance as an indicator of near-future Marvel movie performance is probably a really bad idea.

yeah you mean like 8 movies making 4.5 billion dollars. That is not even including all of the movies that they have made.

yeah you mean like 8 movies making 4.5 billion dollars. That is not even including all of the movies that they have made.

Revenue ain't everything. And $2.5 billion of that revenue is Spider-man, and that has taken since 2000 to amass (considering the actual schedule of spending on the first movie). The future revenue of that franchise will be nowhere near its past performance.

Another $2.5 billion is X-men, which is essentially exhausted as a major box office juggernaut and also has been around since 2000.

Iron Man, they'll probably get another 2 movies out of. It did very well and it's my favorite Marvel comic movie so far, but it's not enough to fill in the void left by the other declining Marvel movie properties.

Hulk as a solo franchise is dead.

Overall the Marvel dynamo is decelerating at the theaters. Show me the next Spider-man or X-men or Iron Man equivalent franchise from the Marvel stable -- one well-known enough to weather the coming decline of comic book movies. Avengers? Thor? I really doubt it.

I'm not saying Disney won't profit from this someday. And the future returns from an infinitely-long string of revenue years is obviously greater than $4B. But that's not enough to call it a near-term profit, nor is that enough to call $4B a good price to have paid. The money has to come pouring in VERY quickly if this purchase is to eclipse all other options Disney had for investing that $4B.

The profits will have to come substantially from non-box-office sources. So look for about three trillion tie-ins of all conceivable varieties. My prediction is, Marvel comic stuff will be hawked to a degree that makes today's Marvel merchandising look paltry. And ironically, that brings the danger of oversaturating the public to the point of hastening the inevitable end of this round of comic book movies.

Good purchase, questionable price.

Good point. But I'll say this, when my local Six Flags park was sold, they removed everything DC and Looney Tunes related almost over night.

The difference at Universal is that the rides are heavily themed. Not just some costumed characters and a name slapped on a ride sign.

Re-theming the Spider-man ride in particular would be a multi-million-dollar endeavor.

The difference at Universal is that the rides are heavily themed. Not just some costumed characters and a name slapped on a ride sign.

Re-theming the Spider-man ride in particular would be a multi-million-dollar endeavor.

Maybe this is all just a clever ploy to knock off their biggest competitor in the Orlando theme park market. Next in line: Shamu.

Archived